Will Thai Health Insurance be mandated for O Visas and Extensions

48 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Really? You want to play games like that?

No, I will respond.

It was a direct and 100 percent on point reply to the post I was quoting.

I considered that post very much on topic.

Did you even read that post that I was replying to?

Yes I did. BTW did you read my posts along with noted posts that your left field.

Along with other members quoting you along with OP confirming exactly what I posted very early. 

Address some of those posts from others rather than smoke screen. 58k posts coming soon. Any have merit?

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes I did. BTW did you read my posts along with noted posts that your left field.

Along with other members quoting you along with OP confirming exactly what I posted very early. 

Address some of those posts from others rather than smoke screen. 58k posts coming soon. Any have merit?

Word salad. No interest in such games. Goodbye. 

Although there's clear vested interests from some government departments and the private sector in widening the scope of this mandatory insurance, it's also quite possible that the pilot project was utilised primarily to raise the bar on the Non O-A. The terms of this visa class had become disproportionately generous compared with other alternatives in 2019 and the insurance requirement serves as an effective tool to take the shine off it. In this regard, even a dismal failure of the new insurance project would still translate to a roaring success from the point of view of immigration if it disincentivises people from using the Non O-A or forces them to pay a lot more for the privilege. 

Assuming the requirements aren't expanded to include Non O's, the O-A in future will probably shift to the Non O-X end of the spectrum, with far fewer applicants, although it will no doubt remain the preferred option for some people.

Edited by lamyai3

10 hours ago, baansgr said:

Only a matter of time. Providing policies are available for all at reasonable cost its not a bad thing

That has not been the case for the O-A requirement!

I do not expect a change to be implemented on other Non-Imm Categories... not the O for example as it doesn't make sense to obligate 1 years medical insurance for a 90 day entrance.

As to extensions, Retirement ones are a possibility, if indeed they wish to protect their hospitals from non covered Expats. I expect Marriage Extensions to get away with it, as people can be younger, and even working. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ballpoint said:

The way I understand it, as explained to me by an immigration agent, the 400,000 baht you need to keep in the bank under the terms for a Non-O retirement extension serves the same purpose as the 400,000 baht inpatient insurance required for the OA.  It's no coincidence that the (meagre, in my opinion) figure is the same in each case.  Anyone under a Non-O extension who doesn't have medical insurance, and can't cover the cost of treatment, would have the 400,000 baht to fall back on - either for treatment here or to be used for evacuation, and then would be unable to get a new extension, which is really what they want.  No doubt I'll be attacked for saying this, but I agree with them.  Anyone here long term who is unable to cover the costs of emergency medical treatment - either by insurance or savings, should really be returning to their own country.

OK, but OA extensions have the same financial requirements, so by this theory if you have to get medical insurance then you shouldn't have to keep the 400,000 in the bank

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, flexomike said:

OK, but OA extensions have the same financial requirements, so by this theory if you have to get medical insurance then you shouldn't have to keep the 400,000 in the bank

But they didn't have the same financial requirements for the first two years, only at time of extension incountry. When I first got mine in 2004 I was required to show money in the bank but not in Thailand and that seems to be the loop hole that people were exploiting by getting a new OA visa every two years. It's quite right that avenue was closed. 

• Sad 1

If it does come about it will be the final straw for many people,

the Immigration dept,keeps making changes,NONE of them good,

just last week Chiang Mai immigration introduced the need to show

a 6 month statement, they already see your bank book, all pages

copied,and bank letter.

regards worgeordie 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EricTh said:

So you are saying that people on OA visa don't need to have at least 400K in Thai banks to get a retirement visa?

That's always been the case, O-A's can keep their money in home country banks providing they go home every 1-2 years to get another O-A. 

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Personally I don't believe it will spread to non O based on whatever. 

Thinking it was never planned to include folk here on extensions with long expired O-A visas. Time will tell.

Agreed. The immigration rules on retirement have traditionally been grandfathered, such as the 200KTHB bank balance for the much older retirees. I think the Thai's will not be so unjust as to change the laws on people they have already made agreements to stay with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

LMAO ???? what’s the point of this topic? This is not even currently under consideration by the Thai government at all, and even if it was when ever they start considering passing a new bill into law or an amendment to the immigration act that usually takes them a very long time as it did when they first made it mandatory for new NON OA visas. They were considering doing it for at least a year before it was passed they had been talking about doing it for a very long time before they passed it. Currently there are not even any new rules being considered by the Thai government. So even if they did it would take at least a year and honestly probably longer obviously.

And if you really think they’re going to make anymore changes in THIS ECONOMY ???? after they have already started loosening up the rules then you should probably pay closer attention to the news because even the Issan Lawyers confirmed yesterday that immigration is starting to loosen up a little because of the economic crisis that they are experiencing here today. 

In fact here’s their post from yesterday from the attorneys and honestly this post here pretty much tells you everything you’ll ever need to know for the foreseeable future. It’s pretty much impossible to spray anymore doubts on this issue at this point as it’s pretty much set in stone now and that’s not just from the attorneys that is also from my local immigration office as of this month.

See this topic here they have pretty much laid to rest all of these falsified rumors so I don’t know maybe from here consider getting a hobby or something ????. Have a good day happy New Year ????

Check it out: 

Edited by ubonjoe
removed a oversized emoji (forum rule)

12 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

So for the moment there is a scramble  for  people such as myself to  change and acommodate to a Non O  marriage status which contrary to the claims of  justification actually lowers a financial commitment.

Even when Immigration is well  aware or  could require confirmation of  married status they have offered  no alternative avenue of discretionary consideration for those who are  married  but were initially here on Non O A status.

Not fully sure if I correctly understand what you are saying, but it is possible that there is some misunderstanding here from your part.  So below might clarify the issue.

>>> When initially applying for a Non Imm OA (long stay) Visa there is no marriage option.

However, once in Thailand and your permission to stay based on that original OA Visa almost expires, you can apply for an extension of stay of that original OA Visa.  At that point (extension of stay) however, there are options.  You can extend for reason of RETIREMENT, or - when you are married to a thai national - you can extend for reason of MARRIAGE.

The requirements are different, but an extension for reason of marriage does NOT require health-insurance and has the additional bonus of lower financials that need to be proven.

So there is no need to change Visa-type (and switch to Non Imm O) when wanting to extend your OA based permission to stay for reason of marriage.

Please note that the requirements for an extension of stay based on an original OA or O Visa are exactly the same, be it for reason of retirement or for reason of marriage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1