some good motorbike routes out of bkk

samuttodd

1 hour ago, samuttodd said:

My apologies for the wierd photo placements,  I am learning the new set up.

Cheers

I think you did a fine job and some great photos of the area. being where i live it's always nice to see some one else enjoy the beauty of Chiang Rai and area.

Thankyou

• Like 2

19 hours ago, moe666 said:

Kanchanaburi is a good area for riding

+1 on this

I was there a couple months ago, went up to Mon bridge / Pilok etc and spent a couple days in the city, day at Erawan / Sai Yok etc, very good.

Lots to see and some great riding.

I'd like to head out of Bangkok 'up north' but the trip up there is too long and we can no longer take bigger bikes on trains. 

https://www.gt-rider.com/se-asia-motorcycling/threads/chiang-mai-motorcycle-rental-shop-updates.486/

This website has links to prices etc for hire in Chiang Mai - an Africa Twin is 3000 baht per day. 

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'd like to head out of Bangkok 'up north' but the trip up there is too long and we can no longer take bigger bikes on trains. 

https://www.gt-rider.com/se-asia-motorcycling/threads/chiang-mai-motorcycle-rental-shop-updates.486/

This website has links to prices etc for hire in Chiang Mai - an Africa Twin is 3000 baht per day. 

There are people that will transport your bike and you can fly, very professional but not cheap, BKK-CM about 6-8K i think or 2 for 10K.

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Most of the rentals are bagged and will spoil a nice trip when they s**t the bed somewhere remote....

Have you STILL not made a purchase?

• Haha 1

On 11/22/2019 at 5:53 PM, JaiLai said:

Most of the rentals are bagged and will spoil a nice trip when they s**t the bed somewhere remote....

Have you STILL not made a purchase?

That would be my main concern about hiring - On your own bike you know how well looked after it is, on a rental the uncertainty could impact how enjoyable a trip is.

I'm still completely undecided and thus still zipping around on the baby GS - I'm never this indecisive, but for some reason with a motorcycle I want them all and am left mentally stranded.

• Like 2

Just get up early and ride the bike out of Bangkok and up to the north ,don’t really understand all this the trains don’t take bikes anymore and the ride up north is too long.....can take detours of the boring straight highways and stop overnight some where or blast it bkk to the north in a day,,,the north isn’t the only place with nice roads ,plenty around in central Thailand.

On 11/24/2019 at 2:55 PM, richard_smith237 said:

That would be my main concern about hiring - On your own bike you know how well looked after it is, on a rental the uncertainty could impact how enjoyable a trip is.

I'm still completely undecided and thus still zipping around on the baby GS - I'm never this indecisive, but for some reason with a motorcycle I want them all and am left mentally stranded.

I thought you were loaded, just dive in and buy something, try it for a year and if no good sell for maybe 100-150K loss ( depending on model ), it's not that big a hit really.....

2 hours ago, taninthai said:

Just get up early and ride the bike out of Bangkok and up to the north ,don’t really understand all this the trains don’t take bikes anymore and the ride up north is too long.....can take detours of the boring straight highways and stop overnight some where or blast it bkk to the north in a day,,,the north isn’t the only place with nice roads ,plenty around in central Thailand.

If you have all the time in the world detours are great, if you've only got 4-5 days for example you'll use them all getting up north and back.

I only to be away from home for 4-5 days at a time, any more than that and the locals start to annoy me too much.

Out of BKK, I usually head out early on weekends. If you are on the arterial roads before about 6.30am you get a clear run. I usually just leave at sun up. There are no great roads surrounding BKK, you need to slab it to get somewhere, but the rural roads make it more pleasant.

To Kanchanaburi I usually head up the western corridors Ratchapruek or Kanchanpriesek roads and join the 436 through Bang Len. Or often find my way onto the 3004 and then stop at Wat Lam Phaya Floating market for a coffee or a quick bite if not in a hurry. so you could head for Puttamonthon and join the 3004 from there.

The 4012 south is nice in the mornings and not a lot of traffic. Few nice things to do and the occasional coffee shop to stop at if the usual Som Tam Gai Yang road side places aren't always your thing.

To Nakhon Nayok, The 3481 will keep you away from Rangsit's hideous traffic. It will join you up to the 3077 to the Khao Yai National Park or you can head up the cuttings on the 304. Either keep heading north or scoot around tot the left and come back via Saraburi. Couple of nice temples near Sara Buri if that is your thing.

Straight north is a slab up to Phetchabun or Phitsanalouk or Tak.

East I usually take the 341 until Chantaburi then follow the little coast roads. Some sleepy little places there.

Let us know what you find. I have forgotten more roads than I remember in Thailand.

• Like 1