UK Pensions and related info

• 1 month later...
On 9/26/2023 at 10:09 AM, Madgee said:

A question for those who receive their state pension directly to a Thai bank:
It specifies that it is received in the local currency and the amount can vary depending on the current exchange rate so is the exchange rate competitive?
If so does the receiving bank make any charges? 

I am due the full UK state pension after April 2024 so will be entitled to the next increase in April. I still have a UK bank acct which it could be paid into but considering changing my financial requirements for retirement extension from 800k in a Thai bank to the combination method as it would be simple if my pension is directly paid to Thailand, thus releasing capital to use without further international transfers from the UK where it earns much more interest.

Just food for thought!

Before anyone chimes in about future pension increases etc. I have no UK address. 
Although I fully support that pension increases should apply regardless where a person resides, I have no intension of committing fraud.  

But the UK government is committing fraud, what's for the goose is for the gander.

• Confused 1

On 9/26/2023 at 10:09 AM, Madgee said:

A question for those who receive their state pension directly to a Thai bank:
It specifies that it is received in the local currency and the amount can vary depending on the current exchange rate so is the exchange rate competitive?
If so does the receiving bank make any charges? 

I am due the full UK state pension after April 2024 so will be entitled to the next increase in April. I still have a UK bank acct which it could be paid into but considering changing my financial requirements for retirement extension from 800k in a Thai bank to the combination method as it would be simple if my pension is directly paid to Thailand, thus releasing capital to use without further international transfers from the UK where it earns much more interest.

Just food for thought!

Before anyone chimes in about future pension increases etc. I have no UK address. 
Although I fully support that pension increases should apply regardless where a person resides, I have no intension of committing fraud.  

I receive my UK pension here in Thailand, it's deposited directly into my Bangkok Bank account. It's a reliable and punctual transfer, there are never delays or issues. The rate is nearly always very close to the current TT rate and I doubt I could better it, unless I put a lot of effort into rate watching and making WISE transfers etc, effort I'm not interested in expending. It takes away a lot of concern about ex rates and the timing of transfers, over time they will balance out, mostly it means I can budget my expenses with ease and certainty.

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

I receive my UK pension here in Thailand, it's deposited directly into my Bangkok Bank account. It's a reliable and punctual transfer, there are never delays or issues. 

Far be it for me to differ, but I also have my company pension paid directly to my Thai bank accountant and have done so for the past 14 years.  Now, my company pension is paid on the 1st of each month.  Now if the 1st falls on a Thursday or Friday I won't receive the payment until the Monday or Tuesday.  They take 3 working days to get the money to my bank account.   Then of course you have all the holiday days here in Thailand that will delay the payment, sometimes I don't get the payment until the 6th or 7th of the month.  Then of course, as Citibank make the payments, I have to check the USA holidays because that will delay things as well.  So the odd time there isn't a holiday in Thailand, the UK or America my pension arrives on time.

1 hour ago, essexman said:

Far be it for me to differ, but I also have my company pension paid directly to my Thai bank accountant and have done so for the past 14 years.  Now, my company pension is paid on the 1st of each month.  Now if the 1st falls on a Thursday or Friday I won't receive the payment until the Monday or Tuesday.  They take 3 working days to get the money to my bank account.   Then of course you have all the holiday days here in Thailand that will delay the payment, sometimes I don't get the payment until the 6th or 7th of the month.  Then of course, as Citibank make the payments, I have to check the USA holidays because that will delay things as well.  So the odd time there isn't a holiday in Thailand, the UK or America my pension arrives on time.

You are not differing at all, I was referring to the UK State Pension which is what the op enquired about, you are talking about something else entirely, private  company pensions. I think the difference between the two types is that UK private pension transfers will involve mostly UK banks, the State Pension transfers are in the hands of the likes of Worldpay or Citibank.

9 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

But the UK government is committing fraud, what's for the goose is for the gander.

But legalised fraud, though, unfortunately, if that's not too much of an oxymoron. What particularly gets my goat is that, not content with freezing our state pensions, HMG then goes and adds insult to injury by tax-coding some of us as if we were in receipt of the full current triple-lock whack! And, if that was not bad enough, HMG then goes and rubs further salt into our wounds every couple of years or so by subjecting us to the life certificate witnessing process in just about the most cumbersomely bureaucratic, awkward and antediluvian manner imaginable to Man in the 3rd decade of the 21st Century!!

Edited by OJAS
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2023 at 4:57 PM, proton said:

Any article on it usually has pics of a tanned couple sipping cocktails or walking on a. sun drenched beach, resentment and envy baiting to anyone stuck at home in the the UK.

Particularly if these pics had been snapped in the Philippines where triple-lock increases are paid in full! 

