Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

3 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Heavy overnight rain in Udon. All ponds overflowing and wife's shop flooded, which is a first. Fortunately water levels in the village have fallen today as rice fields were not full before the rain.

The rain definitely arrived late according to the in-laws (my first rainy season here), but it seems to have caught up, which is great as I hate watering the garden and I would have needed to do that often as we've had the Taipei grass planted and it will take about 3 to 4 months to fully cover the lawn area. Actually, I'm lying. My wife would have done the watering. 

20230905_174115.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

Heavy overnight rain in Udon. All ponds overflowing and wife's shop flooded, which is a first. Fortunately water levels in the village have fallen today as rice fields were not full before the rain.

At 15-40, driving to Ban Dung today, we were met with n almighty downpour. As heavy as I've experienced it here. Slowed the pick-up to no more than 20kph for a kilometre or so. Visibility down to less than 50metres. Then as quickly as it started; it ended. North Ban Dung was dry. The South of the town had some.

Picked Mildred up from school, and did the shopping. Got back to the village at 6-30. Water everywhere. Hope the farm go it.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 7:02 PM, HighPriority said:

Australian Sceptics Society tried to organise a “competition” years ago offering a cash prize for the diviners who could detect water in buried pipes…

It was a manifold of parallel pvc pipes controlled by solenoids with obviously double blind testing, no takers… 

My bore whisperer was telling me that you can even use your “old fella”… he is an old bloke, it might be the only exercise it gets… ????

I don't think these tests show anything much.

If you walk barefoot on the ground, preferably not concrete or unnatural terrain, there is an energy that can be felt by some attuned people. The subtle change in that energy, when water is not too far away, can be felt by some people.

Virtually everything natural has a energy. I think out ancestors were more aware of it. Waves of energy are all around us, at all times. Consider the moon, and the effect it has on our oceans. Our blood is 90% water. Does it influence us; especially adult women?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I don't think these tests show anything much.

If you walk barefoot on the ground, preferably not concrete or unnatural terrain, there is an energy that can be felt by some attuned people. The subtle change in that energy, when water is not too far away, can be felt by some people.

Virtually everything natural has an energy. I think out ancestors were more aware of it. Waves of energy are all around us, at all times. Consider the moon, and the effect it has on our oceans. Our blood is 90% water. Does it influence us; especially adult women?

If it can’t be predicted, measured and replicated it’s Hokus pokus in my book Owl and adult women prove my point…

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

If it can’t be predicted, measured and replicated it’s Hokus pokus in my book Owl and adult women prove my point…

Bang on the dosh there HP.

As far as the women go,,,,. Bring back the huts I say.

• Haha 1

Just checked the Thaiwater.net website and seen that Kalasin seems to be one of the provinces doing well for rain. Many of the medium sized dams/water supply lakes/or whatever the eff they are called are above 100% and the large Lam Pao Dam is at 77% capacity. Mukdahan, Sakon Nakhon and Ubol also seem to be doing quite well.

Syled it down this morning, resulting in a canal in front of the abode. Couldn't see the mountains in the background when I took the photo, so it must have still been raining quite a bit on the border with Sakon Nakhon.image.thumb.jpeg.a8f326ba4e3f3d1d17d7d3ab9d90d310.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

Just checked the Thaiwater.net website and seen that Kalasin seems to be one of the provinces doing well for rain. Many of the medium sized dams/water supply lakes/or whatever the eff they are called are above 100% and the large Lam Pao Dam is at 77% capacity. Mukdahan, Sakon Nakhon and Ubol also seem to be doing quite well.

Syled it down this morning, resulting in a canal in front of the abode. Couldn't see the mountains in the background when I took the photo, so it must have still been raining quite a bit on the border with Sakon Nakhon.

image.thumb.jpeg.a8f326ba4e3f3d1d17d7d3ab9d90d310.jpeg

It's well known by the locals, that the area south of the Sakom Nakhon road get considerably more rain that the areas to the north.

I was told that it was because of the peelaws, and the massacre of Lao women and children, at Kham Chanod, But I reckon it has more to do with the land being so flat. There is a hill to the north-west of Ban Dung, but it's only about 20 metres above ground level. That's it for hundreds of Kms.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Great snaps Owl. It's amazing what good quality photos can be taken, even on cheaper phones. And you don't even need the visit the chemist's to get them developed.

Once I decided to get one, I looked on Lazada. They ranged from 1,300 baht to 45,000 baht. Didn't want to get a real cheap one, so mine cost 1,440 baht. Plus delivery. Plus tip. So just under 1,500.

I have definitely got the contrast setting too high. Some more practice will sort it out.

That's Robert. Soon be a year old. Goes everywhere with me now outside. Don't hurt cats. Don't hurt chicken; which is always a worry here. If I;m on my own he rides in the pick-up with me.

