Honda Sonic doing more than 120 kmh!

Kenny202

Was travelling to Phitsanulok the other day over the mountains Cow kau. Two very small bikes going hell for leather. I was doing at least 110-120kmh and these things past me like I was standing still. One was an old Yamaha Spark....a Yamaha Click type bike and a Honda Sonic. I think they are a 110 2 stroke. Absolute maniacs these two. Weaving in and out of speeding traffic. They were travelling downhill even faster. Both had those stupid bicycle rims too....must be rated about 50kmh.

How do they get these things going so fast? My first thought was nitrous but they were travelling fast over extended periods, not just short bursts. I don't even like driving a Honda Wave over 60km an hour they are just too light and flighty. How these guys had any control over these with the little cheese cutter wheels I will never know. 

21 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

One was an old Yamaha Spark....a Yamaha Click type bike and a Honda Sonic. I think they are a 110 2 stroke.

All three bikes you mention are 4-stroke.

Spark 135cc

Sonic 125cc

papa had a Spark would show 13o++.

Sonics are very prone to tuning.

Yamaha Click?

very rare.

I never understand the crazy logic of those wheels. There's a kid not far from here who bought a Honda PCX. Before he'd even received the reg plate he'd had the wheels off and replaced them with rims and tyres that wouldn't out of place on my wife's bicycle.

Not only must the handling be horribly compromised, the bike now looks ridiculous!

1 minute ago, torturedsole said:

I recall an old UK schoolmate at the age of 17 crashing his moped into the back of a parked lorry and decapitating himself.  Nice lad but speed kills.  

And does so here, regularly. And it's very often kids behaving in the manner described by the O/P. I try to avoid the feeder road between our village and the main road at school run times. There are so many of them racing each other to and from school it's truly scary.

It's easy to understand why 80% of RTA deaths are young males on motorcycles.

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

It's easy to understand why 80% of RTA deaths are young males on motorcycles.

The good news, if there was any, was that his head was firmly encompassed in his helmet so easy to pick up.  Horrific but that's how it is in these circumstances.  

20 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

He said a 'Yamaha Click type bike' Papa. Probably a GT125. They look very similar.

Was a Spark. Theyre a Yamaha right? I mentioned Click because it looked like that sort of bike. Older spark too

How do they get these things going so fast?

We have a 110 cc Yamaha Best II, 17 years old, and 56 K on the clock.

The thingy does 110 km/h without anything done at it.

It's relatively easy to make those bikes faster. A different exhaust system, a smaller sprocket on the rear wheel, or a bigger one in front does make a bike more quickly. 

Then a few changes at the carb. More fuel and more air, if you want to go much faster, a bigger cylinder and piston, or a cylinder head of another bike that you've got higher compression.

I always see these idiots when they think that they can ride faster than my 1100 cc bike does. And that on bicycle rims!

It's like asking for a terrible accident, the brakes are not made for it, the frame isn't strong enough, and anything else is not built for high speed.

What's annoying to me is that almost every bike is so loud that you can't talk to each other when they ride by. 

On the other hand, we did the same stuff and tried to make our 50 cc bikes faster. Our son just crashed, not wearing a helmet, but he's lucky — only some stitches near his right eye and some more wounds.

He isn't aloud to ride the bike any more if he doesn't wear a helmet. It took a long time to make him understand, but not riding and walking isn't what he wants.

Twice now, I've seen two students from the school where I'm working, dying on the road, and it was something I'll never forget. 

All I could do was holding their hand until they stopped breathing. 
 I always tell them what will happen if and hope that they get it.

Many people might wonder why so many of them are racing like idiots. IMO, it's the result of education in Thailand.

They can do what they want and how they want it when sitting on a bike. At school, they have to bow down if they wish to or not. 

Many are victims of a system that shows the wealthy elite in soap operas doing whatever they like to do.

Most of them do not have a bright future. 

19 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

When you watch it until the end you can see the guy saying" reu hoksip..That's 160 km/h..

