Are Thais being ripped of BTS - MRT wise

robblok

Agree, however I see another slant.

As said, it's well established that many Thai folks simply cannot afford BTS and MRT fares.

Seems to me that there would be several good benefits in the government subsidizing fares on both the BTS and the MRT to get much bigger rider numbers and especially whilst Thailand is a developing country. 

5 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

There is no way that they can increase ridership on either the BTS or MRT with the present system.  These trains are already packed to the brim.  More riders is not the issue.

If they are going to increase ridership they first have to buy more trains and cars.

Fair comment however is still believe;

"As said, it's well established that many Thai folks simply cannot afford BTS and MRT fares.

Seems to me that there would be several good benefits in the government subsidizing fares on both the BTS and the MRT to get much bigger rider numbers and especially whilst Thailand is a developing country" But yes they would need more trains.

Edited by scorecard

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Sure they need more carriages, but it just seems to me that the pricing is totally wrong. Its far too high compared to Singapore. 

I just wonder how they justify the price. 

If its a deterrent for more people using the service i might understand. But i doubt that is the case. I think its making fat profits on the backs of the Thais. Something that should not happen with public transport.

BTS Group reported a net profit of 2.171 billion baht in the first half of fiscal year 2019/20.
O&M revenue in this quarter increased by 414 million baht or 91.5% from last year to 866 million baht.
  • BTS sees mass transit driving FY19 revenue by 200%
  • Riding to the rescue.
  • BTS musters resources for rail projects.
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, robblok said:

Sure they need more carriages, but it just seems to me that the pricing is totally wrong. Its far too high compared to Singapore. 

I just wonder how they justify the price. 

If its a deterrent for more people using the service i might understand. But i doubt that is the case. I think its making fat profits on the backs of the Thais. Something that should not happen with public transport.

Silly observations really. Come on man.

They justify it by demand.

You could also look at another way and compare it to the Airport Link where demand is not as high. I am pretty sure the prices were higher when Airport Link opened. Also have a look at BRT which had the price set at 5 baht for the longest time (compared to dirty and overcrowded baht bus which was 9-10 baht).

BTW, BTS and MRT keeps expanding. Somehow they have to finance these projects.

1 minute ago, Pravda said:

You could also look at another way and compare it to the Airport Link where demand is not as high. I am pretty sure the prices were higher when Airport Link opened. Also have a look at BRT which had the price set at 5 baht for the longest time (compared to dirty and overcrowded baht bus which was 9-10 baht).

Supply and demand only work if there are viable options. This is kinda like a monopoly. But I do get your drift.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Supply and demand only work if there are viable options. This is kinda like a monopoly. But I do get your drift.

This is the same thing I wondered 10 years ago when I went to Tokyo and was paying 1-3 bucks for a Subway ride comparing to Toronto which has the worst public transport comparing to any mega city on the planet and paying $3. Demand and yes monopoly. Thais are using BTS in large numbers. They can command any price they want. 

Not to compare but the place we are in now is 7 Baht equivalent per trip on the MRT regardless of the number of stations, buses the same rate, flat fare. MRT line is much shorter so it may be partially due to the maintenance and future development costs that the BTS and MRT cost more per trip.

Definitely overpriced when you compare to major global cities like London, Tokyo, New York etc. Thankfully I rarely use it but for your average Thai they could easily be paying over 100THB+ per day to go a handful of stations to work and home. 

• Like 1

As you are going to create a topic for everything that is different between Singapore and Thailand can I suggest a few. 

1 Cleansiness of toilets

2 Quality of driving

3 Clensiness of the airport

4 How many times a day do people in Singapore go to the toilet compared to Thailand

5 Strength of the Singapore dollar

6 Should I go back to Singapore and find more things to compare.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Pravda said:

16-59 baht (BTS) is not very cheap in my opinion. Thats a one way ticket. 

2 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Definitely overpriced when you compare to major global cities like London, Tokyo, New York etc. Thankfully I rarely use it but for your average Thai they could easily be paying over 100THB+ per day to go a handful of stations to work and home. 

Yes it's too expensive compared to a taxi or bahtbus. And for that high price you have to stand 30-60 minutes and arrive tired and sweaty at your destination.

6 hours ago, RayHaas said:

Price per station in Thailand is about the most expensive in the world.

Not even close. There are thousands of possible trips you can choose from of course, but just an example of 2 trips I’ve made.

Sydney, Australia. Wynyard to Lindfield, 13 km, 10 stations, $A5.60 = 116 baht. Add $A14.90 = 310 baht if you’re travelling from the airport.

Siam - On Nut, 13km, 10 stations, 44 baht

Correcting for average income, however, Australia is cheaper, and if you’re not travelling at peak hour, you’ll almost always have a seat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CygnusX1 said:

Not even close. There are thousands of possible trips you can choose from of course, but just an example of 2 trips I’ve made.

Sydney, Australia. Wynyard to Lindfield, 13 km, 10 stations, $A5.60 = 116 baht. Add $A14.90 = 310 baht if you’re travelling from the airport.

Siam - On Nut, 13km, 10 stations, 44 baht

Correcting for average income, however, Australia is cheaper, and if you’re not travelling at peak hour, you’ll almost always have a seat.

The NSW pricing system is the weirdest I've ever seen. 2 adults go together from point A to point B - each charged a different price...I went to ask an employee at the station - he said they have no idea about how the pricing works... looked for answers at their website, the explanation for the pricing system is so long and so confusing I just gave up... and yes, there's also the airport tax...