I just got a plastic bag in 7/11

jackdd

56 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Dont see the fuss.....our mothers all went shopping without the need for plastic bags, surely us later generations can easily adapt. It is a good step forward for Thailand but many other countries are plastic bag free already.

People will get used to it in time and make the necessary adaptions, unless they are a bit backward in seeing it for what it is.

You mean like the expats on here?

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, digibum said:

Also, explain to me how banning plastic bags, especially in Thailand where they double-bag everything, results in the bag companies selling more bags? 

I did of course mean more profit for the retailers, not for the companies producing plastic bags.

1 hour ago, brokenbone said:

me too, and they will lose me as a customer if they stop providing

the plastic bag i need to carry the cappuccino on my bike back to home

Seek an alternative method. Life is like the internet, changing every day.

1 hour ago, BKKBike09 said:

It's an easy win for supermarkets to say "ooh look, we don't provide plastic bags any more, we're doing our bit to tackle climate change" while at the same time wrapping everything in single-use plastic (nothing like seeing 'organic' imported fruit in supermarkets here wrapped in plastic, in a foam wrap, in a hard plastic punnet ...

I use supermarket bags as pedal bin rubbish bags instead of buying pedal bin rubbish bags.

Personally I would prefer that retail outlets charged say THB 1 for each single-use bag, to go to a government fund for environmental protection (yes, I know, I know, dream on etc) - something analagous to the State Oil Fund into which each litre of petrol/diesel sold makes a contribution - instead of not offering them at all, and trying to get you to buy their over-priced 'bags for life'. 

As with so much in life, not clear cut.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50579077

This is how it is done in "adult" countries. But the government doesn't siphon off the proceeds.

2 hours ago, digibum said:

If everything you buy fits into one bag and they double-bag it, the trash caused by consuming that item is unlikely to be more than one bag, which means you have one bag extra.  Multiply that by the 1 - 2 times a day people buy from 7-11 or whatever and it generates way more bags being given out than people use. 

this is not true for me.

on top of the plastic bags i get when i buy food,

i need to ask the maids for an additional 6 or so bags for the trash cans per week,

on top of the 4 extra bags they put in by default twice a week

Edited by brokenbone

4 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

this is not true for me.

i need to ask the maids for an additional 6 or so bags for the trash cans per week,

You can buy a pack of 50 shopping bags from Makro for 40b............

Oh thats right you would not shop there as they dont bag your groceries !!

18 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

this is not true for me.

I don't know what you're doing but you're generating a boatload of waste if you're taking out 10 bags of trash a week. Actually more than that because you said that was on top of the plastic bags you get when you buy food. 

Wow! 

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I don't need anyone else to presume doubt on my behalf! @Pilotman's answer was succinct and absolutely to the point. 

You can always ignore me if what I say is incompatible with your views. Please do.

Saying something doesn't make it so without supporting facts and evidence. A favored technique of the Nazi regime, if I remember rightly.

Common sense in the Middle Ages was the Earth was flat.

Srisaket Big C today. We bought our two multi use bags and moved on. I did notice the green bags but decided to buy reusable and give them to MIL/SIL and (hope) suggest they reuse them if shopping in the local talad - we do the multi use option abroad so why not give it a try? Coincidentally, we've  stopped taking seaside or island holidays in LOS, due to the flotsum issues, so maybe being part of the solution can't help?

Unfortunately, while observing the roadside while avoiding the maniacs trying to return to Bangkok, lunch in village environs and the obviously futile local rubbish control measures,  my Thai rose tinteds had darkened several shades by the time I got home ????.

Now I am drinking beer in an attempt to support the recycling industry. ????

3 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

MR DIY dropped my purchase into a bag without asking - business as usual.

What I like about Mr. D.I.Y. is that their plastic bags are absolutely huge. One carelessly discarded one could entrap a whole Galapagos Turtle.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

3 pages about plastic bags.....great innit

so far the most interesting post of 2020. wait for 10 pages like the 'pair of slippers' post and 'water from the machine' posts of years gone past. comments on both exceeded 10 pages. we still read them though !!!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, jastheace said:

so far the most interesting post of 2020. wait for 10 pages like the 'pair of slippers' post and 'water from the machine' posts of years gone past. comments on both exceeded 10 pages. we still read them though !!!

Water from my washing machine is currently watering my palm trees.... I've no slippers but will buy some if it helps the local environment.

I ordered a kilo of pork minced meat at the market and that <deleted> put it in a plastic bag!!!!!

How dare they prevent the spread of food born illnesses, it totally ruined my new year and I'm complaining to the United Nations.

The day when a customer isn't forced to mix their e-coli contaminated meats with their other foods is the day I give up shopping altogether.

Edited by metisdead
Profanity removed.

6 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

I ordered a kilo of pork minced meat at the market and that <deleted> put it in a plastic bag!!!!!

How dare they prevent the spread of food born illnesses, it totally ruined my new year and I'm complaining to the United Nations.

The day when a customer isn't forced to mix their e-coli contaminated meats with their other foods is the day I give up shopping altogether.

11 hours ago, jastheace said:

hmmmmm .... says alot about the level of intelligence on TVF

I asked my local 7-11 (off Sathorn) and the night manager said that he had been told to use the old stock of plastic bags that we’re opened already and wasn’t still in their original supplier boxes, but that a plastic bag was to be used either “up request” or “upon clear need” but that they were to suggest using a reusable cloth bag or otherwise first.

I think that’s a fair solution for the time being - but I’d think perhaps a “hard date” where bags can’t be used anymore period, would also be a good idea - so that the draw-down period can’t be too long.