Anti-China sentiment spreads around the globe along with coronavirus

webfact

No problem with Chinese people.  I just don’t want any group with suspected Wuhan virus to hang around me at an airport.

And don’t get me started on the Baht and currency inverse relationships...

Edited by Isaan sailor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not worried about it. As with most media hype, they report the deaths of frail OAPs from flu and make it sound like armageddon. Now I'm not saying it's a kind of wokecasting competition where I have to put up my Chinese credentials in order to have permission from the digital puritan mob to criticise them, but for those of us who have spent time in China, and know about the constant sound of grollying and the casual tossing of waste into the street, the emergence of itchy and scratchy stuff doesn't come as a massive surprise.

Of course lack of personal hygiene and and failure to meet HACCP standards is pervasive across the developing world, where populations are also on the high side, and with all the flying around the world going on, it's not silly to ponder on the rapidity that sneezey coughy symptoms can spread, but really, if people aren't exposed to illnesses, and if people don't look after themselves by eating nuts and seeds and laying off the booze now and then, then people will catch things and feel a bit rough for a few days, but they usually won't die.

The real context of all of this is that the Chinese government has rubbed up a lot of it's neighbours and trading partners the wrong way, and there is a kind of latent antipathy towards the Chinese hoi polloi, and when they start behaving in uncouth ways as it often reported on youtube, it feeds into a general antipathy towards them. I live in a bit of Bangkok that's full of Chinese tourists, and whilst there are many slobs who strain the patience of the locals, there are many fairly normal mainlanders, Taiwanese, HKers and such who get tarred with the same brush and don't really deserve it.

I was chatting in Chinese to a bird I know who's a regular visitor, and she didn't quite understand why I was annoyed at her banging on the window at 3am to be let in because she had chosen the cheapest flight that suited her without thinking about the arrival time and whether it might upset anyone at the arrival end... a lot of them are generally clueless about the world, and it's the fault of their education system. Spend time in noisy unhygienic internet cafes in china, and they don't seem to know that there are even any other countries outside China. She's a nice girl, and I understand why she's exploiting the cost-of-living differential between Thailand and China to make a 20% profit on importing schmutter into China to feed her baby.

I don't know if the Thai government is milking the Chinese tourists for all its worth to avoid having to back down on making life unnecessarily difficult for the much more profitable tourists from the USA, UK, and Australia, but, perhaps the latest scare stories about illnesses might encourage reflection on the part of the Thai authorities on the benefits of making life easier for tourists from other parts of the world eager to inject large amounts of money into the Thai economy, without such disease scares

Edited by codebunny
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 8:23 AM, PremiumLane said:

Questions, do you think every single Chinese person is the same?

Do you think a Canadian-Chinese person, who hasn't been to China in years, or was born in Canada should be harrassed in the street for being Chinese?

If there was a virus outbreak in your home country, how would you feel if people suddenly start harassing you, just because of your nationality? 

I would feel that I understand their logic. It might annoy me but I couldn't resent it. 

How do they know I didn't just arrive by air, boat, train, etc. If you did just arrive can you be sure you're not a carrier? 

It's called racial profiling and is perfectly reasonable under certain circumstances. 

But to make your point I invite you to hug every chinese person you see in the next month. Stand up for your beliefs. 

19 hours ago, rabas said:

Spanish flu, which also originated in China.

It's the latest hypothesis according to this:

More recently, experts have proposed a third hypothesis: The Spanish flu originated somewhere in northern China in late 1917 and swiftly moved to western Europe with the 140,000 Chinese laborers the French and British governments recruited to perform manual labor to free up troops for wartime duty

https://www.history.com/news/why-was-the-1918-influenza-pandemic-called-the-spanish-flu

21 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I'd pull in the reins on the Chinese bashing, people. This virus has already spread outside of China, and I'm starting to pick up anxious vibes from locals that, even as a non-Chinese foreigner, I might be a health hazard as well.

Insightful. The locals can't really determine who is a Chinese citizen from a Thai. But they can easily spot Westerners. They are going to want to blame somebody. They will want a scapegoat. An easily recognized one.

• Like 2

On 1/31/2020 at 11:00 AM, Eric Loh said:

It’s not fact and it’s a bigoted and racially charged view. 

You are wrong to single out the Chinese eating exotic food. China not the only country to eat exotic creatures. If you imply that eating is cause of the disease; you dead wrong as droppings and association rather than eating have been medically proven to be the causes. 

Again wrong to claim flu variations come from China. MERS originated from Middle East. Normal flu is just as dangerous. In US between the months of Oct - Nov, 910-2,400 people died from flu and 16,000-29,000 people hospitalized according to CDC reports. 

China is perhaps the only country in the world that can ordered a lockdown of a province of 11 million people by a single order. They are just as concern with the disease severity as the whole world. Many global health organizations including WHO are involved in stopping the spread. You can’t lie with such large exposure coverage by the world. 

You are wrong to single out the Chinese eating exotic food. China not the only country to eat exotic creatures. If you imply that eating is cause of the disease; you dead wrong as droppings and association rather than eating have been medically proven to be the causes. 

