Abrupt company closure means about 1,000 workers lose their jobs

webfact

4 hours ago, tgw said:

how little you know...

of course financial problems are kept a secret, because if publicly known, this would greatly worsen the company's credit rating, thus precipitating its demise because suppliers would insist on cash payment and banks would refuse to provide for short term credit lines to keep the company going.

I know enough to know that in the West workers don't just turn up one morning and the gates are locked; that sort of practice stopped a long time ago !

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

I know enough to know that in the West workers don't just turn up one morning and the gates are locked; that sort of practice stopped a long time ago !

you were talking about secrecy, not about locking the staff out.

5 hours ago, 30la said:

Always remember that you have a government that "thinks" about you, in addition Thailand is one of the few countries in the world with zero before the comma for the unemployed statistic!
Where the military reigns, hope reigns! ????

Well Bob Hope is dead, and that just leaves no hope then.

Believe me, this is not even the peak of an iceberg. A conservative guess would reveal that the number of lay-offs might hit one million (1'000'000) workers and those are the "official figures". The bottom line might be much harsher and it seems, that possibly the chicken are coming home to roost! 
Of course it is the wrong slice of the cake facing the music - again ???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Believe me, this is not even the peak of an iceberg. A conservative guess would reveal that the number of lay-offs might hit one million (1'000'000) workers and those are the "official figures". The bottom line might be much harsher and it seems, that possibly the chicken are coming home to roost! 
Of course it is the wrong slice of the cake facing the music - again ???? 

Are the "official figures" a Conservative guess ?.

Do you have a source for these "official figures" ?

On 12/24/2019 at 4:39 AM, Creasy said:

Only the ordinary Thai will suffer during a economic downturn.

The 1% are filthy rich and their servants in parliament aren’t short of a baht either.

Much like the rest of the world then? :wink:

This has been happening for a while - only so many stories make TV and not many make the main media.

Talking things up is the current strategy - and giving away cash to falsely increase consumption - and Govt increasing infrastructure projects spending.  But the economic crash is coming to Thailand - it is when and how hard that is unknown.  It will be be good news for some (lower Baht) and bad news for many (no jobs and no private investment).  But the net result will be a massive political change in Thailand - it is very obvious to me - but it cannot be talked about under the current rules.  Things will be very different in Thailand in the middle/later 2020s - IMO even bigger than the changes in the 2010s.

4 minutes ago, kingdong said:
On 12/25/2019 at 4:49 PM, FritsSikkink said:

The factory is closed and he will have to pay redundancy money.

Unless he's got a clever accountant

... accept he'd be now in the Bahamas

Edited by tifino

At inflation- and unemployment rates of under 1%, the strongest Thai baht ever, a GDP growth of over 2% I cannot see the decline and downfall of the Thai economomy. Maybe with the high Thai baht one might speculate that a peak has been reached.