Thailand Wants More First-Time Visitors as They Spend More

webfact

Instead of spending lots of time and money trying to target that 10-20% more, why not make the country a lot more desirable for all, and thus you will see a spike in repeat tourists and new arrivals, which will actually be more beneficial? Oops; I used logic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

So the TAT wants more tourists and that's enough to make you leave? Well done TAT! And bye bye. Bet you're still here in a year's time whinging and moaning about how much you hate it. 

Reading isn't your strongest point you proved again...read it again and use your spectacles this time mate.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Issanman said:

The repeat visitors have already learned a bit about keeping some of their money from the scams and overpricing.

So it only makes sense that the first-timers would spend more.

First timers  don't know the items their is a fare price of not riding in a tuk tuk is typical I'm asked 300B from Thon Buri railway station to I go Kho San Rd .metered taxi 60 Baht.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

First time visitors do not know all the tricks yet that the Thai pull on them yet.  Double charge them with falang prices, and the second trip they will never get in a tuk tuk again..

In all scams the extra money gos In to their pocket. Topical a taxi which won't switch on the meter. It's called corruption.

25 minutes ago, Thian said:

Reading isn't your strongest point you proved again...read it again and use your spectacles this time mate.

I did read it and that is essentially it.   They are aiming to increase the number of first time visitors to also boost the overall figures:  "Next year’s targets include a record 41.8 million arrivals generating 2.22 trillion baht ($73 billion) in receipts, both up roughly 5% from 2019.".

Have you left yet?

My main gripe is the air in Chiang Mai during the 4 months of burning season. How can they possibly expect to attract first time tourists when the unfortunate ones that arrive during that time are poisoned and warn everyone they know to stay the hell away.

2020 visitor numbers will be interesting after the complete debacle that was 2019. Even Thais wearing gas masks. Place looked like some dystopian movie when exiting the airport. 

Still love the place, just very unfortunate that they're so short sighted. Think of the children.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

Do you think Pattaya water doesn’t circulate Koh Larn? I mean it’s only 7.5 k away.

Not just Pattaya water. Laem Chabang water. Si Racha water. Pakong, Chaophraya river waters. In fact, all sewers empty eventually into the Gulf.

Not to mention effluents from shipping at KhoSiChang - bilge water, ballast, and oil.

The water in my toilet is cleaner than any in the gulf north of Sattahip/Hua Hin

• Like 1

There are two aspects to this repost:

1. As already stated, 1st timers spend more, cos unknowingly ripped off!

2. How about start looking after Long term stayers, i.e. years, who contribute to economy.... day in, day out, month after month & year after year..

Receive no fair treatment, just abuse & more & more Bureaucratic processes that contribute NOTHING to fostering good relations between long term stayers & Thai Gov't!! 

PM Gen Prayut & Gov't needs to re-think it's strategies for long term stayers!! 

• Like 2

It speaks volumes that 99% of replies are about new visitors being more open to scams. What I find just as disconcerting is the lack of understanding that (in any industry) it costs considerably more to attract new customers than to retain existing/repeat customers...

Once again, proof of commercial incompetence/niaivity and the fact that Thai's are taught/allowed to focus only on income/revenues rather than the overall/sustainable profitability of customers. All that glitters is not gold...

• Like 2

“First-timers spend 10% to 20% more than repeat tourists and at the same time, we can build a new customer base".

I wonder how long the Thai authorities think these first timers will take to realise how bad their visa issues are when, and if, they start wanting to make return visits?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

Listen buddy. You HAVE to be rich already to visit the UK for even a weekend. What does 2 nights average hotel , 2 lunches , 2 dinners, entrance to 2 museums and a taxi ride or two set you back in London?  I won’t read the link but the UK is looking for quite a different first timer or repeat “ customer “ than Thailand is, if you don’t understand that then you have become Thai apologist #1. 

Pointing out that every single tourism body in the world seeks to maximise spending - it is the single and only goal - makes me a Thai apologist?  And I'm not your buddy.

• Thanks 1