Firework death: Half a kilo of gunpowder for 400 baht - but you need to stand 50 feet away

webfact

8 hours ago, DennisE said:

Well yeah obviously you need to back away from it that’s common sense especially if you’ve ever used one of those before those things pack a huge punch. Although 400 kilos of gunpowder I could do a hell of a lot of damage with just that if I wanted to Jesus! I didn’t know it was that much but then again there’s the usual question is the article title even true? Who knows. 

400 kilo? Are you still drinking mate?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They are illegal But whether something is illegal or not has absolutely no relevance in Thailand.

It's not really a case of banning them. If that happened it would end up with no displays all over the world at New Year etc. Think of New Year without the Oooohs and Aaaahs that go with fireworks

It's the sale of these to the general public that should be enforced. 

Fireworks like these should only be used for major public displays to be used by people who actually know how to handle them. Not for me to decide who is qualified or not, that's why why we have police forces, to ensure laws passed are actually enforced. ( Won't go further on that one )

On big displays these are set of using electronic spark systems not someone with a box of matches standing next to them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, overherebc said:
5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They are illegal But whether something is illegal or not has absolutely no relevance in Thailand.

It's not really a case of banning them. If that happened it would end up with no displays all over the world at New Year etc. Think of New Year without the Oooohs and Aaaahs that go with fireworks

It's the sale of these to the general public that should be enforced. 

Fireworks like these should only be used for major public displays to be used by people who actually know how to handle them. Not for me to decide who is qualified or not, that's why why we have police forces, to ensure laws passed are actually enforced. ( Won't go further on that one )

On big displays these are set of using electronic spark systems not someone with a box of matches standing next to them.

I should have said that the sale of them is illegal. I didn't mean to suggest they should be banned from the country. But then, when you remember where we are......

• Like 1

It is no 5:45 a.m., Saturday, JAN. 4 and here in Jomtien Beach , fireworks were STILL popping off intermittently all night long. Holidayers are here for a good time and don't care what celebration has expired, or if they keep others awake all night . They just want to drink and make noise.

BTW - I watched the tragic video of Mr. McLaren ... and the fuse was still burning as he leaned over to inspect it. We all do dumb things. I live with a mangled finger to remind me of that. In this case, it was, sadly, a fatal mistake.

Regardless - a busy soi is no place to set off huge canon fireworks. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:
22 hours ago, wgdanson said:
22 hours ago, webfact said:

It had the power to explode to a distance of 100 meters and people should have been 50 feet away. 

Somebody explain this please.

It is inexplicable, and sums up Thailand perfectly. A total lack of awareness of danger, in any shape or form.

maybe refers to shock wave dissipating at a certain distance and 2nd stage slowing

22 hours ago, Momofarang said:

My kid was given a balloon, and we weren't allowed on BTS...

T.I.T

When your child was given a balloon did you ask if it was filled with "hydrogen gas" ??

Which is highly flammable!!

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 8:52 AM, wgdanson said:

Somebody explain this please.

it had the power to explode to a distance of 100 meters and people should have been 50 feet away. (Ridiculers piece of reporting 328 feet is 100 meters, illogical Spock.       

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, fhickson said:

the person and company who made this product is stupid. not the guy who lit it. get your facts straight!

I do so miss the days when (most) people took responsibility for their actions rather than try and blame it on others :coffee1:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, robblok said:

wow badge of honor too be still using plastic bags. ????

But I do agree with the general idea, that people want to remove fun just because of an accident. 

You can ban plastic bags but not dangerous fireworks (explosives) for sale to the general and sometimes irresponsible and/or drunken public.

Edited by i84teen

3 hours ago, robblok said:

He was drunk, even nice guys arent always nice when drunk. Alcohol can change a person totally. 

Just for clarity, I have it on record from my friends that were with him at the time, Gary had been drinking but, as always, he was nice right up to the moment when it didn't really matter any more.

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Just for clarity, I have it on record from my friends that were with him at the time, Gary had been drinking but, as always, he was nice right up to the moment when it didn't really matter any more.

I was talking in general, if you see a drunk doing something dangerous intervening could be dangerous. Less so if you know the guy is a good drunk. 

Sad for the guy victim of his own judgement. 

On 1/3/2020 at 9:35 AM, Lacessit said:

It was reported the fuse failed to light several times, which should have set off alarm bells. Says something about the quality standards to which these devices are manufactured.

Jasmine is the one to feel sorry for,

He turned it upside down before peering into it.  Sometimes fireworks don’t go off immediately.  Experts know this.  Putting his face within a few inches of the packed gunpowder did him in.

23 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

image.png.77eb1cc93a47a32cd99d7f1326c37b0b.png

Pretty sure that everyone has the message(s) by now, but just in case:

He was a nice bloke.

People sometimes do stupid things.

Sometimes nice blokes do stupid things.

Don't be a nice bloke who does stupid things.

How many more pages needed?

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1