Looking for a good Air filter for the house

samuttodd

45 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I have this one: https://s.lazada.co.th/s.0cD2L and it covers you area. The auto mode is not that good but it works fine at a fixed speed. There is a cheaper version available if you don't mind a Chinese interface. The filter last about 5 months with 24h usage and cost 750 baht: https://s.lazada.co.th/s.0X1B3

The Xiaomi Pro is a generally well-regarded unit for larger living spaces that has gotten good reviews here from folks who have bought it.

2 minutes ago, samuttodd said:

Well,    I appreciate everybody's information.    Some great ideas here.

Since I'd rather save my money for other things, and i like a good DIY  project,   I am going to buy a box fan and push the air through a hepa filter sealed to the front of the fan with good sturdy tape.

It should work and It will give me something to occupy my time.

I would place on back of fan and draw the air through the HEPA filter - that is how they are designed.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, samuttodd said:

Since I'd rather save my money for other things, and i like a good DIY  project,   I am going to buy a box fan and push the air through a hepa filter sealed to the front of the fan with good sturdy tape.

You can do that, and others have. But the issue you have to deal with in that kind of a DIY project is one of air resistance... The fan tends to blow air up against the HEPA filter and the air tends to bounce off or to the sides, because the whole thing is not a sealed system.  That, and, it's hard to find box fans here in Thailand with a large enough fan size and torque to be very efficient.

33 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I have no idea about the electric bill since electricity is almost free compared to my home country. I don't have a hand held quality meter but these guy tested it: https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/xiaomi-auto-mode-leaves-air-unsafe-86-hours/ 

That article you linked so above involves the original Mi 2 purifier, not the 2S or the Pro models. They changed their design on the later 2S and Pro models that supposedly avoid the flaws / weak performance on the original 2 model.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That article you linked so above involves the original Mi 2 purifier, not the 2S or the Pro models. They changed their design on the later 2S and Pro models that supposedly avoid the flaws / weak performance on the original 2 model.

The test show that the fan and the filter were fine but after 3 hours at fixed speed it reverted back to auto mode. Like you said this issue has been fixed. The auto mode is not very good even on the pro because it let the air quality degrade way too much before the fan speed increase. I leave it at a fixed speed instead and it works fine. 

42 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That mesh is a dust filter and will become mostly blocked within a few weeks if not cleaned and AC air flow severely restricted and huge extra electric expense to keep running.  Not to mention the mold/mildew/such you will be circulating into your breathing air.  Clean those filters.

Hand on heart I inspect them every time I change the filtrette which in burning season can be every two weeks, never once have they ever needed cleaning. But there again, we leave filtrette attached to the filters year round.

Edited by saengd

5 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

The test show that the fan and the filter were fine but after 3 hours at fixed speed it reverted back to auto mode. Like you said this issue has been fixed. The auto mode is not very good even on the pro because it let the air quality degrade way too much before the fan speed increase. I leave it at a fixed speed instead and it works fine. 

The article also states that the particle sensor doesn't work properly, how's your experience with that? It's not a critical but still interesting feature. My dumb Hatari purifier doesn't show anything at all ????

12 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

The article also states that the particle sensor doesn't work properly, how's your experience with that? It's not a critical but still interesting feature. My dumb Hatari purifier doesn't show anything at all ????

It's not the same sensor on the older xiaomi air filter that was tested. The newer model use a laser sensor. I don't have a way to test it but it seems to work fine. Sometimes all the windows are closed and I see the reading go up then I look outside and I see the neighbours is burning coal or wood. I've seen it shut up as high as 200+ when the window was open and smoke was coming in. However since the auto mode doesn't work very well the sensor is almost useless. I did use it to find the lowest fixed fan speed to keep the reading below 10.

Edited by Tayaout

11 minutes ago, saengd said:

Hand on heart I inspect them every time I change the filtrette which in burning season can be every two weeks, never once have they ever needed cleaning. But there again, we leave filtrette attached to the filters year round.

????  Indeed that is why the filter is clean - the filtrete blocks the dust.  But as said you should not cover the filter completely if you allow the filtrete to get dirty before changing as it quickly blocks airflow which in turn will require more electric cooling power. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samuttodd said:

Totally.  Go DIY.  Health be damned.

