Thailand's businesses await Prayuth's red-tape 'guillotine'

webfact

Thailand's businesses await Prayuth's red-tape 'guillotine'

Hundreds of outdated rules may be headed for chopping block

DOMINIC FAULDER, Nikkei Asian Review associate editor

BANGKOK -- "Red tape in this country is cut lengthwise," said David Lyman, an American lawyer and former president of the American Chamber of Commerce in Thailand. "It goes on and on." Lyman's jest has more than a kernel of truth.

In 2014, the People's Democratic Reform Committee chanted "reform before elections" as it used street protests to undermine the caretaker government of then Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, paving the way for a coup by the army chief, Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha. Prayuth's government established a National Reform Council followed by a National Reform Steering Assembly in 2016.

In April 2017, a new constitution was adopted and six months later a 20-year National Strategy put in place. The National Reform Committee was created alongside 11 subcommittees to recommend changes in key areas, and a Regulatory Guillotine Project was launched as a subcommittee of one of these.

Full story: https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Asia-Insight/Thailand-s-businesses-await-Prayuth-s-red-tape-guillotine

-- NIKKEI ASIAN REVIEW 2019-10-01

cha cha has done nothing to better Thailand.  This article is wishful thinking.  Things were better for the average Thai and everyone else before the coup.  Thailand has wonderful resources that can be better taken advantage of outside of the country, where you are safe from all the hassles.

• Like 1

Quite a task.  Orig article link suggests the "hopper" of laws, policies, pronouncements, etc., number in the 10s of 1,000s.  Somewhere in there is the Immigration Act.

My own government is a far worse quagmire.   Elected reps work hard at looking busy investigating each other.  Menial nug work is heaped onto 20 something year old staffers who, in turn, assign it to lowly interns working in the mop and broom closet, with a due date of yesterday

Pulling the US Tax Code for review and reform.

image.png.0d96fbefeeb2f201b1d7ea77eaab5a97.png

• Haha 1

I foresee troubled water for this promise. Kun Prayut should watch "Yes Minister" and "Yes Prime Minister" as reference source for such unconsidered  ideas. The yes nodding bureaucrats will make such reforms seem to be travelling through treacle if they think they are losing any authority by this. I think it will end up in several committees, especially if the MP's can see a free feed out of them. 

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

Bring back Khun Anand Panyarachan !!! The only one who really knew how to run this country !

He was never in politics and made it quite clear that when he finished his two stints as interim PM he wanted nothing to do with running the country again. He was also in office during some very trying times for Thailand, and everyone knew they had to back him up, especially the military which was under more pressure than it had ever been before. He also had no-nonsense backing from the King. He left office with well-deserved respect, which he may have seen dissipate had he gone into politics. 

Edited by Dexlowe
cleaning up

But...but...but...who would spend 100 billion on the Military? Thai people are happy now, having foregone the huge benefits that such money to the citizenry could have went. Medical, education, environment? Heck no. Yay for tanks, subs, guns, troop carriers, boats, and rusting idle aircraft carriers.

cha cha has done nothing to better Thailand.  This article is wishful thinking.  Things were better for the average Thai and everyone else before the coup.  Thailand has wonderful resources that can be better taken advantage of outside of the country, where you are safe from all the hassles.
  • Like 1

Wishful thinking, my grumpy friend. Wishful.

Well that's good news.  Hopefully TM30 will be one of the first to go. All I'm good time I guess. I am 67.....would be nice to see some change before I get to 77!  [emoji53]
  • Haha 1