Thailand confirms first human-to-human coronavirus transmission, total number of cases now at 19

Jonathan Fairfield

According to the NYT, you should stay approximately 2 meters away from all people and don't touch any hard surfaces. ????

How far viruses travel

Coronaviruses like the Wuhan virus can travel only about six feet from the infected person. It’s unknown how long they live on surfaces.https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/asia/china-coronavirus-contain.html

subway-car-300.png

Edited by SiSePuede419
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The first patient to contract the virus inside Thailand is a Thai taxi driver, said Tanarak Pipat, deputy director-general of the Department of Disease Control.

I wonder how many other people the "carrier" managed to infect while enjoying themselves on holiday?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I wonder how many other people the "carrier" managed to infect while enjoying themselves on holiday?

That's the problem with the chest banging SAS forces that go around licking tables at Chinese buffets. While their superior immune system can easily fight off HIV, Ebola and Wuhan virus at the same time, they will go infect everybody on the next bar stool and before you know it, the elderly mamasan kicks the bucket. 

• Haha 1

One month in 258 deaths attributed to 2019 coronavirus to approx 33,000 from regular flu still a lot of catching up to do but very little concern shown by the multitudes about the regular flu which may mutate at anytime and cause a mass extinction of the human race.Now where's my ELEPHANT gun?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I think the 'horse' has already 'bolted' and the Corona virus is likely festering now in hundreds of people in Thailand and across the world.  New epicenters of the virus will be springing up everywhere.  Think where it started in Wuhan how long before it was identified.  Weeks.  And now over 10,000 infected.  And China has shut down cities and airports.  Other countries make have carriers who are not Chinese citizens who are spreading this about. 

This is not a regular influenza virus.  Corona has a higher per capita percentage death rate and needs a much more labour intense treatment regime requiring hospitalisation for many.  

A vaccination is the only thing that will slow this down now.  

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Round and round the world we go,

Spreading germs and death galore,

The panic and the nonsense said

by posters,

is becoming quite a bore.

Glad to help.

Sounds like a jingle from 1917.

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, aussienam said:

A vaccination is the only thing that will slow this down now. 

MERS and SARS,both members of the coronavirus family both slowed down without a vaccine and there are still looking for a vaccine for those two,so I wouldn't be holding my breath on this one. 

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

One month in 258 deaths attributed to 2019 coronavirus to approx 33,000 from regular flu still a lot of catching up to do but very little concern shown by the multitudes about the regular flu which may mutate at anytime and cause a mass extinction of the human race.Now where's my ELEPHANT gun?

The virus could be spread all through Thailand  killing people at a +2% clip yet some people on the internet will still be screaming "The regular flu kills 850k people a year though!!!!!". 

Just a heads up theirs this thing called a flu shot that gets redone every year to be up to date for the new strain of the flu. Its 50-60% effective at stopping the Flu completely. In the people it doesnt prevent the flu it lessens the affects. The flu kills under 0.01% so yeah its not very deathly. 

I'm going to start copying and pasting this whenever I see some guy say "but the flu the flu".

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/flu/in-depth/flu-shots/art-20048000

Edited by lovesthespicy

1 minute ago, shackleton said:

Well I think most of us here on this site were expecting the worse

I think I remember reading the virus symptoms  do not show up for 2 weeks

So interesting times coming up 

1 to 14 days and average 5-6 days. 

1 hour ago, SiSePuede419 said:

According to the NYT, you should stay approximately 2 meters away from all people and don't touch any hard surfaces. ????

How far viruses travel

Coronaviruses like the Wuhan virus can travel only about six feet from the infected person. It’s unknown how long they live on surfaces.https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/asia/china-coronavirus-contain

I hope the massage girl has long arms.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, lovesthespicy said:

The virus could be spread all through Thailand  killing people at a +2% clip yet some people on the internet will still be screaming "The regular flu kills 850k people a year though!!!!!". 

Just a heads up theirs this thing called a flu shot that gets redone every year to be up to date for the new strain of the flu. Its 50-60% effective at stopping the Flu completely. In the people it doesnt prevent the flu it lessens the affects. The flu kills under 0.01% so yeah its not very deathly. 

I'm going to start copying and pasting this whenever I see some guy say "but the flu the flu".

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/flu/in-depth/flu-shots/art-20048000

Yes fair call although I'm not really screaming as you put it.I found this info which have some different numbers to your source.

The respective mortality rates for SARS and MERS patients was 9.5 and 34.5 percent, far higher that for the new coronavirus, which French health minister Agnes Buzyn put at "less than five percent".

That rate is likely to decline, experts say, as the ratio of deaths to reported cases continues to widen.

The coronavirus "is less deadly than SARS or MERS, but it is more contagious," Buzyn said in a press conference Tuesday.

The seasonal flu, by comparison, kills 290,000 to 650,000 people per year, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). In the United States, the mortality rate among people infected with influenza is about 0.13 percent, the Centers for Disease Control has calculated.

https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-what-scientists-do-and-don-t-know-about-wuhan-coronavirus-so-far

18 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Something else to think about now.

US companies are banning anyone coming from China or Thailand, for coming to their locations.

I have been advised to get out of Thailand asap.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1