942507617_doginpup.png.61af79088fdbbbc4432628dbf2f0db0b.png

Oscar is Robert's half brother. A different character altogether.

• Love It 1

20 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

That's Robert. Soon be a year old. Goes everywhere with me now outside. Don't hurt cats. Don't hurt chicken; which is always a worry here. If I;m on my own he rides in the pick-up with me.

942507617_doginpup.png.61af79088fdbbbc4432628dbf2f0db0b.png

Oscar is Robert's half brother. A different character altogether.

Both Robert and Oscar are fine looking dogs, mind you they came from excellent stock, Michael and Mem are very proud of their Ridgebacks!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sotonowl said:

They'd be accused of cultural appropriation if they tried that in the UK these days. The cookery programme called Bake off has had accusations thrown at them due to a Mexican themed episode where they were wearing sombreros and rattling their maracas.???????????? 

Some parts of the world are going mad so pleased it hasn't reached Thailand yet.

You are not wrong there Owl. So much for progress. So much for civilisation.

From what I've heard the education for youngsters in the UK is going wonky.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, roo860 said:

Both Robert and Oscar are fine looking dogs, mind you they came from excellent stock, Michael and Mem are very proud of their Ridgebacks!

Indeed they are.

Bumped into them both in Big C the other day. And had a good chin wag.

Always watch Michael's vids on YT. Fun!

Edited by owl sees all
  • Thanks 1

On 8/28/2023 at 2:31 PM, GarryP said:

Passed through the tiny peninsula of Udon Thani yesterday on my bicycle ride. Three provinces in one day, Kalasin, Udon and Sakhon Nakhon. Sore as hell now but enjoyed myself. Noticed a big weather difference between the Kham Muang (North Kalasin) and Sakon Nakhon side of the Phu Phan range. Beautiful area and even though those hills were killers on the way up, they were fantastic on the way down. 

58784.jpg

I'm not saying that I'm too competitive - however...

I couldn't let GarryP's post go unanswered. ☺️ ????

One of the great things about Issan is the general lack of hills - just over 1m of climbing for every horizontal kilometre.

image.png.16eb5d374f3b180e184fbf1c72ccd2cc.png

Edited by marty147
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, marty147 said:

I'm not saying that I'm too competitive - however...

I couldn't let GarryP's post go unanswered. ☺️ ????

One of the great things about Issan is the general lack of hills - just over 1m of climbing for every horizontal kilometre.

image.png.16eb5d374f3b180e184fbf1c72ccd2cc.png

If you started and finished at the same point you must have had 241m of descent too. Freewheeling with your feet off the pedals.????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/11/2023 at 7:27 AM, owl sees all said:

Indeed they are.

Bumped into them both in Big C the other day. And had a good chin wag.

Always watch Michael's vids on YT. Fun!

A drop me a email with them LINE details mines Michael George Parker 0622757022 popping over in a day or two want to the 2 boys how their doing !

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pickettywitch said:

A drop me a email with them LINE details mines Michael George Parker 0622757022 popping over in a day or two want to the 2 boys how their doing !

Will get to that PW. I'll get the daughter to show me how to do it.

Boys are doing OK. If I go anywhere outside, Robert wants to come. On Thursday at 16-40 Robert was nowhere to be seen. Five minutes later, I made my way round to the bus stop to greet Mildred. He was there already waiting for her. A loving and caring dog.

307905889_rob000.png.dd4a7050b05b0c1b9ea37f7433df1352.png

When we going out Owl?

946893733_rob00.png.f92ffc3fbcbcc7547081e71edfb12ca3.png

Mildred uses my new phone mostly, She is playing games, or doing some internet art, on her own and chatting away at the same time on mine.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

A couple of easy peasy questions for the footy guys out there that post.

Since WW11, what top flight team in the first league then 1946/47  til now, is at the lowest position down the leagues?

Second one. What top flight champion is lowest as of now 19 Sept' 2023?

17 hours ago, owl sees all said:

A couple of easy peasy questions for the footy guys out there that post.

Since WW11, what top flight team in the first league then 1946/47  til now, is at the lowest position down the leagues?

Second one. What top flight champion is lowest as of now 19 Sept' 2023?

Oldham.

Derby.

59 minutes ago, champers said:

Oldham.

Derby.

Bang on the money there Champs.

Another teaser.

The first Top Flight league after WW2 (1946/47) saw 22 teams contest for the title. Nine of those teams are currently in the EPL. Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Sheffield United, Liverpool, Man Utd, Villa, Wolves. and one other. Who?

a/ Man City
b/ Luton
c/ Newcastle
d/ Brentford

e/ West Ham United

Answers on a postcard to,,,,,,.