Poll for longer term expats: Do you feel scapegoated as a foreigner here?

Jingthing

Scapegoating?  

290 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Just ask for your money back from your wife, stop supporting her parents and don't pay for the kids schooling. When they ask why explain you need it to pay the insurance. Perhaps they might complain to the government that their insurance scheme is making them out of pocket. If every married farang did the same, it might have an effect.

As long as farangs keep paying, they ain't going to care.

I probably would do as you suggest if I didn't love my wife. She didn't ask me for a home, I built it because I wanted her to have it and there was no way it was going to happen for her if I didn't make it happen. I don't regret any of my decisions but as in all things time alters perception. I didn't want to have money in a Thai bank, thought it was safer in Canada when the exchange rate was 35.8, that looks like a pretty bad decision when the rate is 22.3. That isn't my wifes fault, that's on me.

A good deal of the people that feel 'scapegoated' here would feel the same anywhere. I voted no but have changed my mind. With each passing post that I read I feel like I am on the downward spiral of victimization. At least I have my Avocado toast and my security blanket to help me cope. 

13 minutes ago, DoktorC said:

Why what happens to you because you are white?

Probably something like the feeling of total horror of maybe (but usually not) having to compete in society based on his actual value like everyone else. Change hurts!

Edited by Jingthing

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Probably something like the feeling of total horror of maybe (but usually not) having to compete in society based on his actual value like everyone else. Change hurts!

Says the guy who is literally scouring the Earth for any country he can get a slight advantage in because Thailand is becoming too troublesome. I would love to see you repatriate and compete based on your actual intrinsic value.

You would be crapping your pants if somebody put you on a one way ticket back to the USA.

Edited by Cryingdick

"Scapegoated" might be too strong a word, but, what with the onerous Thai immigration laws, I certainly feel like a crook on parole.

This feeling is all the more acute whenever I reflect on the fact that my Thai wife holds a ten-year, multiple entry U.S. visitor visa and is permitted to stay for six months each time she enters the U.S.

No 90 day reports or TM30s required.

A little reciprocity would be nice.

• Like 2