Cancel old Bank Acct...... Open new acct.

I left my ATM card in the machine (I know STUPID!). I went back 20 minutes later when I realized what I did. No one had left my card in the bank for me so I canceled it.

Since the magnetic strip on the back of the ATM card has my account number The next day I went to my bank and wanted to close my acct (which I had for over 15 years )and open another one ....transferring the money from the closed acct to the newly opened acct ......easy right?

WRONG! I had to start all over as though I never had an acct with them.  I had to have a letter of reference from my embassy, a letter of reference from a bank employee and something from immigration. Told them just close my acct then and I'll take my money elsewhere.

Well to make a long story short ...... same story at 3 other banks and then went to K bank where they gladly accepted my money , opened my new acct. and gave me a new ATM card.

All's well that ends well!

• Haha 1

nothing  is generally easy for farangs here, passport, drivers licence & yellow book should be more than enough to open an account, for some reason they seem to make it hard for us by getting unnecessary paper work from several different places. At least you found one that was realistic with what was needed

• Like 1

I used to do this a lot when I first came here - Due to the fact you get your money before the card (Opposite of what I was used to). The card is supposed to go back in to the machine, and is collected on a regular basis and sent back to the issuing branch. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Amusements said:

I used to do this a lot when I first came here - Due to the fact you get your money before the card (Opposite of what I was used to). The card is supposed to go back in to the machine, and is collected on a regular basis and sent back to the issuing branch. 

when I went back to the bank they check the machine .....there was somebody elses card , not mine so I assume the next person after me took it.

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I've done this an embarassing number of times. Never occurred to me to do other than cancelthe ATM card and get a new one and this was also the only thing the bank advised.

Ate you sure the account number is embedded in the magnet strip as oppised to something else that links to it? 

Yes I'm pretty sure.

3 minutes ago, beachproperty said:

when I went back to the bank they check the machine .....there was somebody elses card , not mine so I assume the next person after me took it.

I hope your bank investigates who took your card. As far as I know all bank ATMS have CCT.. 

14 minutes ago, Amusements said:

As the Bank Of Thailand regulate Thai banks, I've emailed them before regarding the cash being dispensed before the card.

I suggested for security the card should be dispensed first and require you to remove it before the cash can be dispensed.

The BOT said this particular event is controlled by individual banks. Therefore they don't regulate the sequence of events, but they would consider it for the future (ha ha!).

I'm with SCB, their ATMs give you the cash, then the card.

I did use another bank's ATM (can't remember which bank) and that asked me if I would require another transaction after my cash was dispensed. I clicked 'No' and the card was ejected. I had to remove it from the slot before the cash appeared.

Can other members say which their bank ejects first - cash or card?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

As the Bank Of Thailand regulate Thai banks, I've emailed them before regarding the cash being dispensed before the card.

I suggested for security the card should be dispensed first and require you to remove it before the cash can be dispensed.

The BOT said this particular event is controlled by individual banks. Therefore they don't regulate the sequence of events, but they would consider it for the future (ha ha!).

I did use another bank's ATM (can't remember which bank) and that asked me if I would require another transaction after my cash was dispensed. I clicked 'No' and the card was ejected. I had to remove it from the slot before the cash appeared.

I have never come across an ATM that does cash last in Thailand.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I have never come across an ATM that does cash last in Thailand.

They won't give you the card first because you might have another transaction 

Opening a bank account in Thailand recently has been the cause of a recurring nightmare.

I was an existing customer in another city, I had my passport, previous city passbook Thai Drivers license, Oz DL, original Thai marriage certificate, a certificate of residence and my wife. No, no no. You need a letter from your embassy. Bureaucratic madness. Yes stop money laundering but how much ID do you need? That would be about 250 points in Oz and you only need 100. It was BKK bank so I went to another bank in the same city and they welcomed me. 

I really hate the arbitrariness of it all

Edited by Isaan Alan
make it perfect
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, beachproperty said:

You might think so ....but my account # is on that magnetic strip on the back. who knows what they could do with that info?

Just stop to think for a second. Pretty much everyone in the bank and in immigration who handles your documents will be able to know your account number, if they are so inclined. Even the shop where you make your photocopies will be able to store a copy of your passbook page that shows both your account number and name. 
Do you think a random stranger who picks up your card from the atm will have the resources to try and empty your account?

1 minute ago, Gweiloman said:

Just stop to think for a second. Pretty much everyone in the bank and in immigration who handles your documents will be able to know your account number, if they are so inclined. Even the shop where you make your photocopies will be able to store a copy of your passbook page that shows both your account number and name. 
Do you think a random stranger who picks up your card from the atm will have the resources to try and empty your account?

It's possible ....Better to be safe than sorry.

And Why would a random stranger keep my card?

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Yup.

My wife left her card in the ATM after collecting the cash. She realised twenty minutes later and found the card had gone.

My wife phoned the bank. She confirmed the cash withdraw amount. The bank said her card (ATM/debit) had been used in Big C five minutes earlier for a 3,000-odd Baht purchase. The bank cancelled her card.

(This was a year before the chip & pin cards were introduced)

My wife went into Big C and spoke to the manager, who after checking my wife's ID and also checking with the bank, found the fraudulent transaction.

Incredibly, the woman who used the stolen card, also used her own Big C loyalty card as well.

The police were contacted, who from Big C found the thief's name and address and went round to arrest her. She had to pay back the money to my wife and went to court charged with theft.

Edited by bluesofa
misprit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Kasikorn: cash first (unfortunately)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, beachproperty said:

Since the magnetic strip on the back of the ATM card has my account number The next day I went to my bank and wanted to close my acct (which I had for over 15 years )and open another one

Why would you do this? Are you afraid that somebody might transfer money into your account?

3 minutes ago, beachproperty said:

No.....Afraid though of somebody emptying my acct.

This is not the west you know

Yes, this is not the west. In Thailand it's not possible to do anything other than transfering money into an account with just a bank account number. You closed your account for nothing.

Businesses in Thailand usually have their bank account numbers on their website, if this would be risky in any way they wouldn't do this, for example: http://www.invadeit.co.th/shopping-information/

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Yes, this is not the west. In Thailand it's not possible to do anything other than transfering money into an account with just a bank account number. You closed your account for nothing.

Businesses in Thailand usually have their bank account numbers on their website, if this would be risky in any way they wouldn't do this, for example: http://www.invadeit.co.th/shopping-information/

Well I may have closed my account for nothing but peace of mind and that's enough for me!

14 hours ago, beachproperty said:

Well I may have closed my account for nothing but peace of mind and that's enough for me!

Except you got the opposite of peace of mind, having to go to 3 different banks and do a lot of paperwork. Anyway, now you know. Walk into bank, cancel card, pay 100 fee, walk out with new card.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Amusements said:

A couple of years ago there machine ate my card very fast, tried to recover ift but the bank says the card will be shredded when the workers open the machine, cannot recover, you sure yes very sure. So had another sent from the states