Thai economy: Thais staying home and not going out to eat

webfact

Wouldn't know it from the endless parade of motorbikes with coolers or hot boxes attached the bike.  

The 20 Somethings I live with do not cook.  They couldn't eat at home.  They order out, endlessly, and with abandon.  

Dinner is served - by Grab

Edited by 4675636b596f75
I damn well felt like it.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MartinBangkok said:

A country can decide to fix its currency at any given time. And vice versa.

devaluation  does not equal depreciation

There have been no devaluations of any currency for more then 40 years.

And it is not just a matter of using the proper macro economic expressions. The way to achieve it is very different - basically a unilateral decision versus a combined effort by several governments. Also most National Banks are now independent from their governments.

And don't get me started again about tourism, export and GDP.

3 hours ago, torturedsole said:

To save money is nice but saving the planet is out of my scope and most certainly out of the scope of the majority of Thais.  I'm a fully-fledged climate change denier and I don't care.  I'm all for recycling and doing our bit but will never get excited about turning a light switch 

My wife's family leave lights tv's on all the time then complain about the bills. As far as climate change deniers I hope you fall off the edge of the flat earth. You are a minority who should be stamped out. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

In the end the bad economy is good for the environment. ????

Except when the real poor go into the forest to see what they can trap and hunt and exploit , like firewood.

I live near the sea , and the home made fish traps with blocks of styrofome and plastic bottles as floats  and plastic flags make a lot of pollution.

In fact poor fisherman are dreadful polluters...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Asked what measures they were taking to save money, a total of 63% were

Calling anyone they ever knew ever to borrow  money.well when i say  borrow  i mean give.....we've  had a  few  calls  so far but we're  really blackhearts

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, oldhippy said:

It is impossible to devalue a floating currency, but I catch your drift.

THB isn't a floating currency. it's a managed float which is very different:

"the Bank of Thailand abolished the fixed exchange rate and moved to a managed floating system on 2 July 1997." http://econ.tu.ac.th/archan/RANGSUN/EC 460/EC 460 Readings/เอกสารและสิ่งตีพิมพ์ธนาคารแห่งประเทศไทย/Discussion Paper/2005/Effective ExchRate and Monetary Policy.pdf

A managed float is also known as a dirty float because it allows the central bank to intervene at will.

https://www.kantox.com/en/glossary/managed-floating-exchange-rate/#:~:targetText=A managed floating exchange rate,as a “dirty float”.

"Central banks and governments have a broad range of tools to “manage” exchange rates, from the subtlest monetary policies to straightforward intervention in currency markets. In that sense, most of the world’s currencies are “managed” to a certain degree, including the most traded ones. Officially, though, the International Monetary Fund recognised 82 nations – 43% of all countries –  as using a managed floating exchange rate in its 2014 report".

Edited by saengd

8 hours ago, oldhippy said:

devaluation  does not equal depreciation

There have been no devaluations of any currency for more then 40 years.

And it is not just a matter of using the proper macro economic expressions. The way to achieve it is very different - basically a unilateral decision versus a combined effort by several governments. Also most National Banks are now independent from their governments.

And don't get me started again about tourism, export and GDP.

Edited by whaleboneman
To be nice

11 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

I can't believe the part about Thai people turning off lights.

I dont believe neither its broad daylight and everytime she walks past a light switch she has to turn it on but never turns it of when she walks past it again, same with doors kike in our bedroom with the A/C walks out leave the door open come back leaves the door open <deleted> close the door they're all the same the cleaners do it and if we have workers or the gardeners leaving the front gate open 

9 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

I have never understood why 7/11 is so successful. All I can find in there is mostly junk food. Popular with Thais, perhaps this explains why there are so many obese Thais now? I recall when you almost never saw a fat Thai girl.... now look... no, dont look!

I guess we Farang are also to blame as we introduced our burgers and fast food etc.

7/11 This morning the kids getting their junk food fix slices of pizza's, burgers all little fat puddings they are becoming obese 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

7/11 This morning the kids getting their junk food fix slices of pizza's, burgers all little fat puddings they are becoming obese 

Yup its true! The upper class thais and their offspring will never feel real effects of failing economy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've been out to eat once this month (bill was 159bht including a large Leo).

My Thai gf hasn't been out with me for ages, she can't afford to eat out.

When she asks for more money I tell her to find a wealthier lover, but I'm afraid the market for live-in gfs has almost completely dried up (Thai and foreigner employers) in Chiang Mai.

<deleted> - you can't afford to buy a 40 ThB bowl of noodles for your gf's dinner!

Perhaps you should sacrifice that large Leo!

I don't think so. Rather, they lend money to maintain their frenetic consumerist lifestyle.
The Thai are not suitable for saving, also for this reason the Sino-Thai, much more savers, have practically bought themselves all over the country.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Sad... When did you last see a stunning Thai girl? Used to be your tongue would have gravel rash from drooling and dragging on the ground as every few minutes a honey strutted her stuff by. Now you see one maybe once a month.

I blame you, it would help if you had not introduced the Chip Butty to Thailand!

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Sad... When did you last see a stunning Thai girl?

I married her.  True story. 

As an aside we were at DMK yesterday morning and my wife pointed out an apparently famous Thai supermodel that was on our flight.  She was tall and slim but nothing special in the looks department and got me thinking as to what constitutes a supermodel.  So I concluded that her physique was up there but my wife is far more pleasing on the eye.  

My wife is complaining that takings are down in her shop. Especially snacks, whisky and beer. For the first time in 2 years, takings are now under 3,000 baht a day. 

I think the poor rice harvest may have something to do with it. 

maybe Thais are realizing the farangs aren't coming and worrying about the baht, and maybe using the internet more for girls.  buying a gf has to be the dumbest thing.  less farangs, much much harder i think to get money out of chinese, indians, koreans.  

only farangs tip.  got some jackets fixed.  80 baht.  i laughed, gave her 100.  she gets very happy.  i've done that maybe 100 times.  makes us both feel good and better than 2000 for one night with someone who probably hates you, drunk, and has 100 boyfriends.  lol.  

711 is great if you don't live in a city with a macro or big tesco or something.   simple things.  water, nuts, a quick safe breakfast, milk.  but i agree it's mostly junk.  luckily my body craves fruit everyday, so i have to go get it......but greasy market foods sometimes mess me up.  

I was sick and tired of lights being left on all over the house and costing me an extra 200-300 baht per month in electricity bills.  So I changed all the lights to Phillips Hue lights which I can control from the comfort of my massage chair. I estimate that it would only take me about 40 years to recoup the cost of the lights. 

• Like 1