Fake News! Thai woman arrested for saying someone died in Pattaya from coronavirus

webfact

Fake News! Thai woman arrested for saying someone died in Pattaya from coronavirus

4pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

The Thai police have arrested a Thai woman after she shared fake news on Facebook suggesting that someone had died in Pattaya after contracting the coronavirus. 

The Thai media said: You had been warned!

The technology police's Pol Maj Anan Buakaew and officials from the Anti-Fake News Center arrested Pattaya native Worawan (no surname supplied) under Article 14/2. 

The article relates to spreading malicious and fake news that is damaging to the country or damaging to the economy and which might cause confusion or panic.

Worawan's Facebook page contained the following:

"A person has died of coronavirus in Pattaya. Why has this news been suppressed? People would be able to protect themselves. They are more worried about the economy than the people".

Naew Na said that minister Buddhipongse Punnakanta of the Ministry of Digital Economy and Society had warned the public last week about sharing damaging fake news. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-06

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

My question is this: If someone posts something that is considered fake news (as a deviation from official accounts) and someone gets arrested like this woman, but it then turns out what she said was the truth and official media lied, will they let her go with compensation, and jail all the staff working for official news agencies and government who claimed that it didn't happen?

Great question....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

My question is this: If someone posts something that is considered fake news (as a deviation from official accounts) and someone gets arrested like this woman, but it then turns out what she said was the truth and official media lied, will they let her go with compensation, and jail all the staff working for official news agencies and government who claimed that it didn't happen?

You mean like what happened in China?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Scot123 said:

Sad day for Thailand. In my day it was called gossip accepted and ignored or taken with a pinch of salt. Cracking the whip over the people so sad. 

In your day gramps there was no social media LMAO 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Sad day for Thailand. In my day it was called gossip accepted and ignored or taken with a pinch of salt. Cracking the whip over the people so sad. 

Yes gossip.     For ALL FREE COUNTRIES.    But don't forget where you are !!!!!

If this isn't Communist Russia of the past    OR Communist China more recently    OR a Communist Military regime      THEN YOU MUST PROVE IT TO ME.

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Did she make it up?

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai police have arrested a Thai woman after she shared fake news on Facebook

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Does that answer your question?

NO, not at all.

You Must have an awful lot of 'BLIND TRUST' in the cops here if you think that the cops arresting her 'REALLY' means she did it (something wrong).    This is where the cops arrest you for money.    Not because you did something wrong.

I suggest you search further for something to justify arresting this woman.    LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Scot123 said:

reach is key.

before social media, gossip reached only a very limited number of people.

nowadays, the dynamics of social media are frightening. fake news is just one aspect of it. strength in numbers... the strength of stupid.

26 minutes ago, kensawadee said:
  9 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai police have arrested a Thai woman after she shared fake news on Facebook

NO, not at all.

You Must have an awful lot of 'BLIND TRUST' in the cops here if you think that the cops arresting her 'REALLY' means she did it (something wrong).    This is where the cops arrest you for money.    Not because you did something wrong.

I suggest you search further for something to justify arresting this woman.    LOL.

Ah Ken are you accusing me of justifying the arrest of this woman?I think I would like you to substantiate your baseless accusation please as the poster asked if she made it up and I supplied a quote in an attempt to answer his query,no mention did I make of justification of anything.Maybe you could follow your own advice and search further to substantiate you claim.I also don't recall you asking you any questions in relation to this matter.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Ah Ken are you accusing me of justifying the arrest of this woman?I think I would like you to substantiate your baseless accusation please as the poster asked if she made it up and I supplied a quote in an attempt to answer his query,no mention did I make of justification of anything.Maybe you could follow your own advice and search further to substantiate you claim.I also don't recall you asking you any questions in relation to this matter.

Thank you for the clarification.

But pleas do look at my post,    as I quoted it...     and try to see how your reply could have been 'intrepeded' as suggesting that "since the Thai cops arrested her" that meant she was guilty. 

Please don't take this as a personal assult, but look it a bit closer to see how I intrepeted it that way.     Very sorry for any harm done but please try to understand my reasoning.  The Thai cops are worthless robots working for a corrupt government.   I have known and loved Thailand for 40 years.   Only the past 5 years have I seen this sort of thing happening, Under the present regime.

37 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The Chinese video is very worrying... if nationwide they're running out of body bags then the death figures are being capped!

Why do you believe that? 

(Maybe they only get to be used once, so as not to infect the next occupant) Okay, not funny, but do they use them again or are they disposed of? 

On 2/6/2020 at 9:59 AM, webfact said:

The technology police's Pol Maj Anan Buakaew and officials from the Anti-Fake News Center arrested Pattaya native Worawan (no surname supplied) under Article 14/2. 

Now if only they would open a branch office in Washington DC! 

23 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Why do you believe that? 

(Maybe they only get to be used once, so as not to infect the next occupant) Okay, not funny, but do they use them again or are they disposed of? 

I guess the next occupant wouldn't care

On 2/6/2020 at 2:59 AM, webfact said:

The Thai police have arrested a Thai woman after she shared fake news on Facebook suggesting that someone had died in Pattaya after contracting the coronavirus. 

What about the guy who said he was "100% in control of the situation"?  That's what I call 'fake news'.