Bartering

dd1988

39 minutes ago, robblok said:

If you feel insulted just offer a low ball and see how they feel, but punching someone in the face over this (must be your military training) is a bit over the top

All his military training will do absolutely squat if he punches a Thai man in the face at the market lol.

I leave the bartering to my girlfriend as she speaks the language and is Thai. 

I've found much worse double pricing in Laos than any parts of Thailand though truthfully 

• Like 2

Get used to it, bartering / negotiating is standard practice in 90% of countries across the world.

Here's a question, would you consider it OK if the other party tried to punch you when you started the negotiation at a level 90% below a typical price for the product concerned?

• Like 2

To the OP, who seems to have disappeared, I too was annoyed at the beginning when quoted high prices at some of the markets. However, you should see it as "just doing business". The sellers, just like any business worlwide, wants to maximise their profits. The customer on the other hand, just like all customers worldwide, whats to get the best/lowest possible price. It's a negotiation. You haggle/bargain and try to meet somewhere in the middle. This practice goes on in every business and at much higher levels than you or I haggling at a street stall. I don't hear of CEOs punching people because they're frustrated though. 

After having lived here for 6 months, may I suggest that you relax and either haggle or, as a previous poster suggested, just walk away. It's nothing personal, but these guys ony eat what they sell. The more they make, the more they eat. Getting frustrated, angry or verbally abusive is only going to upset you and make you look like a fool. Chilax. There are numerous other shops and stalls selling the exact same stuff. Try one of them. 

Edited by djayz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

I believe the correct metaphor would be haggling.

Either way I think you need to get out more and chill.

bar•ter

(ˈbɑr tər) 
v.i.

1. to trade by exchange of commodities rather than by the use of money.

maybe that was the problem... he was trying to barter while they were bargaining... anyone with legs can walk away if they don't like the price... [seller be- ware] 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He knows the price he wants but the system dictates he has to try it on. You know what you’re prepared to pay and If you find common ground the deal is done.

For me, if the opening price is so far off the scale that’s it’s actually insulting then I don’t counter offer, I say nothing and walk away. 
I'm not sure 6 months of being here is anywhere near long enough to be fully clued up on pricing. Likelihood is that you just don’t always know when you’ve overpaid.

Ive had experiences where the attitude has been if I can’t rip you off as a foreigner then I’d rather not sell it. My solution was always send a Thai friend to buy it for you.

• Like 1

Bartering, haggling, bargaining....we all know what is meant here so why not just get on with the discussion?

Reminds me of when someone talks about visa on arrival when they actually mean visa exempt. We all know what they mean but get a kick out of being pedantic because we think it makes us look clever

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Simple process....they know what to start at, they also know how cheap they will drop to. Your task is to find a level you’re happy with at a price they will sell at. If you can’t come to that junction just walk away. Find another vendor, wash and repeat. Simples.

• Like 1