Russia says it has deployed first hypersonic nuclear-capable missiles

rooster59

Russia says it has deployed first hypersonic nuclear-capable missiles

By Andrew Osborn

_102623819_rusavangardgetty.jpg

A still from the defence ministry video shows an Avangard warhead (computer simulation). GETTY IMAGES

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia deployed its first regiment of hypersonic nuclear-capable missiles on Friday, the Defence Ministry said, a move which President Vladimir Putin has boasted puts his country in a class of its own.

Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu has informed Putin of the deployment, according to a ministry statement that did not disclose where the missiles were located.

The new system, called Avangard, comprises a hypersonic glide vehicle designed to sit atop an intercontinental ballistic missile, one of several new types of weapons Putin has touted as ahead of their time.

Putin has said Russia's new generation of nuclear weapons can hit almost any point in the world and evade a U.S.-built missile shield. Some Western experts have questioned how advanced some of the weapons programmes are.

The Pentagon said in a statement that it "will not characterize the Russian claims" about the Avangard's capabilities.

The United States has been developing hypersonic weapons since the early 2000s, according to a Congressional Research Service report published in July.

Russia said on Nov. 26 that U.S. experts had examined an Avangard under inspection rules of the 2010 New START treaty. A U.S. State Department official confirmed that inspectors examined an Avangard, but had no further comment.

Putin said on Tuesday the Avangard system could penetrate both existing and any future missile defence systems.

"Today, we have a unique situation in our new and recent history. They (other countries) are trying to catch up with us.

Not a single country possesses hypersonic weapons, let alone continental-range hypersonic weapons," said Putin.

Hypersonic glide vehicles are boosted on a rocket to altitudes of between 40 km (25 miles) and 100 km (62 miles) before detaching to glide along the upper atmosphere towards their target, say researchers.

Control surfaces on glide vehicles mean they can steer an unpredictable course and manoeuvre sharply as they approach impact. They also follow a much flatter and lower trajectory than the high, arching path of a ballistic missile.

That makes them much harder to detect early with radar, giving missile defences less time to respond, say researchers.

However, Jeffrey Lewis, an arms control expert at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies in Monterey, California, said he doubted the claim that the Avangard can evade missile defenses.

“I remain sceptical that gliders will change the survivability of Russia’s nuclear forces since gliding results in slower speeds than traditional re-entry,” he said.

(Reporting by Andrew Osborn; additional reporting by Jonathan Landay and Idrees Ali in Washington; Editing by Gareth Jones and David Gregorio)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-12-28

31 minutes ago, harada said:

Yes Vlad, but can you sort out the few hundred (or more) that will be heading back your way after you send your new baby on its way?

Perhaps you're not getting the picture.

Perhaps ask how many, if any, would be "heading back":

"Thus, if Russia's claims are true, it has developed a long-range intercontinental missile system that may well be impossible to defend against."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50927648

USA currently 3rd, after China, in the race.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

I'm not American but I'm pretty sure the US has a lot of technologies up it's sleeves that they haven't boasted about to the world and also if they don't tell Donald they have them as he will open his mouth and give away secrets like he did with how good the optical quality of US spy satellites are. A small point, if the missiles are travelling at hypersonic speeds then as soon as they start gliding they will slow down considerably and in other articles I have read today Russia states they can maneuver to avoid missile defences, I doubt this is true if they are travelling as fast as they say. 

Enoon mentioned about these taking out silos but remember this is about missiles not warheads and these will not be hypersonic. Has everyone forgotten about submarines?. What Putin has done by announcing this to the world is to make the response quicker, countries will launch earlier and with less hesitation now making the likelihood of nuclear war closer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Based on a lot of the reading I have been doing, the Russians are far ahead of the Americans when it comes to several classes of missile technology. 
That is a scary thought. 

From the end of the '40-s we heard again and again all these threads of Sovjet nuclear power. Every time it was proven to be a ghost story. Russia simply does not have the financial means anymore to keep us a big army, nor invest a lot in new technology.

China with is activities in the seas around till nearly at the shores of the ASEAN countries, their massive purchases of fertile land + raw materials areas in Africa, their influence in S+ SE Asia, and.. their much bigger GDP... I see as a much bigger thread.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

I'm not American but I'm pretty sure the US has a lot of technologies up it's sleeves that they haven't boasted about to the world and also if they don't tell Donald they have them as he will open his mouth and give away secrets like he did with how good the optical quality of US spy satellites are. A small point, if the missiles are travelling at hypersonic speeds then as soon as they start gliding they will slow down considerably and in other articles I have read today Russia states they can maneuver to avoid missile defences, I doubt this is true if they are travelling as fast as they say. 

Enoon mentioned about these taking out silos but remember this is about missiles not warheads and these will not be hypersonic. Has everyone forgotten about submarines?. What Putin has done by announcing this to the world is to make the response quicker, countries will launch earlier and with less hesitation now making the likelihood of nuclear war closer.

Stalin alreqdy said NOT to be so much afraid for the US Army, but for the US drawing boards. The Europeans… Prodi already said that on TV... are irrelevant...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

From the end of the '40-s we heard again and again all these threads of Sovjet nuclear power. Every time it was proven to be a ghost story. Russia simply does not have the financial means anymore to keep us a big army, nor invest a lot in new technology.

China with is activities in the seas around till nearly at the shores of the ASEAN countries, their massive purchases of fertile land + raw materials areas in Africa, their influence in S+ SE Asia, and.. their much bigger GDP... I see as a much bigger thread.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/military-size-by-country/

Absolutely ridiculous for Putin to brag about this- so he has hypersonic missles- the moment he launches- the US; UK and France will make an automatic countere strike on Russia desteroying 50 percent of their population.  To what end- no wonder it's called Mad- Mutually Assured Destruction.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Enoon said:

Perhaps you're not getting the picture.

Perhaps ask how many, if any, would be "heading back":

"Thus, if Russia's claims are true, it has developed a long-range intercontinental missile system that may well be impossible to defend against."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50927648

USA currently 3rd, after China, in the race.

It would still be mutual destruction this doesn't change that. They would have a small window of time that they can savor their victory before nuclear holocaust hits them as well. 

As others have said we probably have measures that we don't go telling the world about. The idea of strategic space defense goes back to the days of Reagan.  Nice piece for Vlad to score points at home and not much more.

If you tend to be the type that is always worried about the end of the world this is very grim news.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

With millions of shipping containers crossing borders annually, I'm surprised anyone needs missiles any more. 

Just a smartphone, the code, and some strategically pre-situated bombs.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-weapon/deadly-new-russian-weapon-hides-in-shipping-container-idUSTRE63P2XB20100426
even more scary 

44 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

It will be to late to send any back ones that one hits the target

This post is so off I will just mention one thing that guarantees a counter attack. Submarines. I won't even attempt to address in larger detail how ignorant the post is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

Get some more info of your mate Donald

The counterstrike would happen on it's own even assuming Putin somehow wiped every American civilian off the planet. You are being obtuse intentionally?

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 1