Teenager Thunberg angrily tells U.N. climate summit 'you have stolen my dreams'

webfact

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Quite a few along the same lines as yours. Add in conversion to hydrogen-based fuels. Houses that generate their own electricity and store their own water. Instead of millions of cars going to shopping malls, have thousands of delivery vans servicing internet shopping, as it was before the car population exploded.

Accelerate the development of thorium -based nuclear reactors to generate electricity. Inherently safe.

Reward savers instead of borrowers. Scrap the current indicators of economic "success",  and replace them with KPI's based on a country's environmental performance. Tax multinationals on their revenue streams instead of their declared profits. Punish countries who permit indiscriminate burning and logging with sanctions.

Mandate biodegradable plastic. If it doesn't break down, ban it.

Some of this may happen. My guess is the majority will not

have thousands of delivery vans servicing internet shopping, as it was before the car population exploded.

Internet before the car explosion? Sears Roebuck & Company catalog?  

image.png.2fb7c9d35d0c42032739a92d44fbae1d.png

Several of your ideas are good, but I would immediately focus on rampant dumb down consumerism, and cheap disposable products, 'disposabolism'.  In addition, the consumer societies could easily get by with 20% less of everything. Although that only offers one time reduction in CO2 emissions, it would help meet immediate climate goals. Why won't it happen? Because it will cause the mother of all recessions. Better to tell the sheep we need trillions to fix it. There in lies the unspoken truth. Global warming is real as far are we can understand, and, it is potentially the biggest rip off there ever was and ever will be as long as people have blind faith. If you think it's hard to change human ignorance, just try to change human greed. 

3 minutes ago, rabas said:

Although that only offers one time reduction in CO2 emissions, it would help meet immediate climate goals. Why won't it happen? Because it will cause the mother of all recessions.

Agree, that's a really inconvenient truth.

33 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

By posting the same old, a hundred times debunked youtube- clip over and over and over again, stating that it tooooootally debunks all and every scientist in the world, relevant for climate science?

Yeah...I am absolutely shaking in my boots!

there are more clips going into specifics, but this one covers all arguments, not just the failed co2 argument.

here, have a spin at this

2 hours ago, brokenbone said:

no, i consulted ice samples and a real scientist on oceanography, watch from 21.50 to 28.00.

do you have six minutes to spare ?

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49817804?ns_source=facebook&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&fbclid=IwAR263eKW_6XO5P3e-_T3ujGrTVmRF3jz3IqmogH9P6JzZl_E0SLkuMCDVtc

3 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

newsflash, it got nothing to do with man,

oceans takes many hundreds of years to react to temperature changes, ie what happens to sea levels today was caused during medieval times,

coincidentally the time you want to warp back to

44 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

Seriously?

It's all over the internet!

Afaik you can do your educating for yourself!

Try this: https://climate.nasa.gov/

I just had a look on their article, their article is based on a document written by a few scientists, and the wording in the document itself sometimes says "extremely likely more than 51% anthropogenic" to "likely substantial" a sentence later (on a global scale we could call 10% substantial). They also disregard results from Antartica, which is always our base line of climate change, because of "observational uncertainties". Didn't the results from Antartica comply with their opinion?

This doesn't confirm your first statement of "scientific community says the climate change is man made".

1 hour ago, Saint Nick said:

Oh ...great!

So the vast majority of the (significant for climate and stuff) scientific community says climate change is real and man made!

Happy, we got that settled, then!

Plenty of well educated and experienced scientists disagree with the consensus. No scientist should ever claim that the science is "settled" which is a nonsense. Science is never "settled", or we'd still be learning that the world is flat, the sun revolves around the earth, tobacco is not harmful and sugar is good for us.

1 hour ago, Saint Nick said:

You do understand, she was talking before the UNITED NATIONS, right!?

Has China signed up to any UN resolution to combat climate change, considering they are still building coal fired power stations?

I heard on the radio that they have asked for some of the UN money for developing nations to combat climate change, LOL.