164kmh - very impressive. 
Disappointing lack of ‘skid gear’ (leathers).

On the Op: if he was going 120km and the scooters passed him so quickly how did her observe them for so long? 

They pass, they’re gone - it’s a 5-10 second thing before they’re out of sight if they are going so fast. 

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

164kmh - very impressive. 
Disappointing lack of ‘skid gear’ (leathers).

On the Op: if he was going 120km and the scooters passed him so quickly how did her observe them for so long? 

They pass, they’re gone - it’s a 5-10 second thing before they’re out of sight if they are going so fast. 

Very impressive are his rear brakes. They don't exist and it would be too much weight. It's frightening on such a thingy to ride 164.

It's even on my 1100 cc bike pretty fast. 

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

Very impressive are his rear brakes. They don't exist and it would be too much weight. It's frightening on such a thingy to ride 164.

It's even on my 1100 cc bike pretty fast. 

How much do the rear brakes benefit stopping when at speed?

I have always figured nearly all the stopping power comes from the front brake, while obviously using both rear and front brake improves stopping distance. 

I guess it varies from bike to bike... I reckon about 90% front, 10% rear. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have always figured nearly all the stopping power comes from the front brake, while obviously using both rear and front brake improves stopping distance. 

That depends on if it's a rear brake with a disc and pads or one with a drum and shoes.  

I teach my students about brakes because too many of them crash on scooters with two brake levers. On these scooters, the front disc brake might deliver 65 to 75 %, and the rear drum does "the rest."

If it's raining and you pull the front brake only, the front tire will slip away, and you crash.

Unfortunately, it is one of the causes of too many motorbike accidents nationwide.  

And many of them end deadly because people don't wear helmets. 

Most riders don't even know what lever is for what brake.

In countries where people have to make a real driver's license, they will learn that, but not here.

Neither the students know how their motorbike brakes work, nor do their teachers.

It should be part of the Thai curriculum to teach them safely on bikes. It's not enough to say TIT!

It's what young men - and some women do.

It's what I did at that age.

The amount of risk you are willing to accept changes with your age.

Youth has a much higher threshold.

And reading some of the posts here some members sure seemed to live a Namby Pamby Life - now and in their youth

I have a Suzuki Raider 150 which in a way is similar to the Sonic.

My bike reaches easy 100km/h and would go faster.

And, importantly, it's very stable at that speed.

As far as I know it's also used for racing. (That is not my bike, but I like it)

mod-suzuki-belang-r150-640x480.jpg.a0c79917ca0082efdb136122bcad4ebe.jpg

5 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

That depends on if it's a rear brake with a disc and pads or one with a drum and shoes.  

I teach my students about brakes because too many of them crash on scooters with two brake levers. On these scooters, the front disc brake might deliver 65 to 75 %, and the rear drum does "the rest."

If it's raining and you pull the front brake only, the front tire will slip away, and you crash.

Unfortunately, it is one of the causes of too many motorbike accidents nationwide.  

And many of them end deadly because people don't wear helmets. 

Most riders don't even know what lever is for what brake.

In countries where people have to make a real driver's license, they will learn that, but not here.

Neither the students know how their motorbike brakes work, nor do their teachers.

It should be part of the Thai curriculum to teach them safely on bikes. It's not enough to say TIT!

The above bike is for racing. Racing like 100% acceleration or 100% braking.

I had a Honda VFR400 with very good front disc brakes. When braking hard it was almost useless to use the rear brake because the rear wheel often didn't even touch the ground. That's racing...

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's generally reckoned that between 60/40% and 70/30% is the appropriate balance between front and rear braking effort. The purpose of having balanced braking is to reduce the risk of the rear wheel lifting  off and destabilizing the bike. It's the reason why I like Honda's combi braking system, although an experienced rider knows what pressure to apply almost by instinct.

There is, of course also a legal reason for front and rear brakes, in that all motor vehicles must have 2 independent braking systems.

Drag racers, of course, don't need to be street legal, so they can dispense with the rear brake to keep the weight down.

Archived