Ministry aims for zero waste, introduces ban on single-use plastics

webfact

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Looking for non plastic drinking straws for the bar in Makro the other day. After hunting for 10 minutes I asked......Answer.....No Hab. There was however, pallets stacked 2 metres high with every conceivable shape, size, colour, of plastic straws in bags of 500 at a time. :sad:

They use some kind of hollow spaghetti for that..

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, z42 said:

While i admire the vision i don't have much faith in the ability of any Thai agency to adequately educate or change the behaviours of the average Somchai, and turn them into environmentalists.

Hope to see real endeavour on this though.

You admire "the vision"? What vision? Read the article carefully...in typical intentional Thai obfuscation, the headline is false. The devil is in the details: "...namely foam boxes, plastic bags, straws, and glasses will be totally banned from the ministry and its agencies by 2022."

They are planning to ban these plastics on ministry property...nothing more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"According to the waste –to-wealth concept of the circular economy, agriculture products and waste from the agriculture industry can be processed as biomaterial, or other highly valuable substances for use in the power generating industry. “Waste is a resource for sustainable energy in local communities,” he added."

Any of these 100 watts ever hear of composting vs fire?

16 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Some of us grew up with paper straws (old I know) but they did do the job (kind of) - but just like paper bags plastic worked a hell of a lot better.  

Paper straws are plastised so not a good alternative.

9 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

"According to the waste –to-wealth concept of the circular economy, agriculture products and waste from the agriculture industry can be processed as biomaterial, or other highly valuable substances for use in the power generating industry. “Waste is a resource for sustainable energy in local communities,” he added."

Any of these 100 watts ever hear of composting vs fire?

Yes... We already installed composting plants at the waste transfer stations many years ago. The problem is that 99.99% of the public, perhaps you too, refuse to segregate waste into garbage (green bins = wet waste) and rubbish (dry waste for waste to energy and recyclables) The result is that the "Lesscost" compost produced at the transfer stations contain too much broken glass so the BMA use it for their parks and gardens. Composting of biomaterials produces gas which is burnt in the power plant to raise steam to provide power, the remainder can be used as treated compost for soil conditioning and improvement.

18 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Looking for non plastic drinking straws for the bar in Makro the other day. After hunting for 10 minutes I asked......Answer.....No Hab. There was however, pallets stacked 2 metres high with every conceivable shape, size, colour, of plastic straws in bags of 500 at a time. :sad:

I saw this the other day, yes it's in Vietnam, but maybe available here sometime.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Some of us grew up with paper straws (old I know) but they did do the job (kind of) - but just like paper bags plastic worked a hell of a lot better.  

actually in Europe we grow up drinking without straws, I was surprised to see in Thailand why they all use,  I don't see why they are needed. (except maybe coconut)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation, well there's an oxymoron for you!

Quite an interrogated portfolio for one department where historically there has been a significant number of shortfalls of actual announcements verses deliverables in all of these disciplines in this department.

I anticipate from the attitude of the Thai people and the extreme reliance on plastic bags that it may be a bridge to far for any real significant reform.

If the billionaires and elites would like to fund this initiative and help those Thais at the poverty end of the spectrum reliant on plastic bags (majority of the population) maybe ….. maybe it might get a leg up.   

Here’s the BCG report link if you’re interested in some bedtime reading to put you to sleep.

BCG Report

• Like 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

all agencies under his ministry to stop using the single use plastic products,

So who do I notify when I see one of his minions leaving the local market with 12 or 15 plastic bags and 4 Styrofoam containers with the families evening meal. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1