Bailing Out / Jumpin Ship

Gonzo the Face

14 minutes ago, digibum said:

So, if I had an American friend who had a friend that worked at ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) and that guy believed the US should get rid of all immigrants, that's the official policy of the US government? 

Purely just one example. Take it or leave it. You need to make up your own mind, but after over 2.5 decades + here with having family, mine is at the level of there is a weeding out process of most foreign expats wanted.   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

You are free to think what you wish but without creditable documentation we just do not know. In my case, after 8 years, I cannot meet the new demand for medical insurance. Even if I could get a policy, anything to do with my pre-existing heart condition would not be be insured so that cost would not be paid to a Thai medical bill.

The same problem re medical insurance requirement  is about to hit Brits who have retired to Germany, Austria, Spain etc. Tks to Brexit. You think Thailand immigration is awkward. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Life expectancy of western people living in Asia is a lot lower than them living in their

home countries. 

That wouldn't surprise me but I seriously doubt you have any data to back that assertion up, right? So if you don't it's only a guess. 

Also Asia is a lot of specific countries with different environments. 

7 hours ago, saengd said:

Perhaps the one good thing that will come out of all these threats to leave is that more people will start to think seriously about a workable plan B. We bought a small flat in the UK a few years ago and that's my plan B, we use it each year for holidays and rent it out the rest of the time. I wouldn't really want to live there year round, especially not during the winter months but if push came to shove I suppose I could. One scenario for us, if Thailand started to get to restrictive, is to spend six months in each location which is close to what we do presently. It seems as though present visa rules would allow that without too much hassle or red tape and may actually be desirable in many ways. Having that option available to me makes me feel less paranoid about the things that are happening around me and more inclined to go with the flow. I've never thought expats were targeted out of malice, we're simply on the receiving end of lots of people who don't function very well in their respective jobs plus a lot of knee jerk and poorly thought through actions.

Explain to me how I can easily stay here for 6 months continuos every year without a retirement extension or OA or playing risky visa run games. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

However, a large percentage are moving on because they are sick of the stupidity,

No you have that turned around.  They left their home countries because they were sick of the stupidity.

They did not come here because of a lack of stupidity, they came for warm weather, cheap prices and good food.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Explain to me how I can easily stay here for 6 months continuos every year without a retirement extension or OA or playing risky visa run games. 

From what I've read in these threads it appears that two visits per year of three months each is the maximum Immigration will tolerate without some kind of specific long stay visa. I haven't looked into the mechanics of it but even if that involves two separate visits I could handle that with some time in say Singapore in between. 

12 minutes ago, saengd said:

From what I've read in these threads it appears that two visits per year of three months each is the maximum Immigration will tolerate without some kind of specific long stay visa. I haven't looked into the mechanics of it but even if that involves two separate visits I could handle that with some time in say Singapore in between. 

One thing I’m curious about. Where would you stay if coming for just 3 months? Would you be renting a property or just staying in hotels?

On 12/21/2019 at 6:14 PM, Puchaiyank said:

Made my exit in Nov for all the reasons described in this post.  Wanted to stay forever...but at what cost to my personal freedom and sense of acceptance...

Happy to be away from all the hassles...

Cut the chord dude. But you cant your heart is till in Thailand and constantly telling us you made the right move screams trying to convince yourself and not us! Enjoy your winter

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 12/21/2019 at 10:21 PM, Puchaiyank said:

Nice try hotshot! You may be right about a hand full of expats gaming the system until the embassy letters were discontinued.  But you are wrong to extend the lack of funds reason to all expats that have left or are leaving.  Thailand has many problems...as expressed here already...many leave for a more healthy environment, ease of visas and quality of life.

Thailand is not that wonderful anymore...IMHO.

Speechless ????

• Sad 2

34 minutes ago, saengd said:

Someone explain the mechanics. Most of us get 30 days on entry without a visa. I don't think there really is an EASY way to do six months straight every year without risk of ending up at the airport detention center eventually. Prove me wrong.

• Like 1

All the farangs are bailing huh? I saw at least five buying gift baskets and Xmas snacks at Tops over the weekend, way out here in Issan. Then I saw this:

https://www.tops.co.th/en/thanksgiving-christmas-2019

Seems like an awful lot of effort, marketing to this shrinking customer base.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I wish I could leave the country and stay gone, but I still have enough feelings for my two kids to endure it a bit longer.

I can't think of anything else I like about the country these days.

Whats wrong? Your posts tell us you are in Vietnam every second month and your also banging everything on 2 legs. Sounds like your living the life but perhaps explain to us how thats possible with a partner and 3 kids living smack in the middle of a rice paddy surrounded by mountains on all sides ?

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Someone explain the mechanics. Most of us get 30 days on entry without a visa. I don't think there really is an EASY way to do six months straight every year without risk of ending up at the airport detention center eventually. Prove me wrong.

You can get about nine months out of an METV with a couple of border runs.  Is that something that meets your criteria of "easy"?  Seems like it wouldn't be too difficult.

Edited by TheAppletons
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

You can get about nine months out of an METV with a couple of border runs.  Is that something that meets your criteria of "easy"?  Seems like it wouldn't be too difficult.

After reading the details of this -- easy? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Need to leave every 60 days (AWFUL!). Need to show money (OK). Retired status probably OK with pension (OK). Issue of you plan to stay in a condo you own. They don't support that!

I asked for proof of some way to easily stay 6 months CONTINUOUSLY every year.

I appears not to exist.

https://www.tielandtothailand.com/thailand-multiple-entry-tourist-visa-requirements/

Compare to Mexico. Show up with no visa and a western passport. Six month tourist card granted on the spot (for a fee).

I would be actually interested in retiring in two countries, six months in Thailand and six months somewhere else actually EASY like Mexico, living in my own condo for six months continuously in Thailand. Immigration clearly does not want people like that!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2