All airports to stay amid woes of over-capacity

snoop1130

"The press reports regarding the planned closure of Hat Yai International Airport in Songkhla province and Mae Fah Luang - Chiang Rai International Airport were just misinterpretation, said AOT President Nitinai Sirismatthakarn adding that the real message was that the high-speed train project might lead to fewer clients for both airports. The AOT will draw up a flexible plan to deal with the development, he said."

Did he not get the memo? PM has cancelled the high speed rail link south, upgrade to double track only, and I'm not holding my breath that'll happen anytime soon.

As for Chiang Rai, is there actually any plan for a rail link even? Certainly it's not included in the current high speed rail plans!

Edited by Stocky

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

(AOT) didn’t have a policy to close or downgrade any airport in Thailand, including those in Hat Yai and Chiang Rai, and there is no change to the planned expansion of six airports. 

They'll need them all for the millions of big spending Indian tourists.

• Haha 1

If you think the majority of Thai's aren't interested in politics....you maybe right,  but around here they seem to be very aware of the.....lets say, inconsistencies of the current situation re: the constitution, elections and politician's.  Happiness isn't a word used in tandem with their state of mind when the subject of certain people is raised.   I not saying that trouble is brewing, but discontent is now amongst the people.   

• Like 2

And amid all this chaos of millions of tourists and travellers forced to queue for 2 hours on arrival, there is not one politician or expert who can come up with a solution ? Stop publishing rubbish, and act ! Everyone is sick of the authorities outbursts, and Thailand’s sinking reputation is getting worse by the day. Shame. 

• Like 2

The writing is on the wall ........ the next expenditure is some airport extensions or new airports.

Those in the country for a while already might remember Chatchai Choonavan who had the splendid idea of building a brand new airport in Nakorn Ratchasima/Korat. The old airport (basically a former American airbase from the Vietnam war) close to the zoo was more than convenient enough for the one or two daily flights from Bangkok (250kms); from the airport to town it was a matter of 10 - 15 minutes (6 - 7 kms distance). 

The "new" airport is 30kms out of town, the taxi mafia had a field day whenever a plane landed in Korat. Getting to Bangkok airport with time buffer prior to departure and getting from Korat airport to town took longer than driving the entire stretch by car from Bangkok. 

Result is, that there is not one airline (DD, TG, WE, FD, SL or PG) operating to Korat. 

Total disaster planning which makes only the selected few very, very rich - again. Look at U-Tapao airport; if the capillary logistics would work properly, more carriers would operate to the Eastern seaboard. They had their chance with Qatar - and Qatar Airways made up their mind and discontinued their service - go figure ..... 

• Like 1

Saksiam Chidchob stirs up a lot of <deleted> - the Hopewell saga is going into its next decade of ridiculous hick hack, HDY and CEI are to be closed, then they are not getting closed. Then HDY is merged with Phuket (only nine hours by car between those two airports) ....... 

Too many clowns and not enough circuses ...... 

Not only has the Transport Ministry denied the comments by AOT President Sirismatthakarn on the airport closures/mergers. A report yesterday, in the paper that may not be named, says the Transport Minister has told AOT to halve airport landing fees for 3 months during peak season, to attract more seasonal flights from Eastern Europe and China.

That'll teach him, eat humble face pie Mr AOT President!

On 10/28/2019 at 8:30 PM, Eligius said:

This absolute incompetence by this bunch of ultimate incompetents is so annoying: I was on the phone to a friend of mine a few hours ago, a friend who lives in Hatyai, and I was telling him about the planned closure of the airport. He was horrified.

Now - as so often - it all turns out to be a 'misunderstanding'.

God give me strength! This lot cannot do ANYTHING right - not even what is wrong (except for wrecking the whole country and snatching away democracy forever of course)!

Don't know where you are coming from, by I dare to say democracy there, like nearly everywhere, has been degraded to a 4-5 year circus with no discernable influence on what the government does, whatsoever.

So, what is the difference then?

Easy to comment on another country, very stupid to compare Asian countries with western countries, there are fundamental differences which makes comparing rather risky.

Democracy is highly overrated.