Last trip lost my debit card AGAIN

So after a lot of beers I lost my damn debt card again this trip leaving me in a bad situation unable to get (thai) cash. Or so I thought Until I paid Western Union's outrageous fees for a cash withdrawal on my credit card (all I had left). 

I'd like a less expensive easier option to withdraw money like a pre paid debt card and also a way to send money to my needy Thai GF. Yes I know what I'm doing sending a Thai woman money 555. Stupid but not born yesterday and I know what I'm getting into. 

How can I send money? How can I set it up to walk into a bank in Thailand and get money if I lose my debt card?

I know there are easy options like expensive Western Union with their horrible fees and exchange rate. I'm looking for the best least expensive option. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I would have used my CC but I never had before. So if there was a PIN to get cash I didnt know it. and cash withdrawals on a CC have a stupid high interest rate. I want a easier more reliable option, my first trip to Thailand lost I both my ATM card and my CC, I had to have my friend Western Union me money. I'd like to avoid that. 

That also does not solve my problem of sending money without putting the CEO of Western Union's child through college with just my single fee alone. 

From the USA if that matters, I had the money in my USA bank account but no way to get to it. 

Edited by ToYoungToRetire
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

Tip: don't take your bank cards out with you when you go on the beer!

Another tip: I changed my banking address to my parents house in the UK...when I lost a bank card a replacement was sent to them and they then posted it to me first class recorded.

New card arrived about 8-9 days after a called for a replacement.

RAZZ

I was only there a few days this trip. My bank was going to send me a new debt card and a PIN for my CC but only to my home address registered with the bank in the USA. I would have been home two weeks before I got either. My Buddy is my backup plan and he has the money to not mind, but I hate to ask for favors when I could take care of it myself. Thats what I'm looking for. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, BigStar said:

USA has quite a few pre-paid debit card options. Hit any Walmart, Target, or CVS pharmacy and take your pick.

That solves one of my issues. I would also like to send money to Thailand. I gave my friend $1000 USA before I left just incase I had any issues. But with a 14 hour time difference he's not only hard to get ahold of, he also has a wife and a life. I want an option where I can reach my USA bank account or at least transfer funds to somewhere I can get Baht with my passport alone. A lot to ask I guess. 

• Sad 1

isn't there some of the banks that you can withdraw money at the ATM without the card?

I saw my friend do that all the time, I think she has SCB.. just goes on the app and puts her pin, maybe scans a QR code (never really pay attention) but never seen a debit card in her hand (or wallet)

might be worth looking into

10 hours ago, YT3k72Em said:

1. Open a Thai bank account

2. Use mobile banking "cardless withdrawal" or use bankbook to withdraw money.

So to be clear I'm back in the USA, I looking to have a fool proof solution for my next trip. 

I called Bangkok bank and they wont open an account for me unless I have a Thai work permit. 

10 hours ago, kekalot said:

isn't there some of the banks that you can withdraw money at the ATM without the card?

I saw my friend do that all the time, I think she has SCB.. just goes on the app and puts her pin, maybe scans a QR code (never really pay attention) but never seen a debit card in her hand (or wallet)

might be worth looking into

My Friend mentioned that, I still havent figured out how to do that. 

On a side note my phone was working great the night I lost my card. Woke to a dead battery, left it on the charger for two hours and still 0% battery, the screen would come on and say I had 0% so it was still working but not charging. I had to buy a new phone in Thailand that turned out not to work my American Cell provider so I got tho buy another phone when I get home. Hows that for a spell of bad luck ????.. Lucky for me I brought my travel laptop with me and was able to use Skype on that to call my bank to cancel the card. 

Edited by ToYoungToRetire

13 hours ago, ToYoungToRetire said:

I learned that lesson the first time I lost BOTH of my cards, but that day I had no baht left and needed a ATM, so I brought it (debt card) with me. 

"I learned that lesson the first time"...… obviously you didn't.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, ToYoungToRetire said:

So to be clear I'm back in the USA, I looking to have a fool proof solution for my next trip. 

I called Bangkok bank and they wont open an account for me unless I have a Thai work permit. 

Try kasikorn,you will need a certificate of residencey. 

On 12/27/2019 at 10:20 AM, ToYoungToRetire said:

I would have used my CC but I never had before. So if there was a PIN to get cash I didnt know it. and cash withdrawals on a CC have a stupid high interest rate. I want a easier more reliable option, my first trip to Thailand lost I both my ATM card and my CC, I had to have my friend Western Union me money. I'd like to avoid that. 

That also does not solve my problem of sending money without putting the CEO of Western Union's child through college with just my single fee alone. 

From the USA if that matters, I had the money in my USA bank account but no way to get to it. 

Open a bank account at Kasikorn Bank. You can withdraw money from their ATM's using the "Cardless withdrawal" function. You just need a mobile phone with the K+ app installed. 

14 hours ago, ToYoungToRetire said:

My foolproof solution which has worked well for me the past 4-5 years is to take cash when I travel. I always have enough cash to cover me for my whole trip. I also take my debit and credit cards as a backup if I run out of cash for some reason. If I only have cards for my trip and lose them while I am out, I will also lose the ability to get more cash for the rest of my trip and be in deep poo. If I lose the cash I am carrying then I might miss out on a fun night but I can go home where I still have the rest of my stash.

I live in a condo so my cash is safe. If I lived in a hotel then I suppose you run the risk of your safe being opened and cash stolen. I also have to declare at the airport when leaving Australia if I have more than $10,000 but that is not a problem. Condo rent I pay by direct bank transfer so not included in any cash I need.

The benefits of cash FOR ME are much better exchange rates, no fees, safety, reliability, redundancy.