Fuel

peterpeter

Hi All,

I have a Toyota Hilux Vigo 2008 could some one tell me  which Diesel fuel type they use or

have used in this type of truck.

I have to say all the different gas oils at my local Shell have left me confused.

Thank you Peter

Any standard diesel. None of the fancy new stuff. IE any fuel pump in a garage that dishes out plain diesel. Or you could use a premium grade. Shell V power and the likes but you would be spending more than is needed.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Having worked in the Petrochemical Industry for shell, Shell v actually works you get more mileage to the gallon and its a higher octane it burns easier.

Just curious?   outside of Diesel, is there a reason Shell particularly in Pattaya charges 5 baht more for 95 than the other filling stations? Is there something special about it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

is there a reason Shell particularly in Pattaya

If that is specific to the Shell station on Pattaya Tai then presume because of location. 

That and previous reports of scams there are reason enough for me never to use them.

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Just curious?   outside of Diesel, is there a reason Shell particularly in Pattaya charges 5 baht more for 95 than the other filling stations? Is there something special about it?

I was curious also.

Its 95 Gasohol.

The Shell on Pattaya Tai has closed off their 91 bowser for Motorbikes, I reckon they must be doing this as it is more profitable.

It's disappointing as it is my closest Petrol Station, been using it since 2002.

Back then it was a regular event to fill your tank without zeroing the bowser, geeze they go me many times.

A 2008 should be able to take on the new biodiesel. The big companies such as statoil and shell are using up to 20% additives. Those additives would clog up your diesel filter and the reason they are more expensive also. The downside is that you are the one paying for that <deleted>ty additive that also makes your car more slow. So the more cheaper prices you find the less chance that therws any additive in it which means more power to your car. Now this about additives is in Europe but since I never had a diesel in Thailand I never looked into it more closely

Edited by sead
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, sead said:

A 2008 should be able to take on the new biodiesel. The big companies such as statoil and shell are using up to 20% additives. Those additives would clog up your diesel filter and the reason they are more expensive also. The downside is that you are the one paying for that <deleted>ty additive that also makes your car more slow. So the more cheaper prices you find the less chance that therws any additive in it which means more power to your car. Now this about additives is in Europe but since I never had a diesel in Thailand I never looked into it more closely

Given how expensive it is to rebuild an engine or replace a fuel system I certainly would not be using anything "bio" based on a  should.

• Like 1

I only use Shell V-power in my 2008 3.0L Vigo.  When I first got the truck I would use regular diesel for a few tanks and record the mileage, then use V-power for a few tanks.  I found that the V-power gave more mileage per baht.  Close to 400k on that truck and I've never... ever had a problem.

A long time ago a gear head told me the best thing for your engine is to use the same gas every time.  If you use PTT fuel, you should ALWAYS use PTT.  if you use Shell, you should Always use shell.  He said the different additives used by different companies can cause issues.  Not sure it's true but it couldn't hurt.

10 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Having worked in the Petrochemical Industry for shell, Shell v actually works you get more mileage to the gallon and its a higher octane

What job you had there, janitor? 

Diesel have cetane rating but never octane rating ????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, action said:

A long time ago a gear head told me the best thing for your engine is to use the same gas every time.  If you use PTT fuel, you should ALWAYS use PTT.  if you use Shell, you should Always use shell.  He said the different additives used by different companies can cause issues.  Not sure it's true but it couldn't hurt.

"Not sure it's true but it couldn't hurt".

...unless the fuel you're using all the time has "those additives that can cause issues"!

2 hours ago, CH1961 said:

What job you had there, janitor? 

Diesel have cetane rating but never octane rating ????

Seems Wiki doesn't agree with you, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

"In contrast, fuels with lower octane numbers (but higher cetane numbers) are ideal for diesel engines, "

Edited by stevenl

3 hours ago, sead said:

A 2008 should be able to take on the new biodiesel. The big companies such as statoil and shell are using up to 20% additives

?

Your post is very confusing.

If you refer to subsidized B20 diesel then the term "additive" is a bit confusing.

