My first trip to Thailand I did..

I brought all of my paper work with me, my hotel and return flight 28 days later. At immigration I wouldnt say I had a hard time but the officer asked me a lot of questions I thought were not needed. At the end he approved me and said "katoey" as I walked away. I didnt know what that meant at the time and thought it was odd and remembered it because he said it with disgust. I had flow from San Francisco CA is the only reason I today can think of him saying that. I am not gay and couldnt care less if he thought I was gay, but his disgusted tone for a government official was unprofessional. 

Anyhow my last trip I brought nothing but my Passport for Immigration, no hassle and not a lot of questions. Just here you are and on my way. 

Has anyone else noticed immigration might be easier by providing the minimal information needed?

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, glegolo said:

I dont mean to defend him saying that to you, but is it not possible that you were like walking femininly? And that might cause his stupid remark.... Do you walk like a guy??

glegolo

I'm a bigger hairy guy with no gay tendencies.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, ToYoungToRetire said:

I'm a bigger hairy guy with no gay tendencies.

Katoey for the record refers to trans "ladyboy". If a guy was gay Thai would refer to him as gay.

Anyway as others have advised never offer anything to imm officer unless requested.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

If you mean when entering the country then you should only show your passport and arrival card.

Only present anything else if asked for it.

I'd have thunk that was just common sense.

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Katoey for the record refers to trans "ladyboy". If a guy was gay Thai would refer to him as gay.

Anyway as others have advised never offer anything to imm officer unless requested.

I thought to this day it meant gay. I didnt know it was specific to LadyBoy. I certainly never dress like a trans. Just your average heterosexual USA guy.  Now that situation makes even less sense. 

9 minutes ago, SteveK said:

It's a bit like an immigration officer in the UK calling you a "poofter" - extremely unprofessional and in the UK he would have lost his job over it.

In the USA they would lose their job over it as well. A good movie about a great "Poofter" who saved millions of lives. 

Edited by ToYoungToRetire

17 minutes ago, ToYoungToRetire said:

I'm a firm believer in "Live and Let live". Which is also very Thai

No that is NOT thai, thai is "live and let live within  their own family, and screw the rest of them". THAT is thai... The family is all that matters as I have experienced at least.

glegolo

Edited by glegolo

1 hour ago, ToYoungToRetire said:

Has anyone else noticed immigration might be easier by providing the minimal information needed?

Never give any official more documents than necessary.

Because more documents might confuse them.

You can obviously carry more documents with you. But take them only out if an official asks for them.

2 hours ago, ToYoungToRetire said:

I do at with every contact i have with a thai person, speak at least as possible, ask as less as possible and you'll get the least frustrated.

Edited by fruitman
  • Like 1

They’re not he friendliest immi officers at BKK.

There were zero people in the line at fast track when I passed through the other day but I experienced the most miserable, sour old hag I have ever had to hand my passport over to in any part of the world.

I say hello in Thai. Nothing from her but a total look of disdain.

Say thank you: Nothing again.

finished with a big smile from me and thank you very much .

35 minutes ago, Creasy said:

They’re not he friendliest immi officers at BKK.

There were zero people in the line at fast track when I passed through the other day but I experienced the most miserable, sour old hag I have ever had to hand my passport over to in any part of the world.

I say hello in Thai. Nothing from her but a total look of disdain.

Say thank you: Nothing again.

finished with a big smile from me and thank you very much .

I only speak if asked questions. The less interaction you have with them the less chance of misinterpretation and problems

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ToYoungToRetire said:

How you're treated will vary from officer to officer. What paperwork you require will vary from office to office.

5 hours ago, glegolo said:

I dont mean to defend him saying that to you, but is it not possible that you were like walking femininly? And that might cause his stupid remark.... Do you walk like a guy??

glegolo

Walk like a guy?? as opposed to a woman?? oh dear