Strict measures on using three toxic pesticides take effect on Oct 20

webfact

17 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I know very well the difference. 

Pesticides are substances that are meant to control pests, including weeds.[1] The term pesticide includes all of the following: herbicide, insecticides (which may include insect growth regulators, termiticides, etc.) nematicide, molluscicide, piscicide, avicide, rodenticide, bactericide, insect repellent, animal repellent, antimicrobial, and fungicide.[2] The most common of these are herbicides which account for approximately 80% of all pesticide use.[3] Most pesticides are intended to serve as plant protection products (also known as crop protection products), which in general, protect plants from weeds, fungi, or insects.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesticide

BTW I do no till without glyphosate. 

In theory it sounds good,in practice it's not so good.

You can't compare the climate of America to Thailand.

With a mix of annual and perrenial weeds here setting seed at different times it's very difficult to control in a no-till system without roundup to terminate the cover crop.

i'm not convinced the so called alternative products availiable are suitable at this stage.

Okay lets start with paraquat,the organic alternative people refer to would be a vinegar concentrate.

I have not seen this in the horicultural 20% solution in my area of Thailand,the other problem is most sprayers are built to add water to dilute the mixing agent.You simply could not drive fast enough to apply the concentrated formula and get the coverage required,price would also be astronomical.

I see no alternative for roundup in the no-till system.

Believe me,i have been throwing baht at this system for years now,it's great for your soil and bring back nature but if you can't control the weeds you don't get a yield which equals losing money.

To add a lot of crops grown are Not for human consumption.  

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, toolpush said:

They should get their nomenclature right. Paraquat and Glyphosate (Round-Up) are Herbicides, not Pesticides. They kill plants, not bugs (pests). The third; Chlorpyrifos is a Pesticide.

Round-Up has revolutionized agricultural practices world wide, allowing zero till, high yield canola and other crops. The benefits to the soil from zero till are incalculable. Without the use of Round-Up, world wide yields will drop hugely and food prices will rise correspondingly.

Sorry but, l use a mix that works just as well. It is cheaper and safer. 

Screenshot_20191008-192503.jpg

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Strict measures on using the three pesticides will take effect on October 20.

:cheesy::cheesy:....Who is going to monitor Somchai in the backwoods of Nakhon Nowhere.....

When the new law comes into effect, farmers must provide certification to sellers or shops that they have been trained on how to properly use the pesticides,

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:.......except the shop selling the chemicals is Somchai's cousin......and who is going to train the trainer.

The person spraying the pesticides must also have a licence,

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:.......Well, that system hasn't worked for decades in regards to driving on the roads, so how is it going to make a difference  in the fields..........

At least it gave me a good laugh this morning, but seriously, forget the pressure from big companies and fat directors, just ban them outright.

20 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

In theory it sounds good,in practice it's not so good.

You can't compare the climate of America to Thailand.

With a mix of annual and perrenial weeds here setting seed at different times it's very difficult to control in a no-till system without roundup to terminate the cover crop.

i'm not convinced the so called alternative products availiable are suitable at this stage.

Okay lets start with paraquat,the organic alternative people refer to would be a vinegar concentrate.

I have not seen this in the horicultural 20% solution in my area of Thailand,the other problem is most sprayers are built to add water to dilute the mixing agent.You simply could not drive fast enough to apply the concentrated formula and get the coverage required,price would also be astronomical.

I see no alternative for roundup in the no-till system.

Believe me,i have been throwing baht at this system for years now,it's great for your soil and bring back nature but if you can't control the weeds you don't get a yield which equals losing money.

To add a lot of crops grown are Not for human consumption.  

Each situation is different and require different solutions. I don't have a large surface so I use lawn mower + plastic tarp to kill the weed and seeds. I'm lucky because I don't need the crop for subsistance and if I had the space I would research chemicals free solution. I understand this can be a challenge to scale but it's possible. 

My neighbour use cow instead of paraquat for his rubber plantation. It adds organic matter to his soil and a cash crop when he sell the meat. 

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Strict measures on using the three pesticides will take effect on October 20.

Another big U-turn... who can monitor thousands of farmers on what they buy, how much or when they use it !

Ridiculous !

20 hours ago, webfact said:

If there is a ban, it’s the farmers who will be at a disadvantage

There are  dozens of countries around the world that already have a ban.  I guess they're coping okay.  What is it with Thailand?