While you’re at it, stop wasting money on all that fancy store/water machine water too.  Tap water run through a t-shirt works just fine.

• Haha 1

I have the Xiaomi Mi Air Purifier 2S, bought it on Black Friday for just about 3000THB, regular price seems to be about 3300THB.

It's working ok, the auto mode could sometimes run the fan a bit faster, occasionly the PM2.5 goes above 20.

I also have the portable Xiaomi PM2.5 device, the measurements from both devices are quite similar.

Edited by jackdd

15 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Almost forgot to show this DIY that use a xiaomi filter: https://s.lazada.co.th/s.0X2y6

I would be very cautious buying improvised units after having serious fire start from overheating fan in a cheap plastic black hole type mosquito trap.  If plastic is the normal cheap stuff used for Chinese low price it can burn all too easily.  Have also had several of the cheap extension type outlets burn.   

20 hours ago, saengd said:

Maybe in your house but not in ours, plus Mitsubishi service first suggested the idea to us a few years ago. 

Works fine and keeps units cleaner for triple the time. Recommend by Daikin installation GUYS. Still have a very expensive Amway aircleaner for bedroom, too. Terrible pollution. MS>

• Like 1

I am thinking about running a 20inch box fan feed fed by 2 20x20x1 hepa filters in a sealed intake. (like the replaceable kind they make for home furnaces from Lowes/ace hardware.)

My question is this:   because the volume of air is decreased by the resistance of the filter media,  wouldn't I be better off running twice as much surface area by using 2 of the 20x20x1 replaceable filters taped into a sealed interface box, rather than one?

My gut tells me that this would be the case,  although I lack the physics background to prove it.

What do you think?
Edited by samuttodd

6 minutes ago, samuttodd said:
(like the replaceable kind they make for home furnaces from Lowes/ace hardware.)

Those kinds of filters you're specifically describing above typically are not true HEPA filters, nor are they meant/designed to filter out PM2.5.

Plus, I looked all around here, and never could find a 20 inch box fan with a flat front surface that would have enough torque/power to do well as a DIY purifier.

I am thinking that a blower that uses a centrifugal type fan will give a better pressure differential..   The filter media comes in different types... Of course the tighter the media the smaller the particles it can filter out,  but then the lower the volume of air that the fan can suck through it.

Since that is the case,   I am probably going to take a couple of 20x20x1 replaceable 3m filters that allow for decent air flow through I will tape them into a box  (I>)  The filters would be represented by the (>)  so It would double the surface area of the filtering surface and allow twice the throughput as opposed to a (II) Configuration.

Listen, you can pay any price you want to for just about everything, but you don't have to pay that much.

Xiaomi is under $100 USD, delivered straight to your door.

https://pages.lazada.co.th/wow/i/th/marketing/mkt_lp_v5?trigger_item=575826281&campaign_id=0&venture=th&sku_id=1062932504&wh_skucount=1&entrance=mktlp&exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1498579383!58089999096!!!pla-814718130886!m!814718130886!1062932504!128536045&gclid=CjwKCAiA3uDwBRBFEiwA1VsajOp5YeYXuuyfR-3h_iNOzBwwPyUjlLg9HU1uWlgCERlDNLVuO--d9BoCqJsQAvD_BwE

I bought two when Xiaomi had a kiosk here in BIg C last year, but they're gone now.

Helps quite a big.  Three modes: High, Regular and Low (for sleeping).

You can also hook it up to your home WiFi, but I don't advise that because letting an IoT device on your router is a security risk (easy for hackers to hack your router).

2 hours ago, samuttodd said:
I am thinking about running a 20inch box fan feed fed by 2 20x20x1 hepa filters in a sealed intake. (like the replaceable kind they make for home furnaces from Lowes/ace hardware.)

My question is this:   because the volume of air is decreased by the resistance of the filter media,  wouldn't I be better off running twice as much surface area by using 2 of the 20x20x1 replaceable filters taped into a sealed interface box, rather than one?

My gut tells me that this would be the case,  although I lack the physics background to prove it.

