Chinese tourists are heading back to Thailand at last

webfact

3 hours ago, mushroomdave said:

I have 2 Thai friends that are Licensed Chinese Guides and they haven't had a tour in 6 weeks or more (they where previously turning down tours before since they were so busy and needed breaks).  They told me yesterday that most of the companies they are hired by have said none in the near future so both have taken up p-time jobs.  Don't believe the story!

Or your friends aren’t very good at their jobs and the companies have found someone better/cheaper. 

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh well, have to say I'm happy not to be there then. Last time I went to Koh Larn the Chinese covered the beach to the extent it was not a pleasant experience, and the speed boats arriving and departing every 5 minutes ruined any chance of a pleasant relaxing day.

Try one of the beaches that the ferry doesn't go to. Chinese are easily avoided

28 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

Or your friends aren’t very good at their jobs and the companies have found someone better/cheaper. 

Yah, they were real bad at their jobs lol.......some people just like reading what they want......think you may need someone to read this again to you and explain:  "they where previously turning down tours before since they were so busy and needed breaks"

Edited by mushroomdave

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

I don't know, sometimes i get the feelings that the guys in the TAT just letting go announcements regarding tourism in Thailand according to how they feel and to try to spruke the industry with all sorts of figures and numbers pulled pretty much out of their collective derrieres...

Hmm.  You seem to think they are using a much more scientific approach than I do.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

I don't know, sometimes i get the feelings that the guys in the TAT just letting go announcements regarding tourism in Thailand according to how they feel and to try to spruke the industry with all sorts of figures and numbers pulled pretty much out of their collective derrieres...

I agree. Less than 3 weeks ago they were lamenting that with the exception of Malaysia, Chinese visitors were also down in Vietnam and Cambodia and showing little understanding why. Now all of a sudden they have this unexpected and unseen spike in Chinese arrivals. This recent windfall is despite sending delegations on taxpayer funded marketing junkets where it appears the participants were unaware that Chinese school summer holidays ended in late August and early September, hence the drop in numbers and we are now closing in on National Day holiday in early October hence the slight uptick for the last official holiday of the year.

If not the most inept government entity, they must be right up their challenging SRT for the gold medal in dismal, sycophantic, bureaucratic ineptitude.

• Like 2

Two things:

1. From Bloomberg: Chinese tour group arrivals plunged 86% in Hong Kong for the biggest travel period in the Chinese calendar. Everything is empty due to the ongoing protests. Taipei won't be a favourite alternative either. 

2. With Golden Travel Week starting Oct. 1, millions are on the road already, avoiding HK, and seemingly some diverting to Bangkok. 

TAT's triumphant report conveniently ignores the obvious conditions. 

• Like 1