Debt crisis with girlfriend

17 minutes ago, genericptr said:

I want to move back to the US also and thought about bringing her but I really don't trust her with money. Was that a good experience for her? I can't shake the feeling my girlfriend would be bored and miserable since she can't speak English well and could only secure a low paying job or driving Uber etc...

My wife even as a teenager was eager to "go inter(national)" as the Thais spoke of it then.  She had majored in English in college, even though she was far from fluent.  She succeeded in America, because she had a strong drive to succeed and worked very hard.  The first year she studied in an intensive English course 20 hours/week after which she could pass the TOEFL.  Within the first six months she was fluent in spoken English.

Then she enrolled in an American university to pursue her professional field. After graduation she worked for years in her professional field of expertise successfully.  Very few Thais from the culture of poverty have been capable of doing that.  None of her peers, despite their open envy of her, would have been successful.  If the above does not sound like a description of your girlfriend then you should forget the idea of bringing her to the US.  

Edited by cmarshall

If you’re anything like me you will be as worried about the lies as you are about the debt. 

Trouble is even when the debt is eventually cleared, the lies rarely end. It seems to be engrained in Thai culture and a lot stems from this face bull. 

Only you know what you’re true feelings are for her, but you seem a decent guy and by your own admission a few months of it is taking its toll. Wait until you hear the rest, because there is more for sure as her account doesnt add up ( no pun intended). 

The deal breaker for me would be the new car. Face > self help = Bye bye 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

thais dont care a flying, ***, i lent a close friend 100,000 with signed contracts, i even seen a contract from her that she would get 70,000 back within one month,(April 2019) ok i was thinking, no problem as she lets rooms out at 10,000 a month, well that was 9 months ago, and about 9 excuses. i sell land, i ask my sister, i ask my son, i sell up, going to visit to day, i wonder what the excuse will be this time, i was told it would cost me more than 100,000 to get my money back, even with a court order in my favour, they still not pay, its a bloody joke in this country, with their stupid defamation laws,

Do not even consider a lawyer. Use social media if possible. Shame, embarrassment and humiliation are very powerful tools here. Use them. Use them wisely. And keep up the pressure. I had a guy who tried to take me for around $2,500. After a few months, I started really hassling him. Calling him nonstop, contacting his wife and family, emailing him daily, and I stayed on him like white on rice.

After a year of dogged pursuit, he paid me back in full. And he told me he did so only because I would not leave him alone. He told me he needed to get his life back, so he ripped someone else off, and paid me. 

So do not give up. And stop up the pressure in a dramatic fashion. Embarrass her to no end.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Trouble is even when the debt is eventually cleared, the lies rarely end. It seems to be engrained in Thai culture and a lot stems from this face bull. 

If you crossed out 'Thai', and inserted 'female', I'd agree with you.

I've never met a woman who wouldn't lie to make herself look better, or get some money out of a guy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

It's an old saw of sociology that how people plan for the future depends on their level of income.  Poor people struggle to live day by day and lack the resources to do effective planning for the future. 

Are you including the Chinese in this wildly generalised theory?

14 hours ago, genericptr said:

That's what it feels like. I already sent her 6000/month for that last 6 months or so and paid her insurance which was 18k. My fear is that I've unlocked something in her brain and now it's going to be sick Dad next month and then sick buffalo the month after that.

Again she's never had a history of this but it's so suspicious. It feels like giving her money is making her money problems worse and she has no plan into the future even though it's very easy to predict how this needs to managed. 

Speaking of that, why did the bank just decide that it's next month or she's going to court? All she can do is keep making the monthly payment so it doesn't seem to be in the interest of the bank to enforce this arbitrary time limit, unless she's lying to me of course.

This has happened to me years ago here, i ended up losing my car / 20 rye of land etc etc my current G/F gets maximum 5000 P/M to cloth & feed our kids & THATS IT !

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

In my experience it’s worse here. 

They will tell the most ridiculous lies and make up unbelievable  stories to try and save face, and will dig in no matter what. 

Seems to me the OP girlfriend has just lifted the lid off the can. The contents will now slowly drip feed out along with the already prepared stories in an attempt to convince him to part with his cash. 

But on the plus side,

It's so much easier to get a new girlfriend here, that there's no point in enduring any nonsense from the current girlfriend. One of the ongoing themes on ThaiVISA, is why do Thai guys move on so often, and the OP has described exactly why they move on.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pravda said:

She obviously sees no future with you.

I disagree - I think she sees a future with him, one where he is supporting her financially whilst she keeps spending, gambling or whatever it is she is doing.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, genericptr said:

That was my first idea! She absolutely refuses to do this. I already failed by helping her at all after she refused to make sacrifices herself.

Wow! she must believe she's a bit of a princess.

You gotta flog that car and buy her a bicycle.

Then wait to get booted out...Problem solved!

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

She never changed, he never spent enough time with her to reveal her true self.

I've found you have to live with a Thai lady constantly for 3-6 months before their true nature is revealed.

OP is just a tourist.

I think they can fake it for up to a year.

Just like they fake I am good at sex.

• Haha 1

You're welcome Bro. One other point I'd like to say but didn't in my longer post is this. 

Now she is in this situation what are her spending habits TODAY. Is she completely focused on helping herself or not? Is she only spending what is available on NEEDS and the WANTS are now out of the window. Needs = food, water, essential clothing etc. Wants = fashion shoes or clothes, handbags, brand name cosmetics, new mobile phones, going out, alcohol, party's with friends. If she's still doing anything of the later and making excuses why she needs to then once again you have your answer. 

Most Thai people are in denial;
she will obviously continue to live as she has always lived;
purchase on credit of course of the next Apple smartphone at 1,000 euros or even more;
just her refusal to exchange the new vehicle she just bought when she doesn't have a side baht shows how completely she is living outside of reality.
In addition, this new vehicle will only belong to her when she has paid the 84 installments of her credit; meanwhile, it belongs to the bank which generously lent her the million baht in question;
bank which, too, is in denial because the director of the agency knows very well that at the slightest grain of sand she will be unable to repay her credit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Most Thai people are in denial;
she will obviously continue to live as she has always lived;

I would say so. It really doesn't appear like any of this is really hitting home to her but we'll see next month. Hopes are not high.

• Haha 1

I have managed to educate my GF to understand debt is bad, which I regard as something of an achievement. Thais do not understand future obligations, they live in the present.

Best option for the OP is to stay out of it. If she dumps him because he won't come to her aid, her true nature will be evident.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, genericptr said:

I would say so. It really doesn't appear like any of this is really hitting home to her but we'll see next month. Hopes are not high.

Let her go to court and let fear do its work, personal experience might make it real enough. More likely she will just beg you more to fix her problem for her. If you do she will expect the same every time...you cant learn the lesson for her, If your going to stand by her either marry her and take her under your wing as the head of the family or let her fix her problem herself or take the punishment.

• Like 2

It is your money, of course, and if you choose to throw it away that is on you.  But- be under no misunderstanding that by paying off her debts you will clear up financial woes.  (1) you will never get any money back ( if that’s your expectation), and

(2) the debts will rack up again immediately in expectation of further salvation.

and, there may be other existing debts she hasn’t warned you about and once the known debts are paid she’ll hit you with these.  This is a guaranteed path to hell.  Don’t choose that path.  In my humble opinion.????

Edited by rbmcn