>>> If you eat some wild animals, that certainly increase the chance to have disease which only exist in the wild animals. Also, you are right that many countries only eat wild animals. However, In China they are obsessed to eat those things and you can go to their local poultry market for a visit which is like a zoo. Also,  please remember they have a "dog meat festival" in Quangxi ever year. They learnt the lesson from the SARS last time.

Again wrong to claim flu variations come from China. MERS originated from Middle East. Normal flu is just as dangerous. In US between the months of Oct - Nov, 910-2,400 people died from flu and 16,000-29,000 people hospitalized according to CDC reports. 

>>>>> Every year many people died from flu in every countries. This is a normal phenomenon.  However, this is a new decease and not a normal flu. That means people will suffer both this decease and normal flu now.

China is perhaps the only country in the world that can ordered a lockdown of a province of 11 million people by a single order. They are just as concern with the disease severity as the whole world. Many global health organizations including WHO are involved in stopping the spread. You can’t lie with such large exposure coverage by the world. 

>>> How to lock down? If they really want to lock down, why don't they inform the world earlier? Now, let infected people go everywhere. WHO? If my memory serves well, they said the virus was not as serious as you expected at the beginning.

This virus appeared in December but they kept it a low profile until they cannot cover it. Seven Wuhan netizens reported this on internet at that time and finally they got arrested. Until now, Noone know where they are.

On 1/31/2020 at 8:23 AM, PremiumLane said:

Do you think a Canadian-Chinese person, who hasn't been to China in years, or was born in Canada should be harrassed in the street for being Chinese?

If there was a virus outbreak in your home country, how would you feel if people suddenly start harassing you, just because of your nationality? 

The problem is, its hard to tell the difference...by the time you ask or get to know them, its too late as the virus may have spread to you...yes its on a par with a Davids Cross on Jews only this time its a valid reason

On 1/30/2020 at 7:23 PM, PremiumLane said:

I'm thinking maybe this being at least the second instance of China spreading disease worldwide may have more to do with it than people just harassing "just because of your nationality". Facts matter.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 2:23 PM, PremiumLane said:

Unfortunately, the real guilty party, IMO the Chinese government, will not be touched by the world wide condemnation.

The people that bear the most pain will, as always, be the people least able to take it- the poor.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 2

On 2/1/2020 at 5:45 PM, Chickenegg said:

Seven Wuhan netizens reported this on internet at that time and finally they got arrested. Until now, Noone know where they are.

They weren't arrested, myth no1, whatever the Western press says. Everyone knows where they are. They're in their hospitals fighting Cornona Virus, myth no 2. It was eight doctors of whom one posted that this virus bore a great similarity to SARS on a WeChat group.

He was "invited" to sign a criticism letter (a quaint old Commie custom) and promise not to go public without permission again. Four days ago he was found to have positive nucleic tests, i.e. he's got Corona Virus.

The High Court in their province recently publicly denounced the police for their actions.

Publicly. Which for anyone who knows China, is unheard of.

8 hours ago, pokerface1 said:

The truth is they are inconsiderate and often don’t give a dam about anyone else. I not saying they all are but way to many for their own good. I’ve been prejudiced against them and many of their ways just through seeing how dishonest they are when entering Australian immigration clearance. They don’t declare the food products etc They try to bring in suitcases of assorted foods often contaminated with insects and Eggs that are a bio security hazard in Australia. They know it’s against the immigration laws as they often try to conceal these products. Because this program is shown on TV weekly it’s definitely creating a very bad image of the Chinese people on a national basis. So I don’t blame anyone for being racist against the Chinese as I’ve seen how disrespectful they are. It’s up to them to change their attitude towards others so that we can change the way we treat and think about them. 

I'm not a racist but..... just read back your post. I have heard that most white Ozzies are amongst the most racist on the planet but I don't like to stereotype. 

• Like 2

On 1/31/2020 at 8:04 AM, crabbie2020 said:

Chinese are some of the most racist people on earth, even to their own kind e.g. muslims, hill tribes. They generally despise anyone foreign.

I'll be happy if they are permanently banned from travel! Their fault for putting up with being in a dictatorship!

Well said

1 hour ago, pokerface1 said:
Yes. Some people are disgusting and uneducated, they eat everything that moves and have total disregard for health/safety regulations. But most people aren’t like that.

Enough of this idiot argument "Most people aren't like that." If enough people in your country are "like that" to cause a global pandemic, your government and your nation are to blame. You are stuck in your city because it's been quarantined? Boo-hoo. The virus that the "some people" in your country created is killing people all over the world. But if your government can ban anyone from posting an image of Winnie the Pooh on the internet (true fact), why can't they ban "some people" from making actual pooh on the street? Why can't you, the Chinese people teach your own--all of your own--basic hygiene?

• Like 1

Funny how the PRC authorities try to cover up the true extent and nature of NCov, these actions will undoubtedly lead to a huge death toll but it seems like many vocal Chinese would prefer to lash out at foreigners and take offence because we don't want to catch their devil disease from the most likely vector.  China, do not blame us, your enemy lies within.

• Like 1