How has tourism downturn affected the market?

Where do you get the perception that there has been a tourist downturn ? Yes the demographic has changed, less western more Chinese etc, but year on year tourist numbers increase every year.

2019 saw more tourists then 2018, 2018 saw more tourists then 2017 etc etc

Growth may have slowed but numbers are still positive.

If you are noticing lots of hotels for sale, it may have something to do with where you are looking.

There will probably be a fallout from corona virus but I doubt hotels have for sale sign on then just yet.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

will they be replaced when they go home ?

No. China will be fighting the virus for months, and a good chance other countries - including Thailand - will too. Let's hope not, but if this gets bigger in Thailand you're looking at a situation of no tourists at all. I'm still in wait and see mode but with hundreds of unconfirmed cases already it is not looking good at all. The only question is whether the infection rate is the same as in China or not. If yes then we're already <deleted>.

The beach front restaurants seem to be doing ok in Jomtien. The bars are nearly empty. The restaurants on Thappraya are very quiet. Indian By Nature, generally full ish , have two girls outside giving out flyers, looks quiet inside. Maybe they have priced themselves out of the current market ?  I also think a lot of people come into Jomtien from Pattaya for the evening now. And of course the Bangkok gang on the weekends to flee the pollution, maybe more and more, although the pollution is very high here too. The night market is quieter with the Chinese absence, tho the beach games competition across the road seems to attract quite a crowd. I think next week it will be much quieter.

22 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

No. China will be fighting the virus for months, and a good chance other countries - including Thailand - will too. Let's hope not, but if this gets bigger in Thailand you're looking at a situation of no tourists at all. I'm still in wait and see mode but with hundreds of unconfirmed cases already it is not looking good at all. The only question is whether the infection rate is the same as in China or not. If yes then we're already <deleted>.

I start receiving emails from the major hotel chains (Centara...) advertising for big discounts available right now.

This is always a sign that something is wrong...especially early February.

Like you say, I wouldn't be surprised to see tourism go into a standstill within the next couple of months...

3 hours ago, geisha said:

The beach front restaurants seem to be doing ok in Jomtien. The bars are nearly empty. The restaurants on Thappraya are very quiet. Indian By Nature, generally full ish , have two girls outside giving out flyers, looks quiet inside. Maybe they have priced themselves out of the current market ?  I also think a lot of people come into Jomtien from Pattaya for the evening now. And of course the Bangkok gang on the weekends to flee the pollution, maybe more and more, although the pollution is very high here too. The night market is quieter with the Chinese absence, tho the beach games competition across the road seems to attract quite a crowd. I think next week it will be much quieter.

Yes agree I used to go to Pattaya most evenings now don't see the sense in it enough to do in jomtien prices not much different Baht of 2 less for a beer but definitely better than the hussle of pat 

21 hours ago, baansgr said:

I agree, many western families and young couples, never seen so many foreigners on the beach daytime. Beach road at night is a good atmosphere and could almost feel like somewhere in Europe....but no Chinese the past few weeks and definitely very very few bar hopping sexpats with bars empty.

Exactly what i saw too