Foreign tourist numbers on course to hit 39 million next week

webfact

Funny...39m.

I work in dead Central Bangkok. I'm always a bit surprised when I see tourists this last year or two. Sure this last month I've seen more than prior 11 but it's nothing.

Ive often found myself thinking...oh, wow lookkee a tourist.

It's arrivals not tourists. Most of those arrivals move on.

No idea if Cambodia and Vietnam can accommodate a380, 747 but I think close but not yet. Thai numbers will tumble.

• Thanks 1

I’m not sure why Tourism Authority Thailand (TAT) are making so much 'song and dance' about 39 million tourists arriving by the end of the year.  Quote ”the highest numbers in many years”.  This is complete, and utter, BS yet again by the Ministry of Silly Numbers.

In stating 39 million, they are actually admitting that the numbers are down by 1 million against last year (2018).  According to the Airports of Thailand Annual Air traffic Report for 2018 https://www.airportthai.co.th/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Annual-Airport-2018.pdf

The breakdown numbers of international arrivals for 2018 are as follows:

Suvarnabhumi   25,483,275

Don Mueang       7,923,731

Chiang Mai         1,352,824

Hat Yai                 179,323

Phuket               5,194,929

Chiang Rai             120,535

Total                40,254,617

NOTE:

1.....The above figures only relate to international arrivals at the six airports managed by AOT and do not include international passengers who transited through any one of the six airports managed by AOT.  International transit numbers are given separately.

2.....International arrival figures for Kho Samui and Hua Hin are available from separate providers and the total number of international arrivals at these airports combined was less than 60,000 during 2018.

3.....There is no way that AOT, or TAT, will know if the person arriving is arriving for the purpose of tourism or for any one of several other reasons e.g. Ex-Pat returning from vacation/visa run, offshore worker or even a Thai national returning home from working overseas.  They are all classed as international arrivals.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Xonax said:

If they arrive on a tourist visa or visa exempt, why shouldnt they be considered tourists?

A tourist is a person who is visiting a place for pleasure and interest, especially when they are on vacation.

I would hardly say they are tourists if they are in transit, e.g. changing flights, i.e. not visiting Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 007 RED said:

I’m not sure why Tourism Authority Thailand (TAT) are making so much 'song and dance' about 39 million tourists arriving by the end of the year.  Quote ”the highest numbers in many years”.  This is complete, and utter, BS yet again by the Ministry of Silly Numbers.

In stating 39 million, they are actually admitting that the numbers are down by 1 million against last year (2018).  According to the Airports of Thailand Annual Air traffic Report for 2018 https://www.airportthai.co.th/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Annual-Airport-2018.pdf

The breakdown numbers of international arrivals for 2018 are as follows:

Suvarnabhumi   25,483,275

Don Mueang       7,923,731

Chiang Mai         1,352,824

Hat Yai                 179,323

Phuket               5,194,929

Chiang Rai             120,535

Total                40,254,617

NOTE:

1.....The above figures only relate to international arrivals at the six airports managed by AOT and do not include international passengers who transited through any one of the six airports managed by AOT.  International transit numbers are given separately.

2.....International arrival figures for Kho Samui and Hua Hin are available from separate providers and the total number of international arrivals at these airports combined was less than 60,000 during 2018.

3.....There is no way that AOT, or TAT, will know if the person arriving is arriving for the purpose of tourism or for any one of several other reasons e.g. Ex-Pat returning from vacation/visa run, offshore worker or even a Thai national returning home from working overseas.  They are all classed as international arrivals.

What about those who arrive overland or by sea?

• Like 1

"They work on the premise that if you say it enough times people will start to believe it!"

Bang on! And they've been doing it for years! A few months ago, for the first time that I can remember (and I've been coming here for 20!), TAT actually admitted that the figures were down, and now, miraculously, they are back up again and better than ever before!

And as already stated in Post #103 above, I can confirm that they are not coming to Samui. I've never seen the bars and restaurants so quiet, and I believe the hotels are the same. Similar reports are coming from Phuket and Pattaya (Actually CONFIRMED by the Hoteliers Associations - down 30 to 40% according to some figures ), so I have no idea where TAT get their figures from. 

As Mark Twain was supposedly reported as saying there are "Lies, damned lies and statistics", and TAT seem to be masters of manipulating the figures. However, there is also another very old saying i.e. "the proof of the pudding is in the eating", and there aren't too many people about eating pudding in Thailand these days!

I for one am getting bored with seeing their smiling faces and placards on posts on here declaring that all is hunky dory, when "every man and his dog" (except TAT and the usual Thai apologists) seem to know that it is not!

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking Thailand - I love it here in spite of its faults (otherwise I wouldn't be living here!), but I do get frustrated by these articles of "false news"! 

Image result for nero fiddling while rome burns pics

• Like 2

The world is not always what it seems. Anyone who's travelled could tell you that. This globe is filled with paradoxes and contradictions, with things that may or may not be real, with people who stretch the truth or attempt to deceive, with alternative facts and fake news.

Real tourists who take photos like the two shown proves the reality of the problem and facts. Bars, beaches, restaurants 90% empty, only the 7/11s are full with tourists. 

images.jpg

images-1.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

And, at least, six out of the 39 million was yours truly... (You're welcome, TAT.)

If you choose to come here 6 times each year on a tourist visa then of course you will be included in the tourist count, regardless if you consider yourself living here.....

I cannot question tourist arrivals as I do not have the documentation. i can report that Chiang mai Expats breakfasts have had lower attendance for what I am familiar with for this time of year over the last 6 years or so. of course most attendees are long term residents and their numbers are definitely down. I observe this is also true of the newcomers who attend, in part, to gain information about Chiang Mai and potential retirement in Chiang Mai. Currently, I am very cautious in recommending the latter.

3 hours ago, Traubert said:

What about those who arrive overland or by sea?

A very valid point which makes TATs figures look even worse.

If they (TAT) say that 39 million people will have visited the kingdom by the end of this year, and their figures includes all arrivals by air, land and sea, then this is definitely a drop on the number of arrivals over last year. 

As I indicated in my post #101, Airport Of Thailand figures for 2018 indicated a total of 40.25 million international air arrivals.  If you then add the land and sea international arrivals (whatever they may be for 2018) to the international air arrivals, then the actual fall in the number of international arrivals year-on-year will be considerably more than I indicated in my original post e.g. greater than 1 million.

As I said, another set of ridiculous statistics produced by the Ministry of Silly Numbers (AKA TAT). 

On 12/20/2019 at 3:39 PM, webfact said:

More than 38 million foreign tourists have visited Thailand since January 1 to December 20, the highest number in many years and the total is expected to hit 39 million on December 27, TAT public relations director Thanet Petchsuwan said.

Lies continue, who are you trying to conquer?
Khun Piphat or even the great General?