It's 20% of palm oil. So fuel not additive.

Standard diesel varies from about 4% to 7% by the season.

Most expensive "Premium Diesel" has no palm oil added.

No need for premium with a usual Diesel pickup.

On the other hand, use B20 only if manufacturer/dealer confirms it is acceptable. I can't tell about a 2008 pickup.

Edited by KhunBENQ

7 hours ago, topt said:

If that is specific to the Shell station on Pattaya Tai then presume because of location. 

That and previous reports of scams there are reason enough for me never to use them.

I first heard of it in regards to the one on Pattaya Tai, to be clear I never buy 95,  I've since seen the Shell on Sukhumvit just past Pattaya Nua, and specifically the Shell on the Darkside down Soi Siam Country but charging above what the others are charging.

7 hours ago, jimn said:
9 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Because they want you to shell out more money for it.

Shell... worldwide; always charge more for all their fuels, than their neighbouring opponents 

21 hours ago, transam said:

PS. If I had lived near a Shell station I would have used the V-Power 24/7..

Yes unfortunately there are so few Shell stations around, at least in the area where our house is. I would use it all the time as well when I'm there. Not sure what my wife puts in, just standard diesel I think. Still, even if you use VPower say one tank in four, that is still beneficial.

Edited by Tuvoc

16 hours ago, stevenl said:

Seems Wiki doesn't agree with you, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

"In contrast, fuels with lower octane numbers (but higher cetane numbers) are ideal for diesel engines, "

You need to familiarise your self with the differences of cetane and Octane then you understand why Octane ratings are irrelevant with diesel fuel.

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2020 at 8:08 AM, thailand49 said:

There are two different types of 95. One contains ethanol, the other is straight hydrocarbon. All fuel manufacturers selling the hydrocarbon type charge more for it.

25 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There are two different types of 95. One contains ethanol, the other is straight hydrocarbon. All fuel manufacturers selling the hydrocarbon type charge more for it.

Nope, he is not asking about Benzine,

the question is about 95 ethanol.

SHELL V-POWER GASOHOL 95

Is 5 baht more expensive

6 minutes ago, VYCM said:

SHELL V-POWER GASOHOL 95

Is 5 baht more expensive

"Gasohol" means it contains ethanol which can be 10% or 20%, not sure if that creates a price difference.

As far as I am aware only Thailand and Canada have widespread use of this type of fuel. The idea being that it keeps the engine clean by effectively wearing the metal away.

I have a petrol strimmer and the warranty prohibits the use of fuel with a higher than 5% ethanol content. I use Benzine, it is more expensive and becoming difficult to find.

35 minutes ago, VYCM said:
1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

SHELL V-POWER GASOHOL 95

Is 5 baht more expensive

22 minutes ago, sandyf said:
35 minutes ago, VYCM said:

SHELL V-POWER GASOHOL 95

Is 5 baht more expensive

"Gasohol" means it contains ethanol which can be 10% or 20%, not sure if that creates a price difference.

As far as I am aware only Thailand and Canada have widespread use of this type of fuel. The idea being that it keeps the engine clean by effectively wearing the metal away.

I have a petrol strimmer and the warranty prohibits the use of fuel with a higher than 5% ethanol content. I use Benzine, it is more expensive and becoming difficult to find.

I know what Gasohol means, also its uses and when and where not to use.

Can you answer the question? - Why is gasohol at the Shell petrol stations selling 95 Gasohol (ethanol) for 5 baht more expensive?

Let’s keep focused, no need for info regarding Canada, petrol strimmer / warrantee or other issues.

Hi All,

Well I did not expect my question to bring up such a diverse amount

of questions and answers Thank you all very much for joining in and forgive me

if I still seem a little confused some say Shell V power others the basic diesel

some say V power good for engine others just paying for additives a waste

If I go for Shell Fuel Save Diesel: 27:89 am I in the right ball park?  

https://www.shell.co.th/en_th/motorists/shell-fuels/shell-fuel-prices.html