Will Thai Health Insurance be mandated for O Visas and Extensions

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I was quoting someone other than the OP and was asking him a question.

Get over trying to control threads. Also what's with the capitals. Is that a code for yelling! 

It is, and you can report him for that if you so wish. As they say ..up to you. ????

Edited by blackcab
Bold font removed. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording
  • Like 2

I am hoping that if the decision is made to expand the Health Insurance requirement to One-year extensions for Type-O Visa, that some improvements are made in the Health Insurance verification.  

For improvements, I am thinking along the lines of in addition to the current list of Thai government approved insurance companies, I would like to see:

• selected Thailand Hospitals allowed (for a nominal fee paid by the Visa Insurance holder) to verify the person's International Insurance (for all cases - such as whether it be from an International Insurance company, or a another country's health care) , and if the Thai mandated 400k/40k level is reached, then the selected/approved Thailand hospital provide the Visa holder a certified (on a Thai government approved form) a 1-page document, that can be taken to Thai Immigration as proof of adequate insurance
  • self insurance system setup for those who want to 'self insure', where one can deposit some TBD amount (1-million baht ?? ) in a fixed account in a Thai bank (probably separate from the nominal 800k for a Type-O/OA visa), and then that deposit be adequate for proof of self insurance (possibly with some other administration needed).  For other administration?  Maybe a 'power-of-attourney' for emergency need to be granted to some Thai approved organisation for cases where the self-insurance holder is not able to pay the bill due to injury (maybe to a hospital, or lawyer, with contact information on some approved Thai self-insurance card (again for another nominal fee)). That contact info (of the power-of-attourney holder) could also be entered into a Thai database accessible by Thai hospitals.

Those are just ideas - and can likely be improved on.

I'm hoping such possible improvements are considered, prior to any expansion of the Health Insurance requirement.

4 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

The way I understand it, as explained to me by an immigration agent, the 400,000 baht you need to keep in the bank under the terms for a Non-O retirement extension serves the same purpose as the 400,000 baht inpatient insurance required for the OA.

So you are saying that people on OA visa don't need to have at least 400K in Thai banks to get a retirement visa?

• Confused 1