Need Retirement place for 70

29 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I did look up various ressources, usually in US related articles they say the top 15% are upper middle class, but i couldn't figure out how much income you need to be top 15% in Thailand. But when looking at the numbers it is generally about twice the average income.

Ressources in German say if you have twice the average income you are not considered middle class anymore, but "wealthy".

The average income in Thailand is about 20k THB (for a single person), OP has 42k.

So we can say he is upper middle class in Thailand.

You can say whatever enters your head, but you would be wrong.

Your error is to think of class as simply comprised of earnings/acquired assets whereas there are other important factors to consider.

If you wanted to say that the average income in Thailand is Bt 20,000 p.a I would have no issue with you.Equally if you wanted to say the average income of the wealthiest 15% was Baht 40,000, I would not dissent (although that figure looks rather low)

But upper middle class is something rather different invoving matters of education, profession and social status.It would describe for example the affluent urbanites in Bangkok and the larger cities.Actually given globalization upper middle class means much the same thing in one country as another.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Definition of class depends on your nationality, Americans generally only consider money, probably because that's all they have.

Europeans mostly only consider, education and parentage.

I'd put the Thais in with the Euro definition as Thailand has a feudal social system.

A Thai with dark skin and an Issan farming family will never be considered anything but lower class.

Actually it's mostly money everywhere including Europe.But class exists in the USA.Look at Trump, rich as Croesus, but seen as a low class vulgarian by the elite.

I don't think Thailand is that class conscious though you're right there's prejudice against darker skinned Isarn farming types - less so in my experience in last 20 years or so.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, madmen said:

What you mean is a 26 sqm 30 year old condo with a squeaky fan and in the middle of no where. What a way to live out the golden years...yuk!!

The guy is trying to do this on 500k a year and I suggested this price as a second home for a couple months a year when the weather in Chiang Mai us bad... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Latin America. Some countries there you can:

Easily afford to live at an upper middle class level

Same as in Thailand, with that income them. No different.

Even be able to buy into national health programs in some countries

And that will be totally free, and will not take anything away from the upper middle class level you were mentioning?

I would strongly advise forgetting about Thailand at your financial level. You aren't even really welcome here at that level.

Have you been taking your own advice yet? Are you still here?

Yes you could do it if you can afford to lock up 800k baht or pay for an elite card but you would be building a life here on quicksand.

No life on quicksand if you follow the rules.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Momofarang said:

Yes, but certain lifestyles require stamina and or support from love ones. At 70, being a newbie, single and on a budget, in Thailand is more than adventurous. I'd rather go back paragliding.

Don't get what you mean when you say "The income option and contamination of the two is still available."?

By "contamination" you mean going to an "agent"?

By changing the word " combination "  to " contamination " , are you trying to be funny , or is there a genuine misunderstanding of English language here ?

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, gimo said:

By changing the word " combination "  to " contamination " , are you trying to be funny , or is there a genuine misunderstanding of English language here ?

Just so you know, the original post did have the word "contamination" in it due to auto-correct The original poster corrected the wording to be "combination" after the person below questioned its use. Not hard to figure out what happened if you read the follow-up posts by the 2 posters...

11 hours ago, Momofarang said:

Don't get what you mean when you say "The income option and contamination of the two is still available."?

By "contamination" you mean going to an "agent"?

Edited by BertM

I am the guy that met my wife in Bangkok and then found myself in Phrae, where her family home was located. This small town now has everything I need to make life both comfortable and reasonably cost effective for a 74 Year old Expat Retiree. There are the Thai Hospital, Christian Hospital, and Phrae Ram Hospital, not to mention many good Clinics available.

There is a Local Airport that connects you with Bangkok an Chaing Mai (2 1/2 hour drive), also Bus station, and Train Station in Den Chai (45 min drive). A new Immigration Office will open here last of September. Along with Big C, Tesco, and Makro stores where you can get most all Expat Food supplies. Many rentals and other offers to make your Home possible. It is a Good and Laid back life here. I have to admit having a Thai Family and Children, makes all the difference in the world.

All that said: You never know what new schemes or Red Tape Immigration will come up with next.

This latest round over the TM30 issue, and Income rules, is almost the straw that breaks the camels back. So unless you have a Very good reason for coming to Thailand, I would suggest settling in Cambodia, Laos, or Vietnam (If your American), where you can get a 1 year visa by paying $300 to $500 with out all the Red Tape BS, and be done with it, you can then visit Thailand from there.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, WhatupThailand said:

I am the guy that met my wife in Bangkok and then found myself in Phrae, where her family home was located. This small town now has everything I need to make life both comfortable and reasonably cost effective for a 74 Year old Expat Retiree. There are the Thai Hospital, Christian Hospital, and Phrae Ram Hospital, not to mention many good Clinics available.

There is a Local Airport that connects you with Bangkok an Chaing Mai (2 1/2 hour drive), also Bus station, and Train Station in Den Chai (45 min drive). A new Immigration Office will open here last of September. Along with Big C, Tesco, and Makro stores where you can get most all Expat Food supplies. Many rentals and other offers to make your Home possible. It is a Good and Laid back life here. I have to admit having a Thai Family and Children, makes all the difference in the world.

