Red flag raised on Chinese products in Thai e-commerce

webfact

1 hour ago, robblok said:

The thing is simple Thais want to put up barriers to protect their own country. Too bad its the consumers missing out as they will have to pay higher prices.

Thai ministers put up barriers to protect Thais from European products to ensure domestic goods sell in the market place, Chinese goods are allowed to be traded here at reasonable prices to keep the lower price ranges available to the masses, consumers are not really missing out on anything, they like cheap & cheerful !

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

Wrong! The ones that suffer is the environment since the crappy low quality products will end up in the bin soon and get burned or buried into thai soil/air.

Agreed, there is that. Although I would observe there is quite a market of the western country refuse also being sent to the third world.

3 minutes ago, Xonax said:

Free trade is not Fair, as long as China has all the advantages, like for instance Free international postal shipping!

Same in Europe yet it takes them forever to do something about it. In Netherlands they already own over 30% of the market due to this and taken out most small shop owners.

Interesting in Thailand is, it is worse, as the products are already in Thailand too but at the similar price levels. So then people buy from them even more as waiting is just a day longer or same speed.

Edited by tabarin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Xonax said:

Free trade is not Fair, as long as China has all the advantages, like for instance Free international postal shipping!

7 minutes ago, tabarin said:

Well red flag should be raised for sure, in less than a year time my wife her shop margins went down from 20-30% average gross to less than 7% due to Chinese selling so cheap as wholesalers in China.

How this covers any staff, middle person or shipping costs is a question but it surely ruined the market for many local sellers. They are also forced to work with dodgy cargo companies to avoid paying tax, as they would not stand a chance to make profits at all otherwise.

For most products, it is not even worth the afford selling them anymore. 
Now use millions in baht, to run her 'SME' shop profitable with generic products and worth the time to get the same prices and most Thais will not have that money (or interest would be equal to profits).

What was your wife selling? Imported Chinese things?

Lazada and Co will decimate online shopping for Thai's...if it hasn't already. Buyers want good selection, good pricing, fast shipping and free shipping. Lazada make it very easy.

People don't need to leave their house anymore for anything - even food.

One interesting thing I notice is my wife buying clothes from Facebook live sites - thats something only Thai's can do for Thai's...

I hope your wife can transition into something more profitable.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, DLock said:

Yeah, kind of what I expected. China are just so dominant in low-cost manufacturing of everything, that I guess you are competing with the Mother Ship that can offer lower-prices and free shipping on a scale that no one can compete against.

Worst is, when you know to have the honest best wholesale prices, and Lazada / mothership factories Fk everyone over by decreasing the prices with 10-15% and no prior notice.

Think about that on a million baht in stock.

Edited by tabarin
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Xonax said:

Any Thai shipper will have to pay Expensive postage to ship to China and all other countries, while all Chinese shippers enjoys the benefit of Free internal postage to any country in the whole wide world, including Thailand.

Exactly how much will it cost Thailand to charge and receive 7% VAT on a $1 product from China?? 

And Amazon isn't allowed in China...

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

“I collected data from Lazada website on October 11, divided by category and origin of the product, and found that there were 41.77 trillion products on Lazada, comprising 21.99 trillion of domestic products or 52.65 per cent, and 18.65 trillion of Chinese products or 44.65 per cent, which was a significant share while not many products from other countries were available,” said Pawoot.

41.77 trillion products on Lazada? I don't think so.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DLock said:

The EEC Trojan horse is finally understood.

Lazada and Shopee own Thailand eCommerce and will completely dominate eCommerce in Thailand funded and supported by Alibaba money and access to products.

2020 will be a really interesting year for Thailand...on many levels.

Amazon will do more than it does  now in the UK.

Same same but different?