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Has China signed up to any UN resolution to combat climate change, considering they are still building coal fired power stations?

I heard on the radio that they have asked for some of the UN money for developing nations to combat climate change, LOL.

The question was "why doesn't she tell China"?

Not whatever you are answering to!

I know, it is your trade to move the goalpost or -even better- just totally chop it down!

But she WAS talking to China!

End of!

1 hour ago, rabas said:

have thousands of delivery vans servicing internet shopping, as it was before the car population exploded.

Internet before the car explosion? Sears Roebuck & Company catalog?  

image.png.2fb7c9d35d0c42032739a92d44fbae1d.png

Several of your ideas are good, but I would immediately focus on rampant dumb down consumerism, and cheap disposable products, 'disposabolism'.  In addition, the consumer societies could easily get by with 20% less of everything. Although that only offers one time reduction in CO2 emissions, it would help meet immediate climate goals. Why won't it happen? Because it will cause the mother of all recessions. Better to tell the sheep we need trillions to fix it. There in lies the unspoken truth. Global warming is real as far are we can understand, and, it is potentially the biggest rip off there ever was and ever will be as long as people have blind faith. If you think it's hard to change human ignorance, just try to change human greed. 

I think I can say I have converted to minimalism in my life. And while I do still enjoy life, I have found there is a lot of expensive <deleted> I simply don't need.

I doubt I will be around to see the full effects of what is coming. It won't be pretty. However, that does not prevent me from having a conscience about it.

48 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

newsflash, it got nothing to do with man,

oceans takes many hundreds of years to react to temperature changes, ie what happens to sea levels today was caused during medieval times,

coincidentally the time you want to warp back to

The experts dont agree with you. They have given their decision.

Please provide your credentials and report to nasa and UN for due consideration. Maybe they will take note and reverse.

7 minutes ago, Sujo said:

The experts dont agree with you. They have given their decision.

Please provide your credentials and report to nasa and UN for due consideration. Maybe they will take note and reverse.

Careful!

He has a youtube- clip!

Even two!

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and some experts don't agree with your experts. The science is not settled.

Thousands studied it all. Its settled. Those not agreeing werent good enough to be selected to do the research.

But anyone could make submissions. So a couple of crackpots are a bit miffed their misguided reporting didnt sway the decision.

Its decided. Its settled. Just because u dont like that fact does not make u right

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given this thread is about Greta, does anyone know what dreams she had that we stole from her?

She seems rather angry for a 16 year old that has lived a privileged life.

Yeah that autism stuff is a real privilege.

12 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Thousands studied it all. Its settled. Those not agreeing werent good enough to be selected to do the research.

But anyone could make submissions. So a couple of crackpots are a bit miffed their misguided reporting didnt sway the decision.

Its decided. Its settled. Just because u dont like that fact does not make u right

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

9 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Which is irrelevant because its settled.

A person that does not believe the experts after studying the for and against is indeed a fool.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh, we've been told that it hasn't affected her intelligence. There are different levels of the disorder. If she can address the UN it can't be very severe.

Her autism seems to have affected some posters here.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given this thread is about Greta, does anyone know what dreams she had that we stole from her?

She seems rather angry for a 16 year old that has lived a privileged life.

That the world would be full of birds, bees and flowers for her generation and generations to come, perhaps. These things can no longer be taken for granted. Populations of all of them have plumetted in just a few years. Mock if you will, but Nature is the touchstone of all meaning. It is rapidly being stripped out of life by technology. This is the existential threat.

Oh, we've been told that it hasn't affected her intelligence. There are different levels of the disorder. If she can address the UN it can't be very severe.

They’ve let an evil clown address the UN twice now so by itself that is no ringing endorsement

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Plenty of well educated and experienced scientists disagree with the consensus. No scientist should ever claim that the science is "settled" which is a nonsense. Science is never "settled", or we'd still be learning that the world is flat, the sun revolves around the earth, tobacco is not harmful and sugar is good for us.

Well google flat earth...Plenty of people think the world IS flat....

Archived