All that said: You never know what new schemes or Red Tape Immigration will come up with next.

This latest round over the TM30 issue, and Income rules, is almost the straw that breaks the camels back. So unless you have a Very good reason for coming to Thailand, I would suggest settling in Cambodia, Laos, or Vietnam (If your American), where you can get a 1 year visa by paying $300 to $500 with out all the Red Tape BS, and be done with it, you can then visit Thailand from there.

May we ask how much money you contribute to the "family life". Only ask to compare to the op situation. He has sweet ##.

BTW...Yes Vietnam good alternative. I'm au and go Vietnam every month. 4 3month visa every yr for 6 years now. Works out to $280 per yr

Edited by DrJack54

i live on 40-45,000/month for TWO of us here in Phuket;

rent 10,500  two bedroom house with air con ( which we seldom use) 1.2km from beach in Kamala
shopping/food extras in supermarkets/markets 8,500 
dining out 5,000
electric 800
internet 700
phones 350
gas for car/motorcycle 1,500
misc....
as long as you not out drinking/whoring
it should be fine ( as long as you have back up $$ in bank ), BUT u need the 800,000 in the bank for 5 months or show 65,000/month income which according to you , you dont  have.

I'm not sure if I'd starve or die from no air con on that budget.

Good on you mate.

500k = 41k/mo.

You could do Bangkok.

Studio in the non popular areas, maybe near the new bts lines. 10k.

Then if you eat local produce, shop from the market, cook at home or street food, you'll have enough budget.

The big questions are:

Visa fees, medical fees, travel fees, alcohol?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Exactly. The OP should try retiring in his/her own country.

At 70 , you need to have reliable and trusted contacts ,, in case of medical emergencies . 

Looking for a lady too take care of you , will cost you . Add visa costs , and hurdles etc, means hassle.  @7000gods

If i was in your slippers , i would remain in my home country . 

Edited by elliss
spelling
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Henryford said:

I've travelled around most of Thailand and (apart from Bangkok) didn't notice much difference in living costs. A bottle of Chang costs the same in Pattaya and Chiang Mai. With only 42k a month you will be living a thai life anyway on rice, chicken etc which again costs the same everywhere.

And yet most expats live on 45,000 bht a month in a big article here on tv. So whats youre issue with 42,000.

from my experience he can live in phuket so that pretty much means anywhere here,live in a nice 2 bedroom villa and even support a thai family . The only issues i see is the buy in. The car,the furniture the visa seasoning. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, jayboy said:

It might put him in the higher than the average income bracket but not in a million years does it make him upper middle class.

Hmm, isn't the above the definition of the upper middle class? 42k income is way above the national average.

On 9/27/2019 at 9:10 AM, Jingthing said:

Latin America. Some countries there you can:

Easily afford to live at an upper middle class level

Easily qualify for retirement visas even leading to permanent residence

Even be able to buy into national health programs in some countries

I would strongly advise forgetting about Thailand at your financial level. You aren't even really welcome here at that level.

Yes you could do it if you can afford to lock up 800k baht or pay for an elite card but you would be building a life here on quicksand.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

i like your post.  can you mention some of those latin american countries?  especially where one can get health insurance.  thanks. 

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't feel the same way. Plus the OP has been a member since 2011 and has done a couple of posts indicating he has visited here before or is her now. Certainly not a newbie.

If what you say is true then he should not only know what it costs to live here; but, he should be well aware of  the income requirements.  Have to admit it's pretty ambitious at the age of 70 to move to a country where you don't speak the language.  

On September 27, 2019 at 7:39 AM, wgdanson said:

Bht 10,000 a month will not get you very far. Stay where you are.

Agree that 500,000 a year falls short of the financial requirements for annual retirement extensions, from where did you pull 10,000 a month?

Maybe he can put 800,000 in the bank but wants to live on about 40,000 a month, I.e. Around baht 500,000 a year.

Edited by Suradit69

22 hours ago, JWRC said:

Kanchanaburi is good value, Thailand's 3rd largest province and one of the most beautiful, but not on the ocean. Bordered by a mountain range, some of Thailand's most stunning waterfalls close enough for a day trip. Small foreign community. This is not really a place where tourists come to for an length of time, mostly just a couple of days to see the famous bridge on the River Kwai, the museum and death railway so we are not subjected to people trying to rip you off.

Good air quality, it does get quite hot, March, April and May, but most have air-conditioners. Places to rent from 1,800 per month up to say 12,000.

Not a big choice if you want western food, I cook my own so that doesn't bother me. 

Close enough to Bangkok to get there in a mini bus in around 2 1/2 hours.

2 private hospitals that have doctors that speak English.

This place is more like a big country town than a city, after 2 decades here, I haven't found anywhere else I would want to live.

I can understand your love of the place JWRC , too far to go for a visit nowadays but have good memories of trips on the railway , talking to Rod Beattie in the war memorial museum and must not forget The jolly Frog best food for miles.  If I had to relocate from up here I would consider Kanch.