Warawut wants PM2.5 problem to be fully resolved by 2022

snoop1130

By THE NATION

800_b2bcc118127df8f.jpg

Warawut Silpa-archa

The Minister of Natural Resources and Environment Warawut Silpa-archa on Monday (November 18) briefed the Senate about the obstacles to solving the problem of particulate matter less than 2.5 micrometre, or PM 2.5.

Senator Yongyuth Sarasombat said the problem has persisted for long but awareness has increased of late because of air-quality measurements.

“Despite the limited budget to solve the problem, we have received collaboration from numerous agencies, including the Interior Ministry, to deal with the PM2.5 issue, especially in the nine northern provinces,” the minister said. “Also, the PM2.5 problem is caused by burning activities in neighbouring countries”.

Warawut added that in order to achieve a practical resolution of the problem, it was important to educate the local people about the situation while the law should be enforced seriously. 

“Relevant agencies, particularly, the ministries of Interior, Transport and Resources and Environment, as well as provincial governors and marshals must coordinate their actions to completely resolve the PM2.5 problem before 2022,” he said.

Senator Yongyuth suggested that provinces suffering from pollution should report their problem every 15 days, while a subcommittee should be appointed to support the operation. Moreover, environmental ambassadors should be promoted to improve international communication.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378476

Just today we drove up to the overlook at Doi Suthep looking over Chiang Mai around sunset. We counted NINE decent size fires in the city with lots of smoke pouring into the sky and leaving a layer of haze. Obvious to find due to their huge smoke plooms, but no one cares. Ever. 

ZERO police enforcement.

These donkey says they don’t have the budget but all they really have to do is enforce the existing laws.

75% of the problems in this hopeless country stem from the lack of a real police force. 

We won’t be here in 2020 to laugh at this fools comments. Gone by mid 2020 as most of our assets are sold now. 

6 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“Also, the PM2.5 problem is caused by burning activities in neighbouring countries”.

If the local authorities would just stop blowing smoke out their butts and take some responsibility it may go a long way to addressing the problem!

Sure the farmers with their burning are part of the problem but it would be nice to see the cops also do more about cars and trucks that belch out black smoke because of no maintenance. 

But up north its mainly the farmers if they would check more and hand out big fines things would improve but enforcement is almost always lacking.

5 hours ago, dcnx said:

His 15 minutes are up. 

The only people here who actually do what they say they are going to do are the prostitutes. 

I need to start going to the same bars as you. Lol.

Live in Bangkok and check the air quality as I exercise daily. There is not a single day that the air quality has not exceeded the WHO standards. In fact the air quality get worse day by day, not better. Most of the time well over 100. who is this guy kidding?

Leaving Bangkok so I wont effect me any more. The government will have national health crisis on their hands in 10 years when thousands of people will have lung cancer and emphysema. everyone will be walking around with a oxygen tank tied to their mask. But what the heck, the common people of Bangkok are expendable, there must be bullet trains to ride for the rich.

Pity all the school kids who breathe all this toxic air.

16 minutes ago, uffe123 said:

Live in Bangkok and check the air quality as I exercise daily. There is not a single day that the air quality has not exceeded the WHO standards. In fact the air quality get worse day by day, not better. Most of the time well over 100. who is this guy kidding?

Leaving Bangkok so I wont effect me any more. The government will have national health crisis on their hands in 10 years when thousands of people will have lung cancer and emphysema. everyone will be walking around with a oxygen tank tied to their mask. But what the heck, the common people of Bangkok are expendable, there must be bullet trains to ride for the rich.

Pity all the school kids who breathe all this toxic air.

In the meantime they demonize vaping and seem to have the funds necessary to fund the cop to arrest and incarcerate evil vapers.  And cigarettes are ok.  And health-killing PM 2.5 smoke from ag burning and forest arson can't be controlled because the poor government doesn't have the resources. 

They should completely disregard vaping and try moving enforcement to catching illegal burning. 

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Senator Yongyuth suggested that provinces suffering from pollution should report their problem every 15 days, while a subcommittee should be appointed to support the operation. Moreover, environmental ambassadors should be promoted to improve international communication.

Every 24 hours would be better to shame those sat on their thumbs into doing something or move-on !

One of the people in our street, right next to a police boot, tried to burn an old matras 2 nights ago. 

Make open fires illegal, enforce the laws, and at least 50% of the problem is solved. Try burning a matras in Tokyo, Seoul or Singapore and see what happens.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“Also, the PM2.5 problem is caused by burning activities in neighbouring countries”.

Look at what you do at home before accusing your neighbors, Thailand is a country of fire devils, at every street corner, every field and in the most unthinkable places, fires, fires and more fires, it burns everything!
Eliminate the fires in your home and then talk to the neighbors.

1 hour ago, SoilSpoil said:

One of the people in our street, right next to a police boot, tried to burn an old matras 2 nights ago. 

Make open fires illegal, enforce the laws, and at least 50% of the problem is solved. Try burning a matras in Tokyo, Seoul or Singapore and see what happens.

Laws exist, prosecutors are missing!

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Another one who thinks that the people are just a mass of regret!
For your information, here is currently burning a lot of plastic and other toxic products!
Make your statements just in case you know you can!
YOU DO NOT KNOW! 

5 hours ago, robblok said:

But up north its mainly the farmers if they would check more and hand out big fines things would improve but enforcement is almost always lacking.

………..and if my grandmother had nuts, she'd be my grandfather!

An astonishing degree of insincerity, backed up by as astonishing degree of incompetence, knowledge, and ability to get things done. The ultimate definition of an empty suit. 

This guys father was PM for less than two years from 1995 to 1997 and was said to be partly responsible for the financial crisis of 1997. He led an administration was nearly as incompetent to that of the current administration of Prayuth. And how did this "current environmental" ministers father die? Complications from asthma. How fitting. 

23 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

He loses any little credibility he had when he states that it is caused by neighbouring countries. I must have just imagined seeing countless burning when flying over northern Thailand? 

It actually works. Countless people I know mistakenly think it's Myanmar, Laos etc. so I don't blame him for adding that caveat.

Like others in this topic I think that poor air quality has a lot to do with traffic and smoke belching diesels, especially here in Chiang Mai where the air is filthy most nights.

Archived