Survival camps cater to new fear: America's political unrest

webfact

Just now, neeray said:

No need to kill game, maybe no need to cook it either. If the apocalypse was nuclear, the game will already be cooked (well done) and as for the vegetables, fallout will make Roundup seem more like salad dressing.

Nuke war is a fear of the past.

More likely is asteroid strike, solar flare, disruption of food or power distribution, civil unrest, pandemic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Anthropology professor Chad Huddleston said such fears sounded like “apocalyptic fiction.”

I'm sure he would have said the chance of the "Black Death" was apocalyptic fiction too.

Now that humans have made bugs immune to antibiotics, the chances of another black death is high. Millions living in close proximity will spread the plague very quickly.

Look how fast measles became a problem in Samoa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Many could care less about this.

The stock market is up about 50% under Trump.

Money is God in the US.

He will get re-elected I guarantee it.

So where is it where people don’t like money? 

Is there any country where people generally don’t always want more money? 

• Like 2

This kind of thing looks a little nutty to me, but what’s the big deal? 

Basically a big campground where for $1,000 a year you can go hunt, perhaps fish and hang around with likeminded people. 

Back to work Monday morning. 

Someone implied it would save the type of government they support from having to round these types of people up. I imagine all the churches, synagogues and mosques will help him with that as well, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I am wondering what were the roots of American paranoia. It's almost a mirror of the paranoia that existed in the USSR and East Germany, except the USA is purportedly a democracy. I can't think of any other democracy with such deep-seated insecurity.

What has happened to you, America?

A country with such deep divisions between the coasts and the middle is going to fall apart eventually. A political system based on opposition rather than co operation makes the split worse.

Such a country needs a war to unite it, and there isn't a big enough one going on at present.

It's descending into tribalism, IMO, but the tribe with the guns and the ability to survive is not in the cities of the liberal coasts, IMO ( which explains the drive by liberals to take people's guns away- not for nothing did the founding fathers act to stop that, IMO ).

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

41 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Making it through a nuclear war?  Where were these people schooled?

They have plenty of weapons, but those weapons are all useless against a drone strike or 2, let alone nuclear war.

Best to go underground. But as in the 60's, bomb shelters had no way to purify the air, so useless against nuclear war. 

I think some of these "survivalists" have watched too many episodes of "the walking dead"  

This topic and  your response  remind  me of the  move "The Bunker".

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Nuke war is a fear of the past.

More likely is asteroid strike, solar flare, disruption of food or power distribution, civil unrest, pandemic.

My bet is on a collapse of the marine or permafrost ecosystem... Or in the US the most frightening scenario is rising sea water forcing Floridians to relocate north!... :coffee1:

Edited by sfokevin
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

It is just sad.

The US used to be a place of optimism, but now has become a grievance-spewing, inward/backward looking area where differences are way more important that similarities; it is either 'My Tribe' or 'You are the enemy'.

Yes, a bit of an exaggeration on my part, but that is the trajectory.

Does any American even remember the words of JFK? 

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."

How I wish that the US could return to that attitude and spirit...

The entire world would be a better place.

always  struck me as  odd when  many moaned  like  hell about Trump who "won" rather  than accept and move  on ...moan bitch  moan bitch  moan............. get your chance again in 4  years

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The largest survivalist community in the US is the state of Idaho. ????

Take that with a bit of humor and exaggeration. 

This way of thinking in the US is not new, there are certain religious groups whose members keep a year's supply of food in each household. 

Turning the fear into $$$, hey, now you're talking!  For decades there have been entities selling gold coins so that when it hits fan you're not stuck with worthless scrip.  In the Cold War era there was the business of selling fallout shelters.

But we're now in a new era of fear, big time, and the word is civil war.  And the way people are falling for all the ____ coming out of the White House has some unscrupulous people licking their chops:

They didn’t just elect America’s biggest con artist [...]. They rallied behind him with an absolutely rapturous fervor, long after everyone understood exactly what he is. They cheer every lie he tells them, repeat every bizarre argument he makes and treat him like a demigod walking amongst us. If these suckers aren’t asking to be separated from their money, who could be?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/12/23/million-suckers-just-waiting-be-conned/

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chazar said:

always  struck me as  odd when  many moaned  like  hell about Trump who "won" rather  than accept and move  on ...moan bitch  moan bitch  moan............. get your chance again in 4  years

Curious? Are any of these loonie conspiracy driven gun owners disgruntled Clinton voters?... :coffee1:

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm surprised terrorists haven't hit food or power distribution in the USA, it's almost as if they're really on our side.

That's because, in their hearts, they want to live in the US, have sex with blue-eyed blondes, and have a snazzy car.  Maybe even get to be on a tv reality show.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1