POLL: Retired people -- at what age did you retire?

Jingthing

Retirement Palooza  

391 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm pleasantly surprised that people are commenting on this topic.

I'd like to invite people to describe the conditions of their retirement.

Did they retire at the exact age they had planned without external pressure?

Were they nudged into earlier retirement because of job loss and/or health problems?

Do early retirees regret not waiting? Do later retirees regret waiting?

Etc. 

Edited by Jingthing

I was 'restructured' into a job that required legal qualifications, which I didn't have. I guess it was the organisation's retirement plan for me. I lasted a year before exiting at 62. Happy that I am enjoying my life and am no longer part of that world. Yeah, and I know how fortunate I am. 

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm pleasantly surprised that people are commenting on this topic.

andard 

I'd like to invite people to describe the conditions of their retirement.

Did they retire at the exact age they had planned without external pressure?

Were the nudged into earlier retirement because of job loss and/or health problems?

Do early retirees regret not waiting? Do later retirees regret waiting?

Etc. 

I had planned on retiring at 50 but was told by Standard Life i could not access my pension with them until i was 55, worked on saved more and retired this year at 55, though did not need to withdraw anything from my pension anyway, I have zero regrets about retiring early, i wanted to do it while i was young enough to enjoy it, who knows what tomorrow may bring. i see too many famous people popping off early

Edited by brianj1964

I have been working from the age of 15, my final job offered me early release so I took what they offered at 58, my dad never made it to retirement (59) which worried me slightly, anyway, here I am, happily retired and enjoying life as much as the aches & pains will let me ???? been here 8 years, life could be a lot worse.

Edited by Golden Triangle
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I retired age 45, after watching 'Fight Club' and 'American Beauty'.

Got the same deal as well, a years tax free pay.

Two movies that changed my life.

Did you throw in a little  sexual harassment? 

A series of both fortunate and unfortunate personal events led me to retire 8 years ago at age 56.

In 2002 I was made redundant twice in the one year. Each payoff was large, even though service was short. Both went to the bank and didn't touch it. One of these employers had an amazing pension scheme with unbelievable terms should they lay you off, so a small but useful pension also started in 2003. Was pi@@ed off with the UK and so sold  house, car, everything and took a job as a school director in China for 2 years. Didn't need any money from home while there. This made up my mind to travel more in and around Asia, which I did, and the plan to retire as young as I could was born. I worked hard from then on, and after a volunteering holiday in Cambodia 10 years ago I knew it would be retirement in either Thailand or Cambodia. I tried Cambodia and it was great, I lasted 5 years there and only changed to Thailand after meeting my now wife on holiday. No regrets, now living well (and rent-free). Will improve financially a little when other pensions kick in. My only worry is medical issues and not having the NHS to turn to.

• Like 2

I retired aged 60 due to ill-health. I was intending to work till I dropped, and if that actually had happened I'd be living the life of Riley now. Still, one musn't complain. I do wonder what happens to all these English teachers, who come here age 20 something and get seduced - in their old age I mean. Luckily, I came here late in life. If I'd come here in ny 20s I'd be f@#ked. Just one advantage to being poor, I suppose. You have to make something before you do something.

• Like 1

43 but I was only five months in Pattaya the rest traveling in and outside Thailand. At 51 I got married which I swore I'd never do. At 52+ I started teaching so we could stay in BKK. I was going crazy from boredom. Wife has a decent job and I did not want to take her from that. Shockingly after ten years it was not difficult to regain my work ethic. First few years very rough, but I enjoy teaching for the most part. Ive really had some great students and changed a few lives for which I'm proud. I make good money. Prolly quit at 62-65. Move to South Thailand or back to USA.

Bangkok not a pleasant city. Especially in last ten years, five years.

Now having to think about the wife present and future I'm behind the curve financially because part of the retirement plan was no wife, no kids. But it will work out as long as US economy doesn't take a dump in next ten years - asking a lot, I know. The savings from teaching is helping. Not burning cash and banking good money. We live cheap and will do so as long as we're in BKK.

Have everything we need. Wife saves a bit too. We take one international trip 2 weeks each year. Two week long holidays in Thailand. I get plenty of time off from school, paid. Maybe 3-4 months.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

43 but I was only five months in Pattaya the rest traveling in and outside Thailand. At 51 I got married which I swore I'd never do. At 52+ I started teaching so we could stay in BKK. I was going crazy from boredom. Wife has a decent job and I did not want to take her from that. Shockingly after ten years it was not difficult to regain my work ethic. First few years very rough, but I enjoy teaching for the most part. Ive really had some great students and changed a few lives for which I'm proud. I make good money. Prolly quit at 62-65. Move to South Thailand or back to USA.

Bangkok not a pleasant city. Especially in last ten years, five years.

Now having to think about the wife present and future I'm behind the curve financially because part of the retirement plan was no wife, no kids. But it will work out as long as US economy doesn't take a dump in next ten years - asking a lot, I know. The savings from teaching is helping. Not burning cash and banking good money. We live cheap and will do so as long as we're in BKK.

If I may ask, would your Thai wife be willing and able to relocate to the US late in life?  Without having paid into Medicare during her working years, would she be able to enroll in Medicare?  Would you?  What about Social Security?

It has seemed to me that Americans who expatted to low-income Thailand during their working years would have a particularly tough time retiring up the cost-of-living gradient to the US.