250 Phuket shops cleared of face-mask price gouging claims

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Sasiwimon Mongkhon, has confirmed that her office has investigated 250 complaints of retailers overcharging for face masks, but found none of them guilty enough to be charged. They were “just increased prices”, she said.

Maybe she should consider a carrier change, due to the incapability to understand that overpriced in this case can be used as a word for increased prices.

On the other hand, maybe that´s one step over her. She is only the:

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The chief of the Commercial Affairs

"Officials deemed that none of the 250 shops investigated were guilty of overcharging."

"Asked what was deemed to be a reasonable price for face masks, she said, “I cannot confirm that until the Commercial Affairs head office in Bangkok clarifies the standard price to us next week.”

• Haha 1

What is overcharging? If prices are not regulated or controlled, in a capitalist society, items will sell for what they will sell for. 

If prices are state controlled or regulated, it's not a free market and the prices are set by the government. Yet...see below.

Not guilty enough to be charged...just increased prices...

Strange statement.

Are they not guilty of overcharging? Yes, market forces increase the prices,supply and demand....

Are they guilty of overcharging? No. No known 'standard price' yet, so how can they know if the shops are 'overcharging' or not?

1 hour ago, Scott Tracy said:

What is overcharging? If prices are not regulated or controlled, in a capitalist society, items will sell for what they will sell for. 

If prices are state controlled or regulated, it's not a free market and the prices are set by the government. Yet...see below.

Not guilty enough to be charged...just increased prices...

Strange statement.

Are they not guilty of overcharging? Yes, market forces increase the prices,supply and demand....

Are they guilty of overcharging? No. No known 'standard price' yet, so how can they know if the shops are 'overcharging' or not?

Its called profiteering not Capitalism.

2 hours ago, stuandjulie said:

Its called profiteering not Capitalism.

Maybe.  Or the price may reflect the additional cost of expedited delivery, possibly from overseas.  I had a friend ask me if I could send cases of N95 masks from the USA.  If I had, the express fees would have driven the cost way up.  I declined, because I suspect they'd be too late to the party given the number of people scrounging for them all over the world.

Besides even if it was nefarious, who was profiteering?  The stores, or someone else higher up the distribution chain? 

And if it was someone higher up the chain, were they high enough to be untouchable?

22 hours ago, keith101 said:

Just typical Thai greed taking advantage of a bad situation .

but found none of them guilty enough to be charged. They were “just increased prices”, she said.

Just increased prices? What kind of horse hockey is that? How stupid are these people? Always some dumb feces falling out of their word holes? I think they teach stupidity in school here because noone is born this stupid. It's like talking to a fish. They just look at you with their mouth sucking in good air and out falls more stupid feces.

8 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

"they just increased prices". LOL. And what do you call that?

How DARE you post on a PHUKET thread- its for know-alls in Nakkon Nowhere who are completely unaffected by this story to comment. ????