do consulates take any interest in one's occupation?

Do consulates and border crossings take any interest in what you put for your occupation ?

If so, do they cross-check with an individual's previous visa applications/border entry forms ?

Because my stated occupation is something that one might associate with digital nomads, I fear being colonoscopied at some point about whether or not I'm "working" in the country, etc. 

Would it be safer for me to state an occupation that is less digitally nomadic ?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

I have been on retirement in Thailand since 2007. I have a professional qualification and I always used to state that profession as my occupation, rather than  "retired". 

All was fine for several years, until one day I was "invited" to attend immigration, for no apparent reason.

I had filled in an application form stating my profession as  usual... it was for a licence which requires police and security checks. I was accused, with no evidence to sustain it, that I was working without a WP, and how much was I prepared to pay to overlook the offence?

I offered 2000baht. The offer was put before the big boss. Not enough, came the answer.

I declined to increase the offer, and my explanation of being retired was accepted - no money changed hands!

I no longer state my profession, I just use "retired"!

So yes, they do care what you say!

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Grusa said:

I have been on retirement in Thailand since 2007. I have a professional qualification and I always used to state that profession as my occupation, rather than  "retired". 

All was fine for several years, until one day I was "invited" to attend immigration, for no apparent reason.

I had filled in an application form stating my profession as  usual... it was for a licence which requires police and security checks. I was accused, with no evidence to sustain it, that I was working without a WP, and how much was I prepared to pay to overlook the offence?

I offered 2000baht. The offer was put before the big boss. Not enough, came the answer.

I declined to increase the offer, and my explanation of being retired was accepted - no money changed hands!

I no longer state my profession, I just use "retired"!

So yes, they do care what you say!

Great story and the kind of corruption I am hearing more and more  Let's round up all the farangs with retirement visas who give a different occupation. We have a chance of scoring some money with them so our gf, mistress or wife can have more plastic surgery or I can make the payment on the pickup I overbought on.

I often give my occupation as retired teacher. Some polite old-fashioned Thais have respect for teachers.  

Edited by Isaan Alan
make it better!
  • Like 1

I used to put in different things, but started simply using "business owner" a year or two ago - that kinda both shows that one might have some cash/status, but not what type or which country that is in...

Now I'm on a work permit with my own company here, so even then no need to change it! ????

If I change visa later I might even keep it up, then just pointing to my sole proprietorship in my home country if asked - or anything that will suit the situation...

I use "retired managing director" and never been questioned on it. I'm 52 and still have businesses in the UK but are Thai Immigration (or other offices) bothered about it so long as one has the correct visa/extension and meet the criteria? 

Edited by soi3eddie

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

I use "retired managing director" and never been questioned on it. I'm 52 and still have businesses in the UK but are Thai Immigration (or other offices) bothered about it so long as one has the correct visa/extension and meet the criteria? 

Are you retired or still working? It's not the same thing. What is correct extension for you? 

As usual for all paperworks, put something that is as vague as possible without being a lie.

As stated many times, as long as you don't do any business inside Thailand or taking a Thai job they don't care.

This whole <deleted> of work permit is to control and protect the economy of a country, nothing else.

Now suppose I am wrong, worst case scenario offer to pay a "fine" of 5k to 10k THB as soon as you get in trouble and it would be like nothing happened ... Welcome to Thailand.