How can I get to North Bus Terminal without being ripped off?

youbuyshirt

I’m staying on Buakaew, a 10 minute walk from S. Pattaya Road. When I go to the North Bus Terminal in a few days I will have 2 or 3 pretty big pieces of luggage. What is best way to transport myself and my luggage to the bus terminal?

I went to 3rd Road tonight to see what the baht bus sitation is like there, and if any of them go to the bus station. Very few baht buses going toward the bus station and those that I saw would not stop for me.

I’ve heard that the taxis are super ripoffs in Pattaya so would prefer to avoid.

What is best to do? Get a baht bus on Buakaew and get off at N. Pattaya Rd? How much would they charge me with my luggage? Then get another baht bus on N. Pattaya Rd. to the bus station?

Thanks for assistance.

The ordinary baht bus at 10 baht to north road and then a long wait for the baht bus to bus station 10 baht. Total 20 baht.

Don't want to drag several big bags to Second Rd, pay to charter one. As said 150 would be reasonable.

The choice is either drag bags or pay more- up to you. I paid 200 from Second to Nakhonchai ( ?spelling ) Air bus station on Sukhumvit.

I normally take the baht bus to Jomtien and travel with the airport bus 130 baht, then train back to BTS 45 baht. 

But if you have a lot of luggage just ask for a private ride, 150 baht should be cheap enough. 

Thanks for the replies. If I take baht bus, should I get it on 2nd Road, or Buakhaew?

Baht bus does not charge extra for luggage?

I don't have to drag bags, I have a rolling trolley, but it's too far to walk to station.

I am ultimately heading to Aranyaprathet/Cambo border. If I go via Bangkok, I will probably take bus to Mo Chit, then bus to Aran.

But I am also thinking about taking train to Chachoengsao, staying overnight, then next day pick up the train to Aran. WIth the train I don't have to worry about bags being overcharged and mishandled, and I think that now it goes right to the border at Rong Khlua market.

Yellow bus from North Terminal to Aran was first choice, but they weigh your luggage and charge exorbitant rates -- 10 baht for each kilo over 15 kilos. And I don't know if they go all the way to the border or terminate at Aran bus station 6 km away.

3 hours ago, youbuyshirt said:

Thanks for the replies. If I take baht bus, should I get it on 2nd Road, or Buakhaew?

Baht bus does not charge extra for luggage?

I don't have to drag bags, I have a rolling trolley, but it's too far to walk to station.

I am ultimately heading to Aranyaprathet/Cambo border. If I go via Bangkok, I will probably take bus to Mo Chit, then bus to Aran.

But I am also thinking about taking train to Chachoengsao, staying overnight, then next day pick up the train to Aran. WIth the train I don't have to worry about bags being overcharged and mishandled, and I think that now it goes right to the border at Rong Khlua market.

Yellow bus from North Terminal to Aran was first choice, but they weigh your luggage and charge exorbitant rates -- 10 baht for each kilo over 15 kilos. And I don't know if they go all the way to the border or terminate at Aran bus station 6 km away.

geeezee …..  what a boring life I lead

Edited by steven100
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

never ceases to amaze me at how much luggage people travel with....there are laundries everywhere in s.e. asia that will clean your clothes quickly and cheaply...if u go somewhere and it is cool/cold there are lots of cheapie places to buy a second hand coat, use it and then give it away when done...nobody is going to pay much attention to what u wear anyway so why carry items around for weeks that u might wear once?   there are second hand book stores or even free books at many hotels/hostels or kindles...if u need a computer there are versions that weigh a pound or less....u can buy small versions of toiletries most anywhere...it is generally hot all over s.e. asia so a few pair of shorts, a few shirts and maybe one pair of long pants will work for most....one good pair of walking shoes and one pair of beach sandals is all anyone could ever need for travel....

reading the OP itin seems that he/she is travelling on the cheap with lots of public transport on trains etc and even worried about luggage being weighed?  perhaps a much more simple solution is to leave about 90% of that luggage at home and figure out how to travel light...it will make your trip much more simple, much less hassle, much cheaper and just generally overall a better trip...getting on / off trains/baht buses/motorcy taxis etc with big bags is not my idea of fun....

i see many of today's backpackers who now carry one pack on their back and one on the front...my thought is always why?

people who travel with big luggage , probably pay excess luggage fees and then struggle to get baht buses to save a few bucks etc...i don't get it.  Of course as they say "up to you" but might be worth considering how to make travel easier by bringing less stuff....

Edited by pomchop
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kingdong said:

I wasn't completely joking when I made that post. If all taxis used meters then no one would have to haggle and everyone would pay the same. Whatever you think of the OP's circumstances his/her fear of being ripped off is genuine. 

Why don't you ask the place you are staying if they can take you to Bus station? perhaps they have a free shuttle service? or can arrange a tuk tuk!

I would go via the post office and buy a big box. put half the stuff into it and post it home! plus you could also EMS your suitcase direct to your final destination in Thailand and just carry a minimum with you!

Edited by phetpeter

On 12/19/2019 at 1:40 AM, pomchop said:

people who travel with big luggage , probably pay excess luggage fees and then struggle to get baht buses to save a few bucks etc...i don't get it.  Of course as they say "up to you" but might be worth considering how to make travel easier by bringing less stuff

I'd rather bring something and not need it than be here thinking I wish I'd brought "x" with me but it's in the cupboard at home.  It doesn't cost me any more and I can spend less time doing laundry or shopping.

It's the numpties that loudly proclaim "I did a month in SEA with only hand luggage" that need a slap and told to get on with a real life.

• Like 1

The OP says he/she has 2 or 3  big luggage.  And based on description of travel plans I doubt that OP flew in First or Biz class...that means that OP most likely had to pay excess baggage fee which likely exceeds the cost of buying something "left in the cupboard" not to mention the extra cost/hassles of hauling a bunch of <deleted> around, on and off of trains and baht buses etc just in case he might need it.  

But hey feel free to bring all kinds of stuff and then post on TV because of worry about how to get around in baht buses, trains, etc without having to pay extra...never know when u might need a suit and tie and a pair of wingtips in soi buakhao or cambodia.   Having a "real life" has to do with thinking and planning ahead for the realities of travel rather than just blindly throwing stuff in suitcases and then having to figure out how to move it all around.

Edited by pomchop
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 1:00 AM, pomchop said:

Having a "real life" has to do with thinking and planning ahead for the realities of travel rather than just blindly throwing stuff in suitcases and then having to figure out how to move it all around.

You seem a bit disturbed that an individual would choose to bring stuff with him rather than live like a semi vagrant bag lady.  Although the OP may be having difficulties, most travellers cope quite adequately with what they bring, and 200 baht for a private hire baht bus would not break the bank.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bag lady

14 hours ago, treetops said:

You seem a bit disturbed that an individual would choose to bring stuff with him rather than live like a semi vagrant bag lady.  Although the OP may be having difficulties, most travellers cope quite adequately with what they bring, and 200 baht for a private hire baht bus would not break the bank.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bag lady

feel free to bring and lug around as much luggage as you want...just don't go on  TV and whine about people who are trying to "rip you off" for hauling all that stuff around.