new <deleted>...motorbike insurance sticker pay for nonsense

lapamita

From a post February 2019 Hello Thailand they just renewed registration 

Additional Tips:

1. Outside the office a little sticker case shop. You can buy one of those plastic tubes to put your sticker in and screw it to your bike. Or you can buy a clear sticky seal that will paste the sticker to your bike. At first I was buying the tube but it has been stolen twice. I believe they are stolen not for the sticker inside but for the tube for resell. So last time I decided on going for the cheap sticky seal.

The sticker is supposed to be visible on your motorbike. I used to keep it in my bike seat but got a ticket for not showing it on my bike once. I am not totally sure if that is a real law or not but I would advise putting it somewhere noticeable. I would also suggest perhaps taking a photocopy of the sticker in case it gets stolen you have a backup to show the office when you need to get a replacement.

3. There are actually two Chiang Mai Provincial Land Transportation Offices which can make things a bit confusing.  One is where you get your drivers license while the other is where you get your sticker.  Just remember the one beside the Holiday Inn is where you get your sticker.

Once again if you have any questions please feel free to leave a comment.  I will answer you as soon as I can and of course if you have any experiences to share I would love to hear  all about it as well.

1 hour ago, treetops said:

Not since 1st October 2014.

Really? I haven't been back for a while, but that seems like a step on a level with Brexit! Nevertheless, my story is true, for what it's worth...not much, I know.

Btw, what do they have now?

Edited by Grusa
Btw

11 hours ago, DJ54 said:

The sticker is supposed to be visible on your motorbike. I used to keep it in my bike seat but got a ticket for not showing it on my bike once. I am not totally sure if that is a real law or not but I would advise putting it somewhere noticeable.

And I was led to believe it is not an obligation...  the policeman issuing a ticket is likely to be simply wishing to make the stop productive. I don't like the idea of the appearance of these sticky labels on the outside of the bike. About time the police were able to put the Reg Plate number into their computer system and determine if tax has been paid that year. Ensuring bikes (and cars) have plates, and the plates are legible would then become relevant.

I guess until I get fined it will stay under the seat.

Edited by jacko45k

Farangs on a vehicule in Thailand are the Golden Goose Riders, sent from the heavens, for the  corrupt hard working Thai Police Officers.

Use Grab as much as you can to avoid the racketeer Golden Wings ...

Another reason for tourist numbers to go further down, as people going back home will report such corrupt behaviour of the Thai Police against foreigners.

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And those silly things vibrate off all the time. We saw one come off in BKK sliding down Sukhumvit. Picked it up and dropped it at the police station, so hopefully the owner got it back, tho prob not. (surely would just have been ignored otherwise). AND ours fell off somewhere and was lost forever. We have a new one now and keep it under the seat.

First day of driving my new (second hand) car, i didn't have a new plastic film to attach tax disc to windscreen, trying to reuse the old one was impossible, got stopped at checkpoint and got the missus to hold it up to the windscreen, 300 baht fine !   no ifs or buts, my missus tried to politely argue the point, they asked her who is your father :cheesy:  '' him dead''  :1zgarz5: 300 baht then.  :cheesy:  true story you can't make this sh@t up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, treetops said:

OP is conspicuous by his absence despite having been on line.  Maybe realised he was wrong?

not wrong

the tax sticker was in a tube and the glass could easily to uturned with2 fingers to read it

sry for not reply to all the speculations

and yes their some nice cops, but  inside pattaya their some real bad ones too

i am not the first one get a ticket for that in the last 2 week

and yes 50 times checked was not fined for that........but at 51

th pic w the broken one i hit down from the motor and was taken from another motor..........

finished take tax stickers now inside the moto..thats it

and next time maybe get fined for...........having shorts on

21 minutes ago, lapamita said:

not wrong

the tax sticker was in a tube and the glass could easily to uturned with2 fingers to read it

th pic w the broken one i hit down from the motor and was taken from another motor..........

OP, don't look at it as a fine.  Look at it as a tax.  It's a "farang tax" and you have to pay.  ????

• Haha 1

On 12/24/2019 at 9:01 AM, lapamita said:

Shorts should be ok   but not wearing "something"  on the top half of your body ( T shirt)  is already illegal  I think its to do with the "cant go out in public without undergarments law"  from a long time ago...before that Thai women would often walk around "topless"  ????

not wrong

while you can see the  year, the way you rolled the paper is suspect that you can't read the registration number that's on the other edge, most people roll it other way round 

Life was a lot easier for me in Thailand when I came to understand my place in the circle of life.  Even entertaining...

When the masses don't want to pay enough taxes to keep public servants in groceries, much less uniforms, proper vehicles, etc. the shortfall has to be made up somewhere.   That's where we come in.  And by "we", I mean all participants in certain activities- like driving.  Not just foreigners.

A similar ticket "back home" would be in the hundreds of dollars instead of $15, so there are compensations.

ot wrong

Wrong. Shouldn't have had to turn the glass to read it.

18 hours ago, GermanGuy said:

I can confirm that this is a "new requirement". Tax certificate was inside (which had been ok at least a dozen times ...). Fine was 600 thb.

Old requirement I think, to display the certificate plainly (I always have; common sense if nothing else), but now being enforced it seems. Police don't enforce laws & regs uniformly here, never have. "Crackdowns" then business as usual is rather common. Next time you might be fine. The point is that getting away with something previously doesn't mean guaranteed forever.

I wouldn't hide the certificate to keep it safe from theft and assume that'll do in every case. I do like the idea above of making a (good) copy and displaying that while keeping the original safely stowed. Might do that for next year. 

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 6:27 AM, scubascuba3 said:

smash it with what? the Honda Click has a screw driver under the seat that would open it.

I'm guessing the Op may have been a bit aggressive too with the policeman, it won't help

Yes, he does appear to be a tad upset here. Probably more upset when it happened.