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

But legalised fraud, though, unfortunately, if that's not too much of an oxymoron. What particularly gets my goat is that, not content with freezing our state pensions, HMG then goes and adds insult to injury by tax-coding some of us as if we were in receipt of the full current triple-lock whack! And, if that was not bad enough, HMG then goes and rubs further salt into our wounds every couple of years or so by subjecting us to the life certificate witnessing process in just about the most cumbersomely bureaucratic, awkward and antediluvian manner imaginable to Man in the 3rd decade of the 21st Century!!

With my French pension I have to supply a Life Certificate annually.

20 hours ago, lelapin said:

With my French pension I have to supply a Life Certificate annually.

But does your French pension provider specifically require life certificates to be witnessed by someone "of suitable social standing" as is the case for the British State Pension? Or are they more easy-going as to who can perform the witnessing function?

43 minutes ago, OJAS said:

But does your French pension provider specifically require life certificates to be witnessed by someone "of suitable social standing" as is the case for the British State Pension? Or are they more easy-going as to who can perform the witnessing function?

The Uk list for life certificates is the same as counter signing passports.

IMG_1754.jpeg

IMG_1755.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

I have it done by a consul in Pattaya and it goes on to a data base so can be accessed by private pension providers and also the government. My UK one I have done by my bank for 100 baht.

29 minutes ago, nausea said:

Got caught on the hop earlier this year, with the UK State Pension Life Certificate saga, so just to confirm, these are sent every two years c. January time, right?

I believe it is hit and miss of when and the frequency of Life Certificates are sent out. Everyone I talk to seem to just get them at random.

Even from the government web site it only states, “you may get a life certificate form”.

It would make it a lot easier for everyone if there was a set timetable and it was also possible to receive by email.

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad/report-a-change-in-your-circumstances#:~:text=You may get a 'life,passport from any specific country.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

I believe it is hit and miss of when and the frequency of Life Certificates are sent out. Everyone I talk to seem to just get them at random.

Even from the government web site it only states, “you may get a life certificate form”.

It would make it a lot easier for everyone if there was a set timetable and it was also possible to receive by email.

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad/report-a-change-in-your-circumstances#:~:text=You may get a 'life,passport from any specific country.

Certainty and routine is exactly what they are trying to avoid, that way it's more difficult to put in place a routine that will defraud the system. If you don't know when or if you're going to receive one, you can't prepare in advance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Certainty and routine is exactly what they are trying to avoid, that way it's more difficult to put in place a routine that will defraud the system. If you don't know when or if you're going to receive one, you can't prepare in advance.

No problem with that, but think they should email the notifications, not just use the post system. Know a few people who had problems because of the form going missing in the post.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

I was prepared for the last two. 

When and if they turn up I simply go to the hospital and get the doctor to sign and stamp it. Who better to certify that I am still alive, but a doctor Sometimes I get a second opinion if another doctor passes by his room.

It costs about 50 or 100 baht.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, billd766 said:

I was prepared for the last two. 

When and if they turn up I simply go to the hospital and get the doctor to sign and stamp it. Who better to certify that I am still alive, but a doctor Sometimes I get a second opinion if another doctor passes by his room.

It costs about 50 or 100 baht.

You don't need to bother a doctor (although it is always good to get a second opinion that you are still alive! :smile:)

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5d1dc20540f0b609da30d3e1/5_Life_Certificate_Witness_Options.pdf

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, essexman said:

I don't mind filling out the life certificate, what I do mind is the eighteen weeks it too to arrive from the UK.

If it arrives at all, and the first thing you know about it is when your pension doesn't arrive this month.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/25/2023 at 10:22 AM, Georgealbert said:

The Uk list for life certificates is the same as counter signing passports.

IMG_1754.jpeg

IMG_1755.jpeg

Except in one crucial regard as far as we are concerned: Thai nationals are not permitted to countersign UK passport applications even if they come under one of the recognised professions.

On 12/2/2023 at 8:16 PM, lungbing said:

If it arrives at all, and the first thing you know about it is when your pension doesn't arrive this month.

Does it really matter if a pension is delayed? If you're living that close to the edge, maybe you should be living in your home country.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/30/2023 at 6:35 AM, Georgealbert said:

No problem with that, but think they should email the notifications, not just use the post system. Know a few people who had problems because of the form going missing in the post.

And equally allow us to return witnessed certificates by email as my occupational pension provider does, for instance.

• Agree 1

On 11/30/2023 at 4:55 AM, nausea said:

Got caught on the hop earlier this year, with the UK State Pension Life Certificate saga, so just to confirm, these are sent every two years c. January time, right?

The last 3 exercises were commissioned in August 2018, August 2020 and January 2023. Make of that what you can!