Skullbreaker challenge: Parents and kids warned about new viral Tik Tok craze

rooster59

Skullbreaker challenge: Parents and kids warned about new viral Tik Tok craze

tik.JPG

Image: MThai

Parents and children in Thailand are being warned about a dangerous new craze that originates from the hugely popular social media app, Tik Tok. 

Known as the ‘Skullbreaker challenge’, Thai media warned that those participating in the craze risk being injured or inflicting serious injury to others.

The challenge involves two people kicking the feet from under a third participant as they jump in the air. This then knocks the third person off balance, often causing them to land on their head.

The craze is understood to have started in South America and after going viral has swept across social media after being shared on the Tik Tok app.

Such is Tik Tok’s popularity amongst Thai teenagers it is only a matter of time before the craze reaches Thailand, that is if it hasn’t already. 

Earlier this week, the popular Drama Addict Facebook page warned parents and teachers about the Skullbreaker challenge.

“Parents whose kids use Tik Tok should watch this urgently”, the warning read. 

“If any teachers or parents see kids doing this, stop them immediately”, the warning continued.

“And teach children not to follow this stupid online challenge”.

You might not be familiar with Chinese born social media app Tik Tok. 

The app is hugely popular with teenagers and young people the world over. 

In fact, it is so popular that it was the second most downloaded app in 2019 - proving more popular than Facebook, Facebook Messenger and Instagram. 

In 2019, Tik Tok got over 700 million downloads, only beaten by Facebook owned WhatsApp, which had around 850 million downloads.

What makes Tik Tok’s rise in popularity all the more remarkable is that the app was only launched in 2016. By comparison the likes of Facebook and Instagram are more than a decade old.

For those that aren’t aware, Tik Tok allows users to share 15 second video clips which can be accompanied with funny sounds, songs or special effects.

Some of the other controversies surrounding Tik Tok include how it collects data on its users, which are predominantly children and young people, its reported links to the Chinese government and censorship from Beijing. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-16
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

For those that aren’t aware, Tik Tok allows users to share 15 second video clips which can be accompanied with funny sounds, songs or special effects.

A bit like some of the TV comedy shows with presenters who are famous.... as soon as I hear the sound effects I switch off!

"The challenge involves two people kicking the feet from under a third participant as they jump in the air. This then knocks the third person off balance, often causing them to land on their head."

Fortunately, no lasting damage is ever done - this being Thailand.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

And i never will.

We'll but I suppose you use a mobile with a lot of China made Equipment. And for Huawei and others eg Oppo they work with emulations. 

Probably we have to admit to see more and more being influenced by China. 

38 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

We'll but I suppose you use a mobile with a lot of China made Equipment. And for Huawei and others eg Oppo they work with emulations. 

Probably we have to admit to see more and more being influenced by China. 

Indeed, though I do not personally share the common xenophobia vis-a-vis the Chinese. the writing is already on that wall for all who care to read it.

6 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

I’m sure you guys pulled chairs out from under people as they sat down. Same thing!

Slamming your head into the floor from about two meters doesn't come close to slamming your butt onto the floor from about one meter. Not even close.