Seems to be a crackdown on Airbnb in BkK

Elkski

Airbnb did give me 26$ coupon  when first guy cancelled

Must be used within 30 days and on booking  100usd more than the original was.  

Do we enjoy rules or freedom?  I understand  the NIMBY.  Not in my back yard.  I see airbnb as a way tech can utilize  unused space.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Yes, that was the idea in the beginning and how Airbnb advertise it till today. In reality people rent or buy condos and rent them out for high prices at Airbnb.

its almost all commercialized these days, and not peoples houses/extra space.

most of the listings have revolving door self check in keypad entries. its just like getting a hotel room basically, with the added stipulation that basics like hairdryer, etc are provided. the reviews are cooked quite frequently.

• Like 1

I do think I got booted for a higher price guest because condo was such a good deal compared to what I had to pay for <deleted>ty room last minute.  I may never use airbnb again.  

So luggage causes wear on elevator or just less room for your body?

I do not think some of these Foreigner  who run a 15 unit airbnb business is good but one upcoming  stay is a retired  nurse just starting her condo.  Cant blame  her.  Maybe  she bought  new condo out away from  bkk.  Should she have to sell or is airbnb  a good thing?  

• Haha 1

Hello,

I live at Belle Grand Rama 9, building B1 and everyday, I see approximately 20 to 30 Chinese and Indian guests checking in as a hotel guests! There's big sign in the lobby indicating that this is not a hotel but it's a joke and everyone at the condo knows it!

• Like 1

I rented a Condo in Bangwa lasy year...on any given day the pool was filled with Chinese and Spanish tourists noisily working off their afternoon hangovers and making the whole fitness/pool area undesirable. But aside from a sign in the lobby..nobody did a thing

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2019 at 6:39 PM, fhickson said:

likely due to the holidays/new year and you got booted because someone wanted the room or paid more.

they should have a penalty when a host just cancems like that.

They do $100 at short notice

There are some people who believe that Airbnb raises rental prices (for average citizens) in various cities, but I wonder where this belief comes from?

Not sure of the exact numbers today, but Airbnb shows about 150 rental options for its clientele in both NYC and Tokyo.

Even if all 150 units initially got rented by someone to facilitate Airbnb business (Very unlikely), there is no way that 150 units could change the rental market in any one large city.

So, can anyone give further info as to how Airbnb raises rental prices for average citizens in some large cities?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

There are some people who believe that Airbnb raises rental prices (for average citizens) in various cities, but I wonder where this belief comes from?

Not sure of the exact numbers today, but Airbnb shows about 150 rental options for its clientele in both NYC and Tokyo.

Even if all 150 units initially got rented by someone to facilitate Airbnb business (Very unlikely), there is no way that 150 units could change the rental market in any one large city.

So, can anyone give further info as to how Airbnb raises rental prices for average citizens in some large cities?

Yes..I agree. In factit could be argued that since owners are able to get something back on their investments in condos that otherwise would sit vacant, more development takes place, increasing the supply in relation to demand, keeping rents in check. The only real factor in Bangkok that affects rents is location, location, and location.

Personally I don't get why anyone would want to stay at an Airbnb while on holidays. I stayed once at a place where there were no hotel rooms available and the time/ location were essential to me. Didn't like it much but had no choice. Last month I stayed few days in Sydney. Had to be around CBD - no cheap hotels there, but I still preferred to pay the somewhat higher price of a hotel and have all the facilities and hotel services

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Personally I don't get why anyone would want to stay at an Airbnb while on holidays. I stayed once at a place where there were no hotel rooms available and the time/ location were essential to me. Didn't like it much but had no choice. Last month I stayed few days in Sydney. Had to be around CBD - no cheap hotels there, but I still preferred to pay the somewhat higher price of a hotel and have all the facilities and hotel services

You don’t get it but millions do. Cheaper prices, more space, kitchens, hotel services that you pay for but don’t use......

• Like 1

On 12/28/2019 at 1:49 PM, Elkski said:

Hotel owners  will be happy.

Not just hotel owners, people whose home is being turned into a club 18 30 resort will also be happy.

Why do AirBnB users seem to think they have the right to break the law because it is nice for them?

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Because with the exception of high end hotels, most provide zero facilities or services !