What do you think?

These kind of filter are used to purify air in hospital and to remove cannabis smell from indoor farm: https://s.lazada.co.th/s.0X9j1

They need this kind of blower (I did not check if it's the correct diameter): https://s.lazada.co.th/s.0XUJb

You can add a filterete around the filter. 

The fan can sit directly on the filter and then you are done. The activated charcoal need to be replaced after 1-3 years (better find a hydroponic store in you area if any) or you simply replace the whole filter.

I'm pretty sure it would beat most air purifier because of the volume of air it can displace. The downside is that it can be noisy but you could add a dimmer to slow down the fan and the more expensive fan are less noisy. 

I'm not sure it's the perfect solution for your case but I'm throwing the idea. You will need to do your own reasearh to find the correct carbon filter and duct fan for your situation. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 2

If it is going to cost that much,   I think I'll buy a box fan and fit a hepa filter to it's face.  

Have not done this but saw it USA, 20 inch box fan with 4 each 20x20 hepa filters duct taped to it making a cube.2 sides one top one back bottom resting on floor. That allows air intake from a lot larger area. Thought it was a very good idea. Just as a mechanic type thought dude this will work.... Soon as I find a permanent residence will advise how well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tf6122 said:

Have had for one year, works well for us if limited opening of doors and windows.   ฿3,699.00 -46% | AUGIENB Air Purifier/Cleaner/Freshener Air Detector 5 Stage HEPA Filter 325m3/h CADR 99.97% Sterilization Rate Remove Odor/ Dust / Pet Dander / Smog / Anti Allergies Reduce PM2.5 | | https://s.lazada.co.th/s.0Xe8C

I've never heard of that brand before in terms of air purifiers. The purifier itself looks like a model of another company's unit that I've seen before, so perhaps it's a rebranded OEM product. But the seller on Lazada seems to be selling it with no manufacturer warranty whatsoever.

5 hours ago, Tayaout said:

These kind of filter are used to purify air in hospital and to remove cannabis smell from indoor farm: https://s.lazada.co.th/s.0X9j1

The product you've linked to is not a HEPA class filter, and from reading its info, likely would not do much to deal with PM2.5 pollution. It would, however. deal with odors if that was someone's objective.

The kind of material they're using is typically the kind of material that HEPA air purifiers use for a separate PRE-filter, to catch the larger particles before they get to (and begin to clog up) the HEPA filter.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I made my own using Filtrete sheets on a discarded dual AC blower I bought in Chinatown for a few hundred baht.  As a bonus, the entire system fit under my bed so it took up no space, was pretty quiet, and eliminated the dust bunnies under the bed.

I did this after giving up trying to find a flat sided box fan of any size.  There's always a dozen or so AC blower units for sale in any street market.

I'm not claiming it got rid of PM2.5, but it sure did reduce the amount of dusting I needed to do, and probably the speed at which my HEPA filter plugged up.

On 1/10/2020 at 10:11 AM, Elkski said:

Should invest in a particle counter too so you can verify th ed air in your room.  Sire filter material would  hwlf but a HEPA filter is special.  

Also you need to hire someone to clean your aircon filter monthly. 

I clean mine twice a month and only takes a few minutes.

15 hours ago, impulse said:

I made my own using Filtrete sheets on a discarded dual AC blower I bought in Chinatown for a few hundred baht.  As a bonus, the entire system fit under my bed so it took up no space, was pretty quiet, and eliminated the dust bunnies under the bed.

I did this after giving up trying to find a flat sided box fan of any size.  There's always a dozen or so AC blower units for sale in any street market.

I'm not claiming it got rid of PM2.5, but it sure did reduce the amount of dusting I needed to do, and probably the speed at which my HEPA filter plugged up.

Man you ain't kidding...  I haven't been able to find any box fan larger than a 9 incher with a flat face and flat back.

I can't even find any ac/furnace replaceent filters.     Every place I go,   I show the picture of the Box fan and the replacement filter and get the same response.     A confused look and the standard "Memi"  

So I bought a couple rolls of filtrete 2.5 Micron filter to put in the ac feed.    Who knows,  that might do the trick.