Re-entry permit @ BKK - experience.

Hi All,

A few words on my experience on getting a re-entry permit at BKK and entering at BKK on said permit.

I am on a TV, extended by 30d, permitted to stay until 20 FEB. Had to pop to Europe for a few days due to work obligations.

Decided to apply for a re-entry permit prior to my flight from BKK. Grabbed the form from the immigrationbangkok.com website (https://immigrationbangkok.com/thailand-immigration-forms/), filled it on my laptop, printed out and, equipped with a photo and 1k THB, went to the airport.

The re-entry permit counters are past security, one floor down, in the lower left (first counter) and upper left (a small room actually) of the immigration hall (if facing the immigration counters). There was just one guy ahead of me in the queue - took a few minutes to process him @ the first counter, as he did not have a form. In my case it was just a few seconds. The lady quickly checked the form, attached a photo and sent me to the second stage. Here, there was some confusion as I wrote Krungthep instead of Bangkok on my form, but it was quickly resolved by a senior IO. Then they took my 1000 THB, gave me my stamped passport in a couple minutes and sent me back to the queue to immigration counters. Whole process took 10 minutes, including the queue at the first counter.

On the way back there was some confusion - the lady IO clearly did not understand the concept of re-entry and assumed I wanted a waiver. She checked my ticket out of TH, asked me a few questions and called for a senior IO. I didn't even bother to talk to her - the senior IO immediately spotted the re-entry stamp and stamped me in until end of my existing permission to stay.

Story ends. Fanfares. Mad crowds cheering.

Edited by shadowofacloud
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I made that same mistake a long time ago until one IO (politely) pointed out that THIS is your visa number.......pointing to the small hand written number on the top left hand corner of the re entry stamp.

Now I always hand over my passport with the arrival card stuck in that page with the re entry visa on it.

Otherwise they can take forever going through a very full passport looking for it...the current one.

• Like 1

Yes, I think I overanalyzed the whole thing. To me it was a bit of a hierarchy:

Visa

- stay permit

- extended stay permit

- re-entry permit

All under the same visa "entity", to use technical nomenclature.  But it seems it is does not work this way.

Well, a lesson for future re-entries.

Edited by shadowofacloud

6 hours ago, shadowofacloud said:

Yes, I think I overanalyzed the whole thing. To me it was a bit of a hierarchy:

Visa

- stay permit

- extended stay permit

- re-entry permit

All under the same visa "entity", to use technical nomenclature.  But it seems it is does not work this way.

Well, a lesson for future re-entries.

The point is that Immigration at the airport needs to see the stamp/sticker that provides the authorisation for you to enter Thailand. In your case, that was the re-entry permit. Anything else they want is cross referenced from the re-entry permit.

17 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The point is that Immigration at the airport needs to see the stamp/sticker that provides the authorisation for you to enter Thailand. In your case, that was the re-entry permit. Anything else they want is cross referenced from the re-entry permit.

Thinking already explained. Anything further to add.