SURVEY: Will the carnage continue?

Scott

SURVEY: Will the Carnage continue?  

267 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In my opinion there are three ways to drastically cut down the road deaths here and improve the standards:

1)   Strong deterrents.

2)   Strict enforcement.

3)   Willingness to accept advice from countries who have proven road safety record.

However, these are meaningless whilst corruption is rampant.

No amount of media releases by political morons playing at clowns will do anything to lower the roll toll.

You need only take a look at these three dunces to realise the futility of the government in trying to reduce the road toll.

Helmets.jpg

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, jesimps said:

In my opinion there are three ways to drastically cut down the road deaths here and improve the standards:

1)   Strong deterrents.

2)   Strict enforcement.

3)   Willingness to accept advice from countries who have proven road safety record.

However, these are meaningless whilst corruption is rampant.

I don't think it has anything to do with corruption, it is to do with the "don't give a sh_t attitude", and the attitude goes for most stuff here..

• Thanks 1

It will not improve until the national arrogance is fixed. 

From a place of humility, the country will then need to start reforming the entire system. 

Driving 

Autos

Roads 

Signage

Lighting

Laws

Policing 

Consistent enforcement and penalties 

It's all a total disaster and will take 30+ years to fix - whenever they actually start 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Is this real said:

Thailand could hire people, full time, to learn what laws there are for drivers.  Then they could enforce them.  People would eventually learn a safer way to drive.

No, they won't. When they're walking on the sidewalk, they're very carefull not to bump in to other pedestrians.

But, when they get in/on their vehicles, their minds change drastically.  Mental disorder.

1 minute ago, Chazar said:

nah they just squeal  like pigs  that theyre  poor. waste of  time.

Really..................Sort of... "Oink, oink"...........Hmmm, never heard that, is that how your extended family sound over cash lay out....? ????

The lack of political will; the lack of a trained, mobile, traffic enforcement branch; the lack of a public traffic education program; rampant corruption and distrust of proven, foreign based accident reduction programs all spell that the carnage will contnue.

58 minutes ago, transam said:

I don't think it has anything to do with corruption, it is to do with the "don't give a sh_t attitude", and the attitude goes for most stuff here..

Corruption, in its many forms, corrupts universally. To give a "sh_t", that behavior is often tied  to consequence of actions. When you can pay someone (authorities) to get out of consequence, then the attitude is to do what one likes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

No, they won't. When they're walking on the sidewalk, they're very carefull not to bump in to other pedestrians.

But, when they get in/on their vehicles, their minds change drastically.  Mental disorder.

I agree with your 2 sentences. 

However, in some ways, they drive just like they walk - discombobulated, dawdling, suddenly and inexplicably changing direction, walking too close to each other, ect. 

One of my friends says they walk like ants, constantly almost bumping into each other and being forced to change direction. Extremely inefficient, like so many other habits. 

The only saving grace is that they do not walk aggressively - probably because it's simply too hot. 

Edited by Fex Bluse
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain 776 said:

I rode all over the world for 49 yrs and 14 of those were here in Thailand without a scratch until Oct 2018.

Hung up my helmet = Done~!!!

Dont become a statistic.

That's interesting.  Would you mind describing the incident that happened in Oct 2018 that caused you to hang it up?  Just curious, because my riding history closely parallels yours except for the last part.  And my 45 years of riding has included some broken bones, bumps and bruises, all my own fault for not properly reading the road conditions.

Nearly 1.25 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day. An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled. More than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Nearly 1.25 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day. An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled. More than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44.

Yes but who has the.....

Most per day

Edited by meechai
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Chazar said:

i  don't  care  let  them  die.

I highly suspect this is the thought process of the 1-10% that control the country.  It is that upper slice of society that can/could change the driving habits of the masses. If most all those deaths are from the population that doesn't particularly count, then why fix something that isn't really broken. Could be that it is only a problem if affects the Hiso?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, meechai said:

They trade 1st place with Thailand often

(use to be Libya too)

Suffice it to say neither is a safe place to be on the roads

No. China is second.

USA, Russia, Brazil, all more than Thailand. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Which choice did you vote for? 

how in the hell can it get better when the police do not enforce the road rules as well as not being out on the roads pulling over drivers breaking the rules. Its absolutely pathetic the way many thais drive/ride, many dont have a licence, are under age and most have no idea what the road rules are. The arrogance of some drivers just makes it harder, overtaking on blind corners/double lines or with oncoming cars and they flash their lights expecting the cars to drive off the road for them, parking on the road because they dont want to walk too far to the shop, not giving way, driving through stop signs and red lights and the police just watch it happen. Driving/riding in Thailand is very dangerous, dont think I have ever had a drive where I havent had some idiot do something stupid/illegal and almost cause a crash if not for my reflexes. It will only get better when they enforce the laws and start seizing cars/bikes from the offenders as well as making them pay big fines

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Yinn said:

No. China is second.

USA, Russia, Brazil, all more than Thailand. 

How many people in

USA ?   329,8 million  people

Russia ? 146.3 million people

Brazil ?  214,6 million people

and Thailand ? 69,6 million people 

You compare apples to pears;

on the other hand, if you take a country which has about the same number of inhabitants as Thailand,  France ( 66,99 million people ) will obtain a result somewhat different

Thailand ,about 26,000 dead on the road .( here they don't count the people who die in the ambulance and in the hospital during 30 days after the accident )

France  4 100 dead on the road and in the ambulance and in the hospital during the 30 days after the accident

In addition, road traffic is much more important in France than in Thailand;
without even the same measure

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Good morning all,
I replied: Yes, it will continue to get worse .....

Until the government understands that this is a very serious social problem.
75% to 80% of fatal accidents involve motorcycles on which the workers of today and tomorrow drive.
Senior managers and executives generally ride in sedan which are involved in only a small percentage of fatal accidents.
As long as Thailand does not create a real road police and as long as school boys and girls will continue to learn songs and make knots and not much else at school, this country will continue to sink slowly but surely like its capital besides which sinks inexorably in the sea.

You forget to mention 2 thinks they learn: about Budha, and about the Royal family.