UK election result 'blew away' argument for second Brexit vote: Labour's Starmer

webfact

5 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Was everyone in the EU given a vote on Brexit?

No they weren't, BUT they do have a commissioner for each country to represent them.

I don't think that is possible that the EU commissioners have the power to prevent a country from leaving the EU.

Not every Scot was given the right to vote on Indy 1 either unless they were living in Scotland which to me seems very unfair. At least for Brexit ALL eligible voters had the opportunity to vote or not, including UK voters who were living abroad provided the were registered to vote.

In the UK case it is that the UK is the EU member and NOT the individual countries separately. AFAIK Scotland will have to leave the UK and meet all the requirements for EU membership then apply as a separate country which they cannot do at this time as they are still part of the UK.

In a similar situation if Catalonia wants to become an EU member it has to leave Spain first.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Here we go again. Bill is stating that the rest of the UK should get to vote in any Scottish independence referendum.

Once again I point out the hypocrisy in demanding this when Brexiteers would have had a mass collective hissy fit if the same rule had been applied for leaving the EU.

Perhaps Bill is thinking,that should all of the people of the UK take part in such a vote, then there would be much more likely hood of Scotland being kicked out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

So maybe you know the answer to the question that I have posed many times on these threads, but never received a satisfactory reply - if Scotland is a drain on England's resources, why would a country that happily allows ex servicemen to live and die on the streets, hang on to an ungrateful and unsupportive people who do nothing but agitate against them?

Due to the fact the last time the Scots voted on this issue, 55% of them voted to remain in the UK

If the vote were to go to 50.1% to leave. Then you would notice that the rest of the UK would be only too happy to see their departure, they certainly would not do a EU and try to keep you in prison.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 2:12 AM, sandyf said:

Exactly. Bojo and his merry brexiteers think that 43% is an overwhelming mandate for brexit. Scared stiff of the result of a second referendum he manipulated the result he was after on anti Corbyn sentiment.

Blair manipulated the UK into bed with the US and look what happened. Scotland has a right to self determination and would be right to reject being ruled by a UK/US administration.

What happened during your many years living in England, to make you think as you do?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Sandy, I did not say this was fake but I am saying that it is the type of threat that is typical of the EU.  

Your added links refer to Scottish independence, not these EU threats.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

So maybe you know the answer to the question that I have posed many times on these threads, but never received a satisfactory reply - if Scotland is a drain on England's resources, why would a country that happily allows ex servicemen to live and die on the streets, hang on to an ungrateful and unsupportive people who do nothing but agitate against them?

If you want a satisfactory reply, ask a satisfactory question.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tiger1980 said:

What happened during your many years living in England, to make you think as you do?

As I left England in 2008 the answer would be nothing.

I agreed with David Cameron that Scotland's best interest would be served as part of the UK and the EU. Turned out it was all lies and he was already plotting to stab Scotland in the back.

Alex Salmond's white paper had more holes than a bar of Aero and the 2014 result was the right one at the time.

Given the current circumstances the Scottish government have every right to put a new plan to the people of Scotland, the result may well be the same but it is for the people to decide. no one else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

Sandy, I did not say this was fake but I am saying that it is the type of threat that is typical of the EU.  

Your added links refer to Scottish independence, not these EU threats.

I never said you said it was fake - "will always be project fear or fake news."

Confirmation lies in what you said?

"I suppose we can expect the EU to continue with Project Fear"

The links were just fodder for further confirmation.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I never said you said it was fake - "will always be project fear or fake news."

Confirmation lies in what you said?

"I suppose we can expect the EU to continue with Project Fear"

The links were just fodder for further confirmation.

All confusing, as usual. Enjoy your meal. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Here we go again. Bill is stating that the rest of the UK should get to vote in any Scottish independence referendum.

Once again I point out the hypocrisy in demanding this when Brexiteers would have had a mass collective hissy fit if the same rule had been applied for leaving the EU.

Don,t worry mate if you do get your independence,rest assured the eu will all have vote on your bid to remain before it gets the Spanish archer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, billd766 said:

In the UK case it is that the UK is the EU member and NOT the individual countries separately. AFAIK Scotland will have to leave the UK and meet all the requirements for EU membership then apply as a separate country which they cannot do at this time as they are still part of the UK.

In a similar situation if Catalonia wants to become an EU member it has to leave Spain first.

The last point is why the eu would never vote for it if Scotland should get their independence.

Edited by kingdong

9 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

There's nowt as queer as folks.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 9:33 PM, bannork said:

The UK wants to leave the group and expects to be treated the same as members?

Better get rid of that superiority complex fast.

Those of us that were exporting to Europe before the single market actually saw firsthand the benefits of "frictionless trade".

What is that voice in the distance? "This is not what we voted for."

The reality is bad news for UK industries like car manufacturers and supermarkets, which rely on moving parts and goods quickly across the channel without bureaucracy and time-consuming checks.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-brexit-trade-deal-eu-leave-talks-a9282206.html

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Those of us that were exporting to Europe before the single market actually saw firsthand the benefits of "frictionless trade".

What is that voice in the distance? "This is not what we voted for."

The reality is bad news for UK industries like car manufacturers and supermarkets, which rely on moving parts and goods quickly across the channel without bureaucracy and time-consuming checks.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-brexit-trade-deal-eu-leave-talks-a9282206.html

yes, bad news,

worse news will come when foggy islands start to deviate from EU production/health/safety standards in order

to secure trade deals with the US (and others)

(short sightedness always win)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

yes, bad news,

worse news will come when foggy islands start to deviate from EU production/health/safety standards in order

to secure trade deals with the US (and others)

(short sightedness always win)

Quite, brexit blindness hid the slippery slope.

Even the government acknowledged it would be downhill.

The government’s own internal analysis, leaked during the general election campaign, said there would be checks on goods in both directions between the two parts of the UK. 

It also said there would be a devastating impact on the Northern Irish economy and claimed 98 per cent of Northern Ireland export businesses would be “likely to struggle to bear this cost” of customs declarations and documentary and physical checks on goods within the UK.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-deal-border-check-boris-johnson-uk-eu-barnier-northern-ireland-goods-a9283686.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1