Cabinet okays plan to inspect e-bank transfers of above Bt50,000

snoop1130

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

'Individuals who send more than Bt50,000 overseas and the recipient will have to provide their identification and information to banks before the transfer is completed.'

I can see this going pear shaped.. I send more every month, with a little Thai ingenuity they'll soon have the bank version of TM30, please submit 58 pages of A4 for every transfer.

Do not we need to provide passport now to send or receive money?

i regularly send money to and from Thailand via internet banking . Bank has my information . Not much of a change there. You even need passport just to change money , so really unsure what they planning or thinking 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BestB said:

Do not we need to provide passport now to send or receive money?

i regularly send money to and from Thailand via internet banking . Bank has my information . Not much of a change there. You even need passport just to change money , so really unsure what they planning or thinking 

When you get that control in Europe it is only that the money keep a little longer to arrive,  if all is clear,when asked to them why ….the answer is "it was under compliance " , if not going thru you get the more questions ...

Edited by david555

11 hours ago, overherebc said:

So, a three week holiday in UK with total costs above 50,000 for any transaction like car hire hotel bills blah blah is going to raise eyebrows?

If you and she decide on a business class flight,

55-70,000 baht each what will happen?. Would you have to wait for gov' clearance on the transaction or what?

Good luck waiting on Govt clearance, I've been waiting over 8 weeks now for my TM-30 registration and have heard nothing.

• Like 2

50,000 baht??  Ridiculously low amount.  Only $1,623.00. That’s a high end oven or a big screen TV

USA checks all transactions above $10,000 which is 306,171.00 baht.

if the government said 300k no one would have started laughing at them.

• Like 2

Currently my bank (Krungsri) permits online transfers of up to USD10k (converted from Baht at prevailing rate) per day. There is already a requirement to provide name and address details of both sender and receiver (in my case, usually one and the same name, different addresses). We'll see how/whether this proposed change works out. Hope that it is simply photo ID at both ends (my bank here has a copy of my passport on file and it is easy to provide similar photo ID for the other end which could also be put on file. Hopefully, the banks will organise the admin of the new rules and it will be relatively painless. Fingers crossed.

11 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Thailand is getting a bit Cheap-Charlie-Somchai.....50k is peanuts today abroad...make it 500k at least please....better open that account in either Singapore or Geneva fast...no hassles or questions asked for (reasonable) amounts transfered upto CHF 50'000,-

Edited by lapamita
want cancell post

Well, congratulations to the wise brains running Big C then.

I paid my (Citibank) credit card bill and the maximum amount I can pay in one transaction was  THB 49'000. Having had a (medical) bill exceeding this by quite a bit I deposited five payments of THB 49'000 and a sixth payment of THB 6'000. 
To do so, I had to withdraw the money first from Bangkok Bank's ATM in TEN transactions as  these machines spit a maximum of 25 bank notes and, if you are lucky, the machine has enough THB 1'000 bank notes; alternatively you end up with 25 x THB 500 (which extends the fun). 
The alternative is to pay THB 251'000 (at the very Bangkok Bank) against a "transfer fee" of THB 300. Your call ......... 

In the past you had to complete a form for the "Bank of Thailand" requesting the transfer of anything exceeding USD 5'000. Among others you could tick (on said form) for "strategic goods" - so keep in mind that this particular box is reserved for the army only ???? 

12 hours ago, overherebc said:

So, a three week holiday in UK with total costs above 50,000 for any transaction like car hire hotel bills blah blah is going to raise eyebrows?

If you and she decide on a business class flight,

55-70,000 baht each what will happen?. Would you have to wait for gov' clearance on the transaction or what?

How quaint, you do not use Cards for Car Rental, Hotels, Flights etc, just large piles of cash ?

• Confused 1

50.000 that's some low budget terrorists I tell ya??? it would make more sense at 500.000. This will stop many small businesses allowing transfers as they dont want the government to check everything they do. 

It's not uncommon that hotel or condo payments are over 50.000 most thai farmers spend more than that on their fertilizers every year and more and more transfer it which is way safer than cash payments but with this I guarantee more businesses will do cash only. 50.000 is commonplace transaction for many small businesses now a days...this is just stupid.

We just bought new brake pads, tyres and wheels for one of our 10 wheelers the total price of that was over 50K. I didnt know our parts dealer was a terrorist

And the Rebuild of engine for the same truck set us back around 55K.

12 hours ago, DrTuner said:

'Individuals who send more than Bt50,000 overseas and the recipient will have to provide their identification and information to banks before the transfer is completed.'

I can see this going pear shaped.. I send more every month, with a little Thai ingenuity they'll soon have the bank version of TM30, please submit 58 pages of A4 for every transfer.

And guess what!!! It is under the figure that us retirees have to bring in a month!!!!.

And if a terrorist was operating 50,000 is pocket money. F..kw..ts????????????????

• Like 1

This is a matter of Thailand falling in line with the International Banking Cartels (banksters) to know and control as needed what everyone is doing.  The recent changes to ACH international transfers was consistent with this as the transfer now includes personal information of both parties involved with the transfer. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JoePai said:

How quaint, you do not use Cards for Car Rental, Hotels, Flights etc, just large piles of cash ?

If Somchai and team do 120,000 bahts worth of work extending the house then I might consider a transfer to his Isle of Man bank.

Of course I use cards, but as I posted a few minutes ago interpretation of e transfers just might depend on your banks interpretation of e transfer.  140,000 baht for two BC flights is quite normal at the moment. How will the bank see that if it's going to a non Thai airline.