Farangs who don’t wear face masks should be kicked out of Thailand says health minister

webfact

6 minutes ago, Yinn said:

IMO coronavirus is big OVERreaction. 

NOBODY die in thailand. 

Everyone panic. For what? 

More people have flu. More people die flu. 

* maybe I wrong. IMO

Yes, perhaps there is a general overreaction to this Coronavirus.  However, for me and the people I care about, wearing masks and washing one's hands are simple precautions to keep ourselves Coronavirus-free. 

Better to be safe than sorry.  ????

On 2/7/2020 at 2:22 AM, webfact said:

Farangs who don’t wear face masks should be kicked out of Thailand says health minister

"Health ministers who make stupid self serving remarks should be thrown out of government " says farang 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lipoman said:

Yes, perhaps there is a general overreaction to this Coronavirus. 

It depends if you believe the Chinese government is covering up the real death toll or not.

As a white guy, I believe I'm unlikely to catch it, but I wouldn't want my misses or kids to get it.

Edited by BritManToo

2 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Try researching instead of spouting rubbish. There is an old wives tales of the use of Farang to discribe white people: it is that when the first white people who were French started going to Thailand for trade etc and not walking street, the Thai's had a a problem saying Francaise/French and the word Farang was used which coincidentally is a apple like fruit with very white flesh! I personally find it very offensive and cringe when it is used by white non thai's to discribe themselves or compatriots. 

Watch the video and learn something.

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

No need, I have studied and known the origin of the word for over 30 years. 

A similar word is used in Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia and other countries.

All from the same origin.

Absolute rubbish. In Malaysia, the Malay word is Mat Salleh and the Chinese word is gweilo. In Indonesia, it’s blue. 

Admitting that you’re wrong is not a sign of weakness. Don’t be a Trump. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Yinn said:

IMO coronavirus is big OVERreaction. 

NOBODY die in thailand. 

Everyone panic. For what? 

More people have flu. More people die flu. 

* maybe I wrong. IMO

It would take me too long to explain. Try reading through a few threads on the subject and you'll realise how wrong you are.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yadon Toploy said:

The word farang is from Persian word farang (فرنگ) or farangī (فرنگی), refers to Franks, the major Germanic tribe ruling Western Europe. Frangistan (Persian: فرنگستان‎) was a term used by Muslims and Persians in particular, during the Middle Ages and later periods, to refer to Western or Latin Europe. According to Rashid al-din Fazl Allâh, farang comes from the Arabic word afranj. In Ethiopia faranj means white/European people. During the Muslim Mughal Empire when the Europeans arrived in South Asia, the Persian word Farang was used to refer to them since the Muslims knew the Europeans during their Crusades wars in the Middle East. The words also added to local languages such as Hindi and Nepali as firangi (Devanāgarī: फिरंगी) and Bengali as firingi. The word was pronounced paranki (പറങ്കി) in Malayalam, parangiar in Tamil, entered Khmer as barang, and Malay as ferenggi. From there the term spread into China as folangji (佛郎機), which was used to refer to the Portuguese and their breech-loading swivel guns when they first arrived in China.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farang?wprov=sfla1

I await your apology for being incorrect.

Your explanation is one theory. There are at least 3 different theories, all equally plausable, no one knows for sure. If your theory is correct where did the Lao/Issan word "baxi da" come from?

• Like 1

Yeah and your beloved Chinese that brought this curse upon us are saints right? This government really is incredible... most successful companies in Thailand were created by farangs providing occupation and tax revenues yet you spit on us preferring Chinese that only cause trouble.

If I had the chance I would move somewhere else really... xenophobic bastards

5 minutes ago, Yadon Toploy said:

The word farang is from Persian word farang (فرنگ) or farangī (فرنگی), refers to Franks, the major Germanic tribe ruling Western Europe. Frangistan (Persian: فرنگستان‎) was a term used by Muslims and Persians in particular, during the Middle Ages and later periods, to refer to Western or Latin Europe. According to Rashid al-din Fazl Allâh, farang comes from the Arabic word afranj. In Ethiopia faranj means white/European people. During the Muslim Mughal Empire when the Europeans arrived in South Asia, the Persian word Farang was used to refer to them since the Muslims knew the Europeans during their Crusades wars in the Middle East. The words also added to local languages such as Hindi and Nepali as firangi (Devanāgarī: फिरंगी) and Bengali as firingi. The word was pronounced paranki (പറങ്കി) in Malayalam, parangiar in Tamil, entered Khmer as barang, and Malay as ferenggi. From there the term spread into China as folangji (佛郎機), which was used to refer to the Portuguese and their breech-loading swivel guns when they first arrived in China.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farang?wprov=sfla1

I await your apology for being incorrect.

