Brake failure! Warnings about removing shoes after car slams into power pole

webfact

53 minutes ago, neeray said:

Seems to me like unless some very weak person was driving this vehicle, a firm press of the brake pedal would bend that rubber flip flop out of the way PDQ.

Nonsense !

A flipp flopp yeah but the pix shows different and they are strong.

Why didn't she steer out of the way, use the handbrake or slam into P. ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neeray said:

Seems to me like unless some very weak person was driving this vehicle, a firm press of the brake pedal would bend that rubber flip flop out of the way PDQ.

Nonsense !

True, not so easy when a "stubby" bottle of San Miguel gets stuck underneath, according to a "friend" :whistling:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Just another reason for not taking responsibility for the inability to judge speed and distance...

power pole = poor driving behaviors 

She will sue shoe company 

• Haha 1

When i first came here and started driving i couldn't believe the type of footwear other drivers were using, downright dangerous but then later noticed my BIL, who drives a Yellow Bus, drives with flip flops on or with bare feet depending on what 'mood' he is in.  This is a man driving Public Transport that people would like to think is safe but he has other 'practices' too, like driving with one thumb on the steering wheel at high speed, allowing his two and three year old Nieces to be unrestrained in the front seats and drinking Beer while on the road every day.   Just another day in the life of a Public Transport driver !

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

A flipp flopp yeah but the pix shows different and they are strong.

Why didn't she steer out of the way, use the handbrake or slam into P. ????

Yes, with the unlucky stuck you would have problems to break.

Adding to the mess: obviously not the original car mat but some cheapo rubber not fitting (look at the accelerator). On original Mazda car mat (driver side) is fixed at two hooks and can not slide around.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Susco said:

Why would it be dangerous to remove your shoes after your car has slammed into a power pole?

Because you might cut your feet on any broken glass when you flee...silly billy.

• Haha 1

I had an old oz friend who had been a para medic who told me how he would collect severed toes after crashes where people wore "Thongs" or open toe sandels. Surley the that police should also know this and be advicing people not to wear them in fact advising them to wear proper shoes when driving instead they advise driving bare feet. Ah well they probably grew up driving scooters from the age of 12 with thongs or bare feet..... 

6 hours ago, neeray said:

Nonsense !

Loks like a trainer to me me not a "flip flop/thong"

26 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

I had an old oz friend who had been a para medic who told me how he would collect severed toes after crashes where people wore "Thongs" or open toe sandels. Surley the that police should also know this and be advicing people not to wear them in fact advising them to wear proper shoes when driving instead they advise driving bare feet. Ah well they probably grew up driving scooters from the age of 12 with thongs or bare feet..... 

If I am going any distance always wear shoes, but will go bare foot for short trips if wearing thongs. Will never drive in thongs in a car or on a bike as it is too easy for your foot to slip in them.

• Like 1

I believe there is a significant difference between the pressure you exert on the brake pedal betwen a shod foot and an unshod foot. Thongs (flip flops) have always seemed dangerous to me under any circumstances 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I used to wear thongs when driving but found that sometimes when moving the foot from accelerator to the brake pedal the top of the thong at the side would catch under the brake pedal stopping my foot from actually getting over the brake pedal to push.

I now wear Crocs that stop that from happening.

JFYI not real Crocks but cheap copies that have thinner soles so can still feel the pedal.

:smile:

• Like 1