22 hours ago, webfact said:

“If there is a ban, it’s the farmers who will be at a disadvantage, while the entrepreneurs can always sell other substances instead,” Weerawut said.

What a dumb assed statement!

1.) If they are selling alternative substitutes then the farmers can still buy!

2.) New Zealand & Australia enjoy tremendous sales of food in China because of their CLEAN product. And enjoy a commensurately higher $ return for doing so. AKA valued added marketing!

The current suppliers of pesticides in Thailand ONLY have a concern for the money they may lose! Greedy self-entitled grubs!

On 10/14/2019 at 4:52 PM, DLock said:

...well, I guess that didn't go as planned.

Now let's see if your are a man of your word...

.... if you don't mean it - don't <deleted> say it ... ????

I dont want to use these herbicides but the problem is that the alternatives are either not available or extremely expensive. Lets take glyfosinate ammonium which is supposed to be the new alternative to paraquat. It cost B 350 per liter. You apply 1 liter per rai vs paraquat that is applied at 500 ml per rai. At a price of B 600 per 5 liter, 1 rai cost you B 60. Thus B 60 vd B 350. Will the consumer carry this cost or must the farmers narrow their small high risk margins further. As for Roundup the natural alternative would be Basta but the problem is it is not available in our province nor adjacent provinces. Many alternative chemicals are not registered here and we are going to see a disaster if they fully implement this regulations. They are going about it the wrong way. They should first identify safer alternatives, register those products, train farmers in their use, make the alternatives available in the market at reasonable prices and then implement a 100% ban on the 2 herbicides. As for the pesticide there are many alternatives available and it can be banned asap.

11 hours ago, Tayaout said:

They did this in Quebec Canada. All chemicals pesticides are banned for consumer use. Exception is golf course and farmers. I got the certification needed with my horticulture degree. I will never use these chemicals and refused a job because of this. During an internship I learned that they were looking for someone to replace the last guy that sprayed pesticide because he was dying of cancer. 

There is plenty of alternative that are safer. Chemicals pesticides are dangerous even with protection and are counter-productive in the long run. I've seen how they use it in Thailand and they don't use any protection and they think that more is better. When they are done they throw the empty containers around the fields. 

Ask for the money back you paid for your degree. Glysophate and paraquat are not pesticides.

10 hours ago, Tayaout said:

I know very well the difference. 

Pesticides are substances that are meant to control pests, including weeds.[1] The term pesticide includes all of the following: herbicide, insecticides (which may include insect growth regulators, termiticides, etc.) nematicide, molluscicide, piscicide, avicide, rodenticide, bactericide, insect repellent, animal repellent, antimicrobial, and fungicide.[2] The most common of these are herbicides which account for approximately 80% of all pesticide use.[3] Most pesticides are intended to serve as plant protection products (also known as crop protection products), which in general, protect plants from weeds, fungi, or insects.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesticide

BTW I do no till without glyphosate. 

Which just goes to show that people who rely on opinion,i.e. Wikipedia, cannot think for themselves. I prefer to rely on facts.

12 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Which just goes to show that people who rely on opinion,i.e. Wikipedia, cannot think for themselves. I prefer to rely on facts.

You are free to edit Wikipedia and citation needed. 

On 10/14/2019 at 4:36 PM, YetAnother said:

Be lucky if one in one thousand farmers changes anything

Well they had no problem changing from buffalo to tractors & harvesters..........so here's hoping they do for the health of their fellow countrymen.

1 hour ago, Derek B said:

Well they had no problem changing from buffalo to tractors & harvesters..........so here's hoping they do for the health of their fellow countrymen.

Using tractors and harvesters made it easier and usually increases production same as using these chemicals

On 10/14/2019 at 2:32 PM, webfact said:

The person spraying the pesticides must also have a licence,

There's the rub.  Another avenue for under the table envelopes.  The initiative should be about protecting the customer who consumes these products not the unfortunate Somchai who uses them.

34 minutes ago, mikebell said:

There's the rub.  Another avenue for under the table envelopes.  The initiative should be about protecting the customer who consumes these products not the unfortunate Somchai who uses them.

It's not a perfect solution but should help bring awareness on how to properly use the chemicals. Will old Somchai change his way after doing the formation? Unlikely. 

Archived