Rather than getting sidetracked over the exact meaning of Farang, and assuming it means something like "white caucasian", I have a few questions:

Last time I looked, no Africans have contracted the virus as yet. Have any "Farang" contracted the virus in China or outside of China? Is it possible the virus has an affinity for Asians?

1 minute ago, DannyCarlton said:

Your explanation is one theory. There are at least 3 different theories, all equally plausable, no one knows for sure. If your theory is correct where did the Lao/Issan word "baxi da" come from?

The etymology as I have posted is correct as I have studied the origins of the Thai language over 30+ years.

Boksida is guava and was probably adopted fairly recently to describe Westerners in Issan/Laos because farang now means guava in Thai. 

The word however has been around before the Thai language was invented.

On 2/7/2020 at 3:01 PM, Beggar said:

Some Farangs really don't understand the problem. It can take up to 2 weeks to show any symptoms. And you write that you just came back from Central Festival without a mask and are still alive. I am afraid the health Minister is correct,.. 

The world Health Organization is telling you are, Sir, as wrong as the health minister, 

Edited by Tchooptip
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Good point, I don’t know, hadn’t thought of that .

An American has been reported to have died in Wuhan I believe (mainland China for sure) but, again, "American" in this context is a tadge light on relevant info. My first thought was of Chinese descent back for new year, but then again it could be a person of any descent teaching English or working there in any number of capacities.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Good point, I don’t know, hadn’t thought of that .

So far only one person has died from novel coronavirus outside of China (unless you count one in Hong Kong), and that was a Chinese man in the Philippines who had just returned from China. One American lady died in Wuhan (possibly Asian but race not indicated), but she was 60 and frail from pre-existing medical conditions. A fatality rate of 2% is being touted, but the real number is probably lower due to unreported infections. There's also a good chance that the people who died from the coronavirus would have succumbed to a normal seasonal flu, which also kills many people annually, worldwide.

IMO the Thai official of this report needed an excuse to vent his hatred of foreigners, and in particular, white foreigners.  

• Like 1

Anutin is yet an additional embarrassment  to this country. He, quite obviously, has no clue what is really going on in the streets - although he was there distributing "masks" - which means, he has nothing better to do.

Get properly briefed by a medical expert on the transmission by droplets which make:
- immigration finger print scanners 
- shopping trolley handle bars 
- elevator buttons 
much more dangerous, considering the fact, that the health ministry could also teach the Thais to wash their hands on leaving the toilet. Unwashed hands push trolleys, get scanned at the immigration or move elevators. 

What a nerd ........... 

• Like 1

Anutin is yet an additional embarrassment  to this country. He, quite obviously, has no clue what is really going on in the streets - although he was there distributing "masks" - which means, he has nothing better to do.

Get properly briefed by a medical expert on the transmission by droplets which make:
- elevator buttons 
much more dangerous, considering the fact, that the health ministry could also teach the Thais to wash their hands on leaving the toilet. Unwashed hands push trolleys, get scanned at the immigration or move elevators. 

What a nerd ........... 

30 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

- elevator buttons 

What a nerd ........... 

Did you see him in the mall in Korat? He didn't wear a mouthmask and so did nobody around him....all thai persons of course.

And Anutin looked like a schoolboy with his baseballcap and poloshirt full of embroidery, as if he just arrived on his Honda Scoopi with blue lights and many hello Kitty stickers.

• Haha 1

On 2/7/2020 at 8:34 PM, rkidlad said:

So much wrong with what just came out of this little man's mouth. That was extremely racist and xenophobic. Very ugly to see a person of his stature in the government talking like this. 

I'm guessing some 'white people' said no when he offered them a mask. I'm guessing they may have refused to be in a picture. He's obviously lost face and just let words come out of his mouth in a fit of anger.

He asked Thai people to help kick out foreigners who don't wear masks. Let that sink in. A man who said this virus is like a common cold, who said stopping people coming in from mainland China won't make a difference, a man who's been seen in pictures with people who were ill not wearing a mask - has the audacity to tell people to help roundup people who don't accept his crappy masks and kick them out.

This man is one of the top men helping run this country. God help Thailand. 

Is this the man who denied drug conviction and imprisonment in Australia.

The Australians provided his records (allegedly) and Prayut makes him the minister of Health and says oh only another country, so does not matter about what you do overseas???

He would not be able to visit America or some other countries with a drug dealers conviction.

So why is he a minister at all????

6 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

The world Health Organization is telling you are, Sir, as wrong as the health minister, 

1. Not touching the mask with your hands.

2. Discarding after a maximum of 8 hours or if it becomes moist.

Few people will follow to these 2 important rules. There's a good chance that masks can